Big Foot Camper + GMC Topkick (4x4) = Expedition Camper

To some of those that know me or follow me on Instagram (@ministry.of.adventure), this won't be a surprise as I have been posting and talking about this for quite some time, my wife and I have decided that we would like to upgrade from a truck & RTT to a four-season expedition rig.

A quick recap of our thought process that led us to where we are now:

Let's do a flat deck ¾ ton or 1-ton truck with a flatbed camper, nah we want more room. So a 4x4 sprinter it is… nah too #vanlife. So a LMTV with a composite box ? Nah that’s $12,000 for just the shell of a habitat box with some windows, and we still need to design a sub-frame and then have 1000 un-knows about the truck and need some heavy duty tools….. So a flat deck 1 ton with a camper?.... It went on like this for over a year.

How we found the truck:

Then finally I found out that my pop’s (being close to retirement) was going to be selling off some of his equipment and taking less work as he eases into retirement. One of those pieces of equipment is a truck that I always told him I wanted if he ever decided to sell:
IMG_1296.jpg

It’s a Topkick with 4x4, turbo diesel, Allison transmission and enough room for a 12” camper body without modifying the chassis.
As soon as he let me know he wanted to let it go I decided to jump on buying the truck!

Figuring out the habitat portion of the build:

Options on the table were quite simple
  • build something from scratch
  • heavily modify something that is already in existence

A big guiding principal I used to make decisions and guide me so far is that I don’t want this build to look “homemade” … even though it is.

My first thoughts were to take a fiberglass truck camper and make it into a flat deck camper by cutting out the sides and extending the walls down to maximize internal space. (you know the space thats missing to make room for bed sides on a norma; truck)

That left me with one big issue… truck campers aren’t generally very long, so I would need to also extend the body to fit the length we were wanting.

At the end of the day, I didn’t have confidence in my abilities to blend all of these changes and not have it look homemade.

We went with a 5th wheel camper…
bigfoot-fiberglass-trailer_10435696.jpg

While searching for the longest fiberglass truck camper on the market I came across a company that has been making fiberglass trailers and campers since the 80’s called “Bigfoot” what I also found out about them is that they make a 5th wheel trailer that is 19’ long; 12’ for the main body and 7’ long for the cab over portion.

Now if you read this whole thing, you will note that I had 12’ of capacity without making any changes. PERFECT!

With the 5th wheel “all I need to do is fill in the wheel wells”. Granted this is a lot less work then I was originally thinking of taking on, it will still take a lot to have it seamlessly blend into the rest of the body.

We found up a beat up old girl that needed some love

Most of these fiberglass trailers seem to hold their value and were more expensive then I wanted. That being said they came with appliances and insulation and hoards of testimony stating that these little buggers are excellent and worth the $$.

We checked out one locally for $8,000 to take some measurements and see if it would work. We were happy with how it appeared but we figured with winter coming there was bound to be an offseason deal to be had.

And there was! I came across an ’84 that had not been used for 2 years and needed work for $2,800. The problem was that is happened to be 300 km’s away and I knew it wouldn’t last long.

So ignored the urge to do what any responsible person would do bought it sight unseen.

7cace22ea2087c3e87a54226042c8e2a.jpg

ee6af515b4c5d4ccfca0c3c47f490eee.jpg

e6508805d67252e8e4facb67d4a541c0.jpg

High end** Render of what we are looking to achieve:

3092ed46a80d0a37bb4bfe21cf22bfa4.jpg

landscape.png
**ms paint render

Initial Plan:

The original plan was to get the camper mounted onto the truck, use it for a year and then see what we would like to change and do a bit of a remodel after having some time in it. That never happened! After cleaning out the dead bugs and other disgusting items left behind (check Instagram for that video) we realized that there was/is a water issue and that we would not be able to wait before we do a remodel. It had to start now!

Work done up to now:

This basically brings us up to date. The camper has been stripped of its interior, holes have been filled and my neighbors are confused.

I am currently working on the subfloor and hope to start filling in the window voids (new windows will be installed later).

8d969a3603701c55c42882c5a5a207f2.jpg

7fa877c6ac0c3d9cfcc73a330f53059c.jpg

6b99dd15af5a14695f39e9d00ae1b367.jpg

f4b25f43f16bb037b719959ffd994fdb.jpg

671462641a1ef94c55eee443202a78bf.jpg

Next we will be framing the walls and ceiling next. That will be followed up with insulation, wiring, plumbing and basically everything else that needs to be done…

This will likely be much more of a discuss and a recap of what we do, for detailed posts we will be posting that stuff on our website:

ministryofadventure.ca

Last edited:

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
awesome, welcome to the kodiak/topkick club :D

been working on my 3-4 month project for over a year :( .... currently waiting on Staz to send me inserts for my mrap wheels so i can build the wheels and mount them. anyway have fun and will definitely be following along with your progress

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Bigfoot makes a great rig. For us the biggest issues were enhanced propane storage and enhanced potable water storage. I replaced a couple of the double pane windows (there was a manufacturing issue), but they make sturdy campers that are a good starting point.

Jo_Duval

Observer
love this!

I am currently sketching a floorplan for a 12' main floor plus overhead bed, a big foot fifthwheel seems like an amazing solution to saving a lot of time and making it not look home made like you said!

I always loved driving around our work topkick except when unloaded... haha. this is going to be a great build!

Nice build. Sounds like we must be almost neighbors if you're only 100km from Canadian Rockwell in Red Deer. I'm 100 km west in Rocky. Checkout my build thread on my 550.

I am just in Chestermere so it might be a tad over 100 km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigfoot makes a great rig. For us the biggest issues were enhanced propane storage and enhanced potable water storage. I replaced a couple of the double pane windows (there was a manufacturing issue), but they make sturdy campers that are a good starting point.

Yeah these windows are all single pane and some showed signs of leaking so they are all getting replaced.

I decided to move away from any appliance that will run off of propane so no need for increasing the storage capacity... that said if I were keeping the old stuff I would definitely be taking a look at bigger storage

love this!

I am currently sketching a floorplan for a 12' main floor plus overhead bed, a big foot fifthwheel seems like an amazing solution to saving a lot of time and making it not look home made like you said!

I always loved driving around our work topkick except when unloaded... haha. this is going to be a great build!

Thanks! I sure hope it works as well as the image I have up in my brain hole!

Update time:

Had a massive set back over the weekend... the weatherman was forecasting 1” of snow and we got 6”....

Normally I wouldn’t blink an eye at that however it caught me off guard and I didn’t have enough roof supports to manage that sort of weight.

So the roof caved in under the load:

94854542e88ce7b9307ca1a4575895f4.jpg

4f19d28be8bc485317e0ad42b382062a.jpg
aa7ff4401cae632adbd48a7f1c526fd2.jpg

So after some shoveling I was able to pop the roof back into place and then put a better brace in....

I was waiting until the floor was finished and in before I rebuild the roof (and walls) the way I wanted. But I couldn’t do that until the wheel wells were cut out and fiberglassed in.... but it’s too cold for the resin to set... so I am in a holding pattern for better weather

Fatboyz

Observer
Looks like your building area is the same as mine, in the driveway in the Cul de sac. I have a friend who let me in his shop to paint my chassis when the box was off. Some weekend before Christmas I'm getting in again to prime and paint the box. Dang long Alberta winters put a damper on building!!

Jo_Duval

Observer
Oh no!

How was it frame from factory? 1x1 wood studs and roof support? Happy to hear you got it back in shape maybe wise to put a temp wall in the middle?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Oh man...that snow without the roof supports was a spot of bad luck. Hope there are no long term issues. Shouldn't be, those Big Foot campers / trailers are well built. If it were a lesser brand, you probably would have been scrapping this by now.

Interesting build, following.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78