Bike Surf Trip

surftrip

Hey expedition bikers. My names Eric im 19 years old and I want to do a bike surf trip down the cali coast. I am currently living in Santa Cruz and I want to ride down the coast and surf along the way.

Has anyone on here done similar rides? It appeals to me because it seems like it would be a lot cheaper than paying for gas and would be beautiful.

For my setup I was thinking of getting an old kiddie car like my dad used to take me in when I was a kid and strip it, put a small kit together and strap a board ontop.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I dunno how much money you are looking to spend, but I highly recommend picking up a new or used Xtracycle Freeradical kit and converting an old bike. It will easily carry your board and all your camping gear. The resale value on the kits are good as well so if you decide when you come back you don't want it anymore you can throw it up on craigslist or ebay.

http://www.xtracycle.com/

4773265566_14e0c555f8_b.jpg

You can also follow the PCH route, as it is an established route by the Adventure Cycling Association . Thats not to say it's car-free, but its a great resource for planning your trip. There are some amazing bike-up campsites along the route, especially in Big Sur. We just drove this route in August and while there was a lot of traffic there were a TON of people on bicycles so you won't be the only one out there. Check out Sunset State Beach just south of SC....decent campground, and a pretty much abandoned beach even in the middle of summer. We spent an hour watching a guy surf with dolphins.

This guy has done a lot of bike-camping along the PCH, most on a Surly Big Dummy (with xtracycle). He lives in Monterrey I think, so he might be a good person to contact as well: http://www.asanacycles.com/Asana_Cycles/Photos.html

Good luck with your adventure! Share pics when you go!

Flagster

Expedition Leader
x2 on xtracycle...I used to have one in Seattle when I was able to use a bike for many more things before moving back to the land of wide open spaces...
Laundry, dimensional lumber, groceries, beer, passed out friends, small animals...they can carry it all with ease.
However, I have seen some nice trailer setups also with boards that allow you to ride a less dedicated cargo bike...ie touring bike...which would be a little easier for rides away from camp...
Sounds like a great trip...i'm jealous...:snorkel:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Although a very need idea and certainly fun, I would not do it....

Here is why:
First off, I have done many cycling trips (one down the west coast) and therefore please allow me in talking you out of it.
You will encounter strong winds! Coming from all directions, off shore, in land, from passing RV's / trucks.... I got pushed around a lot with normal panniers... Strapping a board on your bike as shown in the above picture is insane and maybe even suicidal!

Please re-think your idea....

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Although a very need idea and certainly fun, I would not do it....

Here is why:
First off, I have done many cycling trips (one down the west coast) and therefore please allow me in talking you out of it.
You will encounter strong winds! Coming from all directions, off shore, in land, from passing RV's / trucks.... I got pushed around a lot with normal panniers... Strapping a board on your bike as shown in the above picture is insane and maybe even suicidal!

Please re-think your idea....

I'd also be very concerned about strapping a 9' longboard onto an xtracycle and heading down hwy 1. Way too narrow for the blasts of wind that will come off the trucks/rvs and push against that big sail. I've used an xtracycle to cruise around SD with a boards ranging from my longboard 9'6" down to my 6'6". The longboard can be abit sketchy, although for short trips not too bad, but I wouldn't want to head out for a longways like that! I do find the 6'6" to not be too bad though, but it's still noticeable and some of those sections of Hwy 1 have VERY TINY shoulders.

I've also thought about a trip like this, except heading south into Baja. Anyways, I was considering a trailer attached to my seatpost with the board laying "flat". That way passing vehicles and side winds wouldn't have as much of an effect on it.

Here is a photo of something similar to what I was trying to describe:
SurfboardTrailer1.jpg

Good luck and definitely do it!

-Chris

thecriscokid

Explorer
^^^ This trailer is kewl! Got me thinking about making it into a shelter. Just have some Siltarp cut to make a top and drop down sides and you could pull up, drop the skirts, stake it, throw down your pad and snooze underneath. Looks like it has a permanent board rack that could be slightly modified then you could use it with or without a board on there.

I have only ridden a bike holding a longboard and that is sketchy. As much as I would hate to drop my log, I wouldn't hesitate if I was in serious danger. Attaching to the side of the xtracycle looks sketchy. I like the concept but maybe for a little potato chip short board

Last edited:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I love how everyone is freaking out about the longboard. The kid never even mentioned it would be a longboard, and I only posted up that pic because it was one I remembered seeing with an actual surfboard on there. The guy who owns the bike/board setup takes it a short way to his local beach, not touring. I just wanted to show the fellow an extreme example of what the xtracycle could do, and that it could carry a surfboard.

Now back to your regularly scheduled jump to conclusions.......:coffee:

thecriscokid

Explorer
I love how everyone is freaking out about the longboard. The kid never even mentioned it would be a longboard, and I only posted up that pic because it was one I remembered seeing with an actual surfboard on there. The guy who owns the bike/board setup takes it a short way to his local beach, not touring. I just wanted to show the fellow an extreme example of what the xtracycle could do, and that it could carry a surfboard.

Now back to your regularly scheduled jump to conclusions.......:coffee:

How else would you be able to manual the xtracycle...
This got my hamster wheels turning today. 3 things I love the most=:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears