Biggest tires on e350 with fender/bumper trimming?

Thanks for the clarification and taking time to post the pic. I wasnt complaining, I was just confused as to why it seemed like I was getting conflicting answers to the same question. Ill admit.... Im brand spanking new to the van scene....learning as I move ahead with my van conversion. Ive been wrenching on vehicles since I was old enough to drive but also will admit I have little experience with suspension related modifications. I wasnt teying to call anyone out on giving the wrong info, just trying to make sure I know what I need to know before choosing tires.
I originally planned on going the 5" lift route but would have to wait untill tax time to do this and even then....I still really cant afford to drop several grand on a lift and then turn around and need new tires.
Being a welder/fabricator I figured I could save some money by trimming...even if it was somewhat extreme but if im still going to run into issues then maybe ill hold off for a while. The 2" leveling kit seems like an option but read it throws camber off.

I appreciate the input from everybody!

everything you do with regard to the I beam suspension throws camber off. thats what they make camber shims etc for.

i did a home brew leveling kit on mine, a set of moog springs, some bilstein shocks, and an alignment, raised the front of me E150 1.75" allowed 265/70-16 tires to clear without any issue, mind you mine is a 150, so its lower still.

i was fighting a steering wheel shimmy i didnt like, not sure what the problem was, so i hooked up with jeremy at weldtec and went the 4" full suspension system, MUCH improved ride over stock, and no steering wheel shimmy.

im not sure what the shimmy was, jeremy experienced it, but couldn't give me any feedback as to why. could it be his modified radius arms with more caster? could it be i had a crappy alignment before? it could still be there, but masked by his steering dampener kit? i dunno.

if you're looking for biggest (tallest) then a 235/85-16 will go on with stock wheels, and a leveling kit. with the 4" kit, my next tire set will be 255/85-16 which is a bit over 33" and while it may rub, ill have have to wait and see. cuz i JUST put these 265/70-16's on like 1500 miles ago.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Being a welder/fabricator I figured I could save some money by trimming...The 2" leveling kit seems like an option but read it throws camber off.
I appreciate the input from everybody!

With the correct spring, you can get ~2 inches of suspension lift - we do this without issue!

You can correct the Camber with Alignment Sleeves - we do this without issue!

You can correct Caster if you want to, because you are a "welder/fabricator" and it is easy to do - we do this without issue!

You can fit a 285/75R16 on stock wheels and "clear" with minor bumper trimming and lower fender trimming only - we do this without issue!

Just do it!

deezdrama

Adventurer
I would like to get the action van kit but on a tight budget.
With the stock sized 245/75 16s on my van I have about 6" between tire and fender up front and 9" in the rear. (Only have front seats in there right now, so by the time i get floor laid,walls,bed,cabinets,etc im sure it will drop some.

Anyway... im going to go with the maxx-lift 2" leveling in front and 2" back blocks.
Do you think I will need camber sleeves or will it be ok with just 2"?

Still debating between 33s or doing some cutting and trying 35s.

Will I need spacers in the rear?
Thanks

I would like to get the action van kit but on a tight budget.
With the stock sized 245/75 16s on my van I have about 6" between tire and fender up front and 9" in the rear. (Only have front seats in there right now, so by the time i get floor laid,walls,bed,cabinets,etc im sure it will drop some.

Anyway... im going to go with the maxx-lift 2" leveling in front and 2" back blocks.
Do you think I will need camber sleeves or will it be ok with just 2"?

Still debating between 33s or doing some cutting and trying 35s.

Will I need spacers in the rear?
Thanks

Anything you do in the front will require camber adjustment.

deezdrama

Adventurer
Ive never messed with camber adjustments is there a specific part no. I should grab a set of to have on hand and have an alignment shop install them after i install the pucks?

Grngiant

Adventurer
2° caster bushings sholud get it back in spec. Very easy to change. Loosen pinch bolt on upper ball joint, then pry out. If they are rusted, soak them with some penetrating oil, and try to turn them with an adjustable wrench to free them up.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
With the correct spring, you can get ~2 inches of suspension lift - we do this without issue!

You can correct the Camber with Alignment Sleeves - we do this without issue!

You can correct Caster if you want to, because you are a "welder/fabricator" and it is easy to do - we do this without issue!

You can fit a 285/75R16 on stock wheels and "clear" with minor bumper trimming and lower fender trimming only - we do this without issue!

Just do it!

Are these springs we can order from your shop? Or another supplier?

I'm aware Moog 880 springs will lift E250s, however, is there a spring you sell/recommend that'll lift an E350 Ambulance with a 7.3 PSD (2700 lbs+) 2" over stock? Without ruining ride quality?

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
One spring does not fit all.

Of course we can come up with the correct springs and shocks.

Lifting vans and saving lives - that is what we do.

deezdrama

Adventurer
Well. I seen a nice set of goodyear 275/75 16s on craigslist for $100. I go check them out after work and they are really 265s but figure "hey they will fit without cutting and hold me over for now untill I get a proper lift" so I buy them and when I get home I notice they are rated C. Ugghhh.... guess im a dummy, i thought all truck tires were at least D rated.
So whats the final word on running these? Absolutely unsafe? What if I keep the back bare? Its gutted right now.
Thanks

Last edited:

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Read the fine print... what is the weight rating at max pressure?

Down in Baja, where I live, locals are never held back by a little thing like that.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Final word... depends on rating. When I bought my Ambulance it was running P rated tires on the rear... :eek: I ran them for almost a year before I clued in and thought about what it meant if one dually went flat.

I'd run them if my rig was well within the weight ratings... if it weighs 8500 lbs, forget it.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Load reduction on P metric tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=70

If you know your rigs weight, and its under the tires limits, your okay generally. On a P tires I suggest using the 9% derating factor in addition. The issue with duallies is that you also need to make sure the tires won't rub on each other when loaded. Most LT tires have a lower load rating when used in a dual configuration.

kcernest

Observer
thanks guys! I think Ill look for a used set of 285/75 16s to try out.

I have 285/75 16 Firestone Destination A/T's on my '94 E350 Quigley. At near full lockout the tires rub the radius arm(think that's what it's called) significantly. Will go thinner next time. Regretfully only have 8k miles on these and aroung $1k wrapped up in them so I guess I'll stick it out. Lesson learned. Rocking an ex-ambulance so E-rated is necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78