Bike Advise Needec

RusherRacing

Adventurer
I went into a couple different bike shops over the weekend and now I am more confused than before...

I am looking for a comfortable bike, to ride around the bike paths, some dirt paths and down my gravel road. Honestly it won't be riden much, more than likely when camping back and forth to the bathrooms, at the race track, to and from paddock to pits etc..

That said it doesn't need to be the hotest bike on the market, or really anything fancy at all. Hardtail is prefered to keep it simplier.
I kind of like the idea of the 29ER's but $$ for what a larger set of wheels? Smoother over rocks etc because of the larger diameter wheels.

I want a cheap bike that will hold up and last for years. I hate having to replace stuff because something stupid broke on it. So something that I can find replacement parts regardless if the local bike shop remains in buisness would be good. I am 6'3" 310lbs. I found the 21" frames to be the most comfortable while test riding.

There was two at the local store that I am considering but they can order just about anything.

Fuji 29ER(not sure of the specific model), disc brakes. Retail was ~$750 but this one was returned now asking $500 (looks like new) - Didn't have the RockShox front forks, but they did lock out.

Gary Fisher Wahoo $500 - really liked how this one road.

I would really like to find something in the $350 range but I am striking out locally. Anyone have any advise?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
You won't find an entry level 29er mountain bike for under $500. Just five years ago, you couldn't find one for under a grand. The starting point for a decent 29er mountain bike is between $500-650. Anything you find below that will be junko. Keep in mind, these are retail prices and exclude sale prices or used bikes.

It's pretty tough to find a good bike for $350 these days. I think for what you're describing, maybe one of the newer bikes designed for everything NON-singletrack would be a good idea. I like the Giant Roam series:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/roam.2/7507/44081/

That would be perfect for all those fun transportational type rides you mention. Just a thought.

4xdog

Explorer
A "starter" bike probably won't be one you keep for years. Maybe you mean an "entry" level bike?

At the lower end -- around $350 -- you'll be able to get a perfectly decent bike from any one of a number of makers. There really isn't a whole lot of difference between any of them. Choose the type of bike you like. If you don't know how to fit yourself to a bike or don't do your own maintenance, consider buying from a bike shop. Try not to spend any less, 'cause the compromises in quality will make the experience of owning it much more frustrating.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
At the lower end -- around $350 -- you'll be able to get a perfectly decent bike from any one of a number of makers.
That's not the "lower" end. That's really the bottom. That's a Giant Revel 2, Specialized Hardrock ($385ish), or maybe a Trek 4300 at a hair over $400.

If you can increase your range a tad more you'll have several more options to pick from.

fisher205

Explorer
Redline is making some inexpensive single speed 29ers that I've been impressed with. They're worth checking out.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Redline is making some inexpensive single speed 29ers that I've been impressed with. They're worth checking out.
That's a great point, Redline doesn't make flashy bikes but they do the job and go the distance. At year 12 on my Redline Cyclocross. It's got rattles and has been relegated to commuter duty, so mag chloride and pot holes are taking their toll. I expect to hear the final crack any day. But it's been a trooper, to say the least.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
For someone your size stay away from anything that has a freewheel(except for a singlespeed) on it. Get a cassette rear wheel or else broken/bent axles are in your near future. This will eliminate all bikes under $400, and some that creep into the fours(Fisher Tarpon). I sell quite a few of the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29. The prices recently jumped on those from $650'ish to $700'ish.

It's a solid bike for the dough. Eventually you could swap the fork, and I'm not a huge fan of Avid BB5 brakes(I do like the BB7's alot though).

If that's too much scratch the Specialized Hardrock at $420 has cassette rear wheel and double wall rims. Same with the Specialized Hardrock disc, $499. I wouldn't expect this bike to survive many real mtb rides, but for around town not bad.

-Chris

RusherRacing

Adventurer
wow thanks for all the information! Now how can I tell if it has a freewheel? Just ask?
I like the looks of the Redline and the fact that they don't have a suspension fork as I am affraid I will just blowout or make riding more difficult for whatever is in my price range.

Looks like I need to change my budget from $500-$750 :( well that delays the purchase longer as I rarely have that extra after the bills are paid to splurg.

jrose609

Explorer
I don't know much about Yankton, SD, but here in Boise a lot of the local bike stores sometimes carry used bikes. Some of them take trade-ins and then fix them up. You could get a good bike for a little less money. Just a suggestion.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
They typically have a few used huffy's but thats about it.

I have been looking for a nice used one for over a year now with no luck. Might have to look more when I go to Omaha or Minneapolis next time.

maximumrob

Adventurer
Aside from the budget limitations on the OP's question, I'm curious if he needs to pursue certain features on the bike given the size of the man pedaling. Does a 350-lb man need to use touring wheels for heavier loads (more spokes) or stay away from carbon frames and what not?

The "fully-loaded" crowd seems to go for lots of spokes and steel frames, presumably for load handling. Right?

dstuder

Observer
I would also stay away from a steel frame. At your weight, you'll get a lot of unwanted flex in the bottom bracket area.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
To me honestly, it sounds like you don't need anything fancy. If you are just going to ride it down canals and around campgrounds there is no reason to spend that much money on a 29er ss mtb. If you aren't interested in just picking something up on craigslist used then don't get caught up in the fancy names etc.

Someone on this forum just picked up one of these and seems to like it: http://www.rei.com/product/813909/diamondback-response-trail-mountain-bike-special-buy

The REI Novara brand seems to get better every year: http://www.rei.com/product/788084/novara-portal-bike-2011

Good deal on a Muirwoods: http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-MB0MW29.html

Also take a look at the Scott brand, they have a lot of nice hybrid bikes at a decent pricepoint and it can be easier to find discounts on them. I've been riding one as my commuter/beater for 2 years now and its been great...cost me $400.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears