Big guy clothing?

Wilbur

Adventurer
I have issues all around with clothes fitting. The only brand of jeans/shorts I can find to fit is american eagle or polo ralph Lauren. Also shirts (mostly polo or button down) seem to end up being way too long if tall or shrink to where I can wear them for being too short.

I'm afraid to buy some of the adventure clothing but Worried about shrinkage or fitment issues. Any opinions on clothing would be great.

I normally wear 44" pant or xxl shirt. I'm also trying to get smaller but that's not happening as easy as I'd like.

Token

Explorer
AE makes stuff that big..?? hhmmm.. I've kinda lined them up with the Holister, Ambercrombie stuff that doesn't come any larger than medium..

jimed43

Adventurer
Bass Pro, has alot of bigger sizes... I know the feeling about polo, but wow the price is super high. Also Nautica has some stuff, Eddie Bauer, and LL Bean.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Go to a big and tall shop. I'm 6'5" and upwards of 300lbs and have no problems finding clothes at big and tall shops. It may not be the fanciest "adventure clothing" out there, but it will suffice.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i have been more and more happy with cabelas clothing. the big clothes they sell are actually proportioned, at least for me.

DblD

Adventurer
Hey,

I’ll throw in my 2 cents worth here. I’m about 6’3”- if I stand up straight and I tip the scales at around 320 or 330 – think ex (very-ex) defensive lineman body type. I wear a 48” waist, 32” inseam and a size 60 suit coat. I have found a few companies that make adventure or expedition type clothing that is large enough for my girth.

Here’s what I have found:

Pants and Shorts: Wrangler Riggs Ranger rip-stop material pants and shorts. Wrangler Riggs Logger jeans. Duluth Traders Fire Hose pants and shorts (pricey but guaranteed for life – I don’t like the placement of the front belt loops so I take them to a seamstress to have them moved when I get a new pair)

Shirts: Lands Inn polo knit shirts (you have to look in the Corporate Outfitters Catalog for the larger sizes but you can buy just one or two at a time). Carhart long sleeve button down shirts. Duluth Trader Long Tail Tees, a staple of my wardrobe, available to 4XL and they stay tucked in – one negative about the Long Tail Tees. If you want to go shirt tail out, I think they are too long and look a bit too much like I’m trying to be the next plus-size rap star.

A note about shirts… Eddie Bauer, up until recently, had shirt sizes up to 4XL Tall. For some reason they are no longer carrying the 4X size and I curse Eddie’s moms grave for this (just kidding – but very disappointed)

Jackets: Columbia makes nice fleece jacks for something light weight. Add a waterproof shell from Columbia, Bass Pro, or Cabelas and you’ve got a good warm coat capable of handling anything but the coldest nor’easter.

Footwear: Past jobs have required steel toe boots. I got used to this and like the extra protection that it affords my feet. For boots I prefer Redwing. For summer wear and casual I think it’s hard to beat Keen shoes. For hiking and general kicking-the-cats, I like the way La Sportiva boots from REI fit my box-car like feet.

Here are a few online retailers that I have had good luck with:

http://www.drafthorseclothing-bigandtall.com/

http://zemskys.com/

http://ocs.landsend.com/cd/frontdoor?store_name=corpsales&store_type=1

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/home.aspx?feature=Image_Link_10

Hope this helps.

dd

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I'm 6.6 and 290.
I've had good luck @ Outdoor World/ Bass Pro. I take a 42-44 waist depending on how the pant is cut and have picked up some decent canvas shorts @ Sams Club of all places.

Xxl

I'm 6'3" and 245. I like Columbia. They're generally a lot cheaper than other brands too. I live in the South so I go to Belk when they're running sales and get their Roc Pants and Half Moon shorts pretty cheap. I like their fishing button downs too. I hike/paddle a lot and they keep me cool. They're great for fly-fishing too. Patagonia makes a fairly generous XXL too

Last edited:

Eeyore

I second DblD on Riggs by wrangler. Generous cut and last a long time. I'm 6'3" and 275# and have a tall torso and short legs. Carhartt generally gets me by for t-shirts and other shirts.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
6'4", 280 here. I've ordered from the JCPenny Big and Tall catalog for decades.

Usually everything fits fine, but occasionally something doesn't. What I always do is order from the catalog for in-store pickup. They call me when it gets there, and I go and try it on at the store before I take it home. If it doesn't fit, then they'll handle it right there - either a return and credit, or ordering another size.

I have gotten several REALLY NICE leather jackets from that catalog over the years at EXCELLENT prices (jacket prices are lower in the summer edition catalog).

http://www.jcpenney.com/products/Cg13136.jsp

EDIT: For pants, I prefer Levi's 501s. Can usually be ordered from any Levi's dealer in large sizes. I usually order 44/32 shrink to fit. 3 pairs usually runs around 100 bucks or so. When new I wear them for a few days to stretch them out, then HOT WASH and HOT DRY to shrink. When you get into the larger sizes, knowing how much larger to order so they shrink just right is something of a black art - figure on trying a few sizes till you get it nailed.

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Well, I'm in good company!:coffeedrink:

I'm 6'0" and (finally down to) 250#'s. My weight has gone up and down between 210 and 305.

Like dwh, I've had good luck with the JCPenneys Big&Tall.

For pants, the Sams Club 'Members Mark' jeans, and I have some tactical pants (I think from 501?) They are a desert tan ripstop material, and nice enough for going out for dinner, etc. and tough enough for out on the trail.

Duluth Trading is great also, and has a 'no questions asked' return policy. Plus thier sizing chart is very accurate.

My biggest problem is shoes/boots:Wow1:

I like the Redwing boots, and will be looking at a new pair soon.

My biggest problem is finding something that's ankle high and can be slipped on.

With my back and hips, I can't tie my boots first thing in the day:snorkel:

I need to be up and moving for an hour or two, before I can bend down enough to tie them.

Finding something that's comfortable, and can be worn with the laces loose, and fit my big,flat,wide,square snow board feet, is a challenge!:elkgrin:

Going to check out the La Sportiva boots from REI .

HB
:coffeedrink:

BIGGUY

Adventurer
clothes

I'm in the same boat as everyone else in here.

I buy from JCP, Cabelas, and King Size Catalog. I've used JCP for years and have had good luck. Cabelas has been good too until lately. I've noticed some of their sizes have really changed. I have some of their thermal underwear that I've used for about 3 years now. I ordered three new pairs in three different weights in the same sizes as I now own. They were way too small so I had to send them back and none of them were available in the bigger sizes as they were back ordered.

I've gotten a lot of t-shirts and jeans from King Size and have had pretty good luck. The sizes here are sometimes different also. I ordered some briefs recently in a size bigger than I normally get from JCP and they are too small. They look like 2/3 copies in size.

colter

Observer
I'm 6'8" and 350 lbs. I shop at cabela's for carhartts, and t-shirts, and eotac sells big sizes in their excellent cargo pants. look at beyond tactical for custom outdoors clothing made to your measurements. for boots, my lathrops are great though expensive, and danner and lowa work well and come in bigger sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle