Big skylights on Amazon

86scotty

Cynic
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 9.38.56 AM.png

These things. I am interested in trying on on a van top but I have found no reviews anywhere on them. They are 20x20. I'm trying to get away from the standard Maxxair/Fantastic Vent 14x14 style for a few reasons, mostly lack of light and airflow and that they aren't very reliable fans long term. Anyone try one of these?

$500 range on Amazon.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 9.38.56 AM.png

86scotty

Cynic
Thanks Idasho, that is probably a much better plan. At first glance prices seem to be about the same.

If this thread gets a little traction I'd still like to hear whether or not these Amazon ones are good or not.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
View attachment 807469

These things. I am interested in trying on on a van top but I have found no reviews anywhere on them. They are 20x20. I'm trying to get away from the standard Maxxair/Fantastic Vent 14x14 style for a few reasons, mostly lack of light and airflow and that they aren't very reliable fans long term. Anyone try one of these?

$500 range on Amazon.

View attachment 807469
Don’t…. These are made by Maygood. We dealt with them for a while. 40% of the hatches we received were faulty. I got a stack of them if anyone needs parts….

Studying the photo and specs of the Bomar the question which stuck in my mind was how well that would work for a roof which had, say, a 2"+ thickness. The MaxxFan seem to be constructed for thickness and you would chop the flange to fit. But how would you handle something like the Bomar design which appears to fit a much narrower thickness exterior wall?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Traditional marine hatches are flange mounted. They do not use trim rings. So they work with essentially any roof/wall thickness, but do require the penetration to be “finished” due to the lack of trim ring.

86scotty

Cynic
Don’t…. These are made by Maygood. We dealt with them for a while. 40% of the hatches we received were faulty. I got a stack of them if anyone needs parts….

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks very much Victorian!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks very much Victorian!
You are welcome. There are other similar skylights that come from China that look great at first glance.... Just received a test order of 20 units and AGAIN the quality is not what was promised. The best ones right now with a proper support behind it comes from Tern Overland. Pricey but worth it!

86scotty

Cynic
You are welcome. There are other similar skylights that come from China that look great at first glance.... Just received a test order of 20 units and AGAIN the quality is not what was promised. The best ones right now with a proper support behind it comes from Tern Overland. Pricey but worth it!

Spot on about Tern. I know and love the quality but the last sentence is what I'm trying to work around. I know you get what you pay for but still, I'm human.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If Tern currently offers an insulated/dual pane option, Id say it would be worth considering. The only downside with our marine hatch is that it is not insulated.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Eric, somewhere here or on SMB forum I saw a van with a Webasto panoramic roof. Might have been an older model than the ones you see at the link, but it was super nice. Came with a retractable blackout shade and retractable screen and was easily big enough to crawl through.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior