"Big Red" GMC Savana build

aksavanaman

So in hopes of lighting a fire under my behind, I'm starting this build thread to document the transformation of my 2007 GMC Savana from a passenger hauler to a capable "family-get-away" vehicle. Let's start with how I purchased her last year:

2007 GMC Savana 1500H, AWD, 5.3L, G80 rear locking Diff, 8 Psngr with 69800 Miles when bought (now 75K) for $11,500 from a guy in town... $3500 under KBB, but it did come with a little dent in the hood, missing GMC emblem and bumper cover. Previous owner's 16 year old left it in N and rolled into a poll:smiley_drive: ... not the end of the world, just superficial "love"?

Didn't have a whole lot of plans with it, and I wasn't even looking to buy another vehicle....I just knew that the wife wanted a "slew" of kids, and a Minivan just wasn't going to get the job done. We have one daughter so far... what's your guys' definition of a slew???:Wow1: But after stumbling across this forum I got an itch... a big one! Why settle for a big "mom" van when I could potentially have "Big Red"... DAD'S VAN!

My budget is tight, so long nights and busted knuckles and garage tinkering are a must for me! So far modifications are minimal but include:

* 235/85R16 BFG's on factory "modified" rims... great for plowing through the rain we get here in Kodiak, and at almost 32" a decent sized tire
* Adjusted front torsion bars to level the van... about 1" from stock
* GoRhino Grille Guard with Hella 500FF's

Near Future:
*RhinoLine/Linex weather stripping on sides and hood
*New bumper cover (not really happy with the 3" gap between the bumper and body)
*Custom full length aluminum Safari roof rack from a local fab shop
*Rear tire carrier either on bumper or door
*New extended shocks to allow for full torsion bar adjustment and lift blocks in the rear for added clearance
*Removable cabinetry and bed in the rear... but retain at least one row of seating
*Dual Battery and inverter
*Insulating interior
*Roof tent (mom and dad will take the van... kids can camp up top!)
.... lots more, ideas are endless right?

Sorry I don't have any pics right now, weather has been pretty crappy...although for AK, not to bad. We've got a sunny day tomorrow, I'll try to employ my wife's new camera!
Thank you in advance for any and all future advice and hello to my fellow Chevy/GMC AWD full sized counterparts!

Chris

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing this. I like the big bowties, not enough of them being built up.

However, I believe it's rule 6b that states that every few paragraphs you need to insert photo of said subject. How bout some pics of that Big Red machine. (Actually, now that I think about it, rule 6b may be from a different forum...but you get the idea.)

aksavanaman

Here are some pictures as promised
DSC_0012.JPGDSC_0015.JPGDSC_0018.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 154

aksavanaman

Just noticed the thumbnails attached, does that usually happen when you post pictures or did I "newb" the post by doing something wrong?

brettf

Adventurer
I think that's normal if you attach the photos. If you linked to photos you had stored on your own server or somewhere else, that wouldn't happen.

Van looks awesome!

1sweetvan

Adventurer
A slew of kids, IMO, would be more than 3. I've got 3 princesses and a female Chocolate Lab, that's busy enough for me. But if I had started earlier, I'd have filled up that 12 passenger.

Oh, nice van BTW. I like the driver side doors.

aksavanaman

A slew of kids, IMO, would be more than 3. I've got 3 princesses and a female Chocolate Lab, that's busy enough for me. But if I had started earlier, I'd have filled up that 12 passenger.

Oh, nice van BTW. I like the driver side doors.

That's why any interior modifications need to be removable! Gotta keep the option of that 2nd bench and cargo when I need it! I figured a slew would be more than three! We'll see when we get passed that point! I just finished putting in a layer of insulation in the back... just the doors and side walls of the cargo area... will do the headliner and front doors next. Kept it simple for now, just one layer of "foil-bubble-foil" insulation (not cheap up here on the Emerald Isle) and used 3M type spray adhesive... turned out pretty well I think, good enough for my standards anyways.

****LESSONS LEARNED****

The driver side blower in the rear isn't just there to blow air (I'm usually quite mechanically inclined so please forgive my laps of judgment!) It's got both AC and Heater Lines running back there into the unit. In my "laps of judgment" I just thought it was en electric fan that was glued to the floor after removing 2 bolts....WRONG! Lucky me I didn't break any AC lines.. just disconnected the heater line as I tried to be Hercules at 1 AM... losing about a quart+ of coolant...DUH. Thankfully no lasting harm done, just extra work re-attaching the heater hose.

Did a driveway trial of sleeping in the back without the insulation and a (very) small space heater in the front (electric)... still quite cold even with the heat, averaged about 15 degrees warmer than outside temps (dropped to 31...in MAY!) Will do another test soon now that insulation is in....

aksavanaman

Before I dropped the money on a professional linex or herculiner for my exterior weather striping, I thought I'd give the good old spray can a try. This is Dupli-color spray on bedliner, and I think ran around $10 for the can. I figured if it works and actually last without major chipping, this would be the cheapest and easiest way to add some protection and would be easy to touch up. If it ends up sucking...oh well, some sand paper and elbow grease and I can go with the other options. I took my time prepping the surface, giving it a good sanding with 180 grit sand paper and a wipe down to remove dust. I then used the whole can on just this part of the hood, probably 5-6 coats... I'll keep you guys posted on how it holds up. If I'm satisfied, I'll do the fenders doors and quarter panels next.

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

And here are some real horsepower adding accessories!
DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

And just so you know what kind of weather this stuff has to hold up to.... this is what's left of the 5" of snow we received last night... even for AK snow the middle of May is a little over the top, I'm ready for some green!!!!
DSC_0072.jpg

Last edited:

Hoosier Daddy

Observer
Love the stickers!
It will be high 80s before the week is out in Dallas. I figure the right climate is found somewhere between us. :hehe:

foytix

dude I have to get one of those Zombie Outbreak decals.....awesome. My wife and I settled on 3 kids, lucky for us the 3rd came with a twin, so that's 4. That allowed me to convince the wife we needed the "man van" over the suburban, she loves it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears