Bike Trailer and Baby

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't put helmets on them in the trailer. I dunno... never even thought about it. They are so low to the ground, and I figure it's like a little roll cage. As long as we're not going fast, I really don't see the risk. The serious risk to me, is getting hit by a car, and a helmet really won't help that that much.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I had a bit of a scare the first time I took the girls out in the trailer together. A kid, maybe 10 or so, tried to to pass us on the right. He got caught up between the right wheel of the trailer and an electrical box beside the sidewalk. It really jolted the trailer, scared the crap out of me:Wow1:, and sent the kid flying down the sidewalk. The girls seemed unaffected in their little cocoon, but I almost felt like packing it in right there. We weren't more than 100' from our garage!

After that, I am really careful with towing a wide load, especially since I try to stick to the sidewalks and bike paths.

Jason

P.S. - The bike kid was OK, but I think he'll be more cautious when judging passing clearances next time!

Rev

Adventurer
To the OP - your kid looks a lot stouter than I remember mine being at that age!

He was 11 lbs at birth and 10 days past the due date so he has always been physically strong for his age. He is a very active boy and if he keeps growing like this he will tower over me by the time he is 10. Maybe then he can pull me in the trailer. ;)

Rev

Adventurer
We bought one of these years go, and used it with our son starting at about 4 months old. It was all on-road, in quiet neighborhoods, so little safety concerns. Nobody could tell me his brain has suffered. He's 4.5 now, is bilingual, can count to 100 and is learning addition already (all that, and he's never been to a Montessouri school!)

We're now using one with our 6 month old daughter.

I'd never heard the shaken brain thing before, caused by trailers. Sounds rediculous. I don't know that I'd take it off pavement at less than 1 year.

Good to hear! Yes it does seem like a silly theory. Like someone else said, it has to be better than the old wagons kids used to use.

Rev

Adventurer
I have a 7 month old, and did not like the way he sat in the second hand trailer we picked up. My solution was to mount a piece of plywood to the trailer, and strap his carseat to that. It made me feel a lot better about having him in there, esp since the common recommended age is 1 year old from what I've found. I mounted a small strip of plywood vertically on the base piece, so the carseat can but up against it like it does the back of the seat. We rode a 4 mile gravel trail with no issues, except for a little trail grime getting on him. I may change out the plywood for plexiglass to save a little weight, but It seems OK for now.

interesting idea for sure.

dport

Adventurer
It makes me feel MUCH better having him in this way. Even if I hit a bit of a rough patch, he still has the support of the seat around his head.

keating

Another Chariot fan here. We have the Cougar 1
Made in Canada with a lifetime warranty. Can't beat it.

My daughter will be 3 next month. She's been in the Chariot since we bought it at about 5 months. Walking, jogging and skiing in the infant sling for the first year. Only started biking the spring after she turned one. She's got the seat support, similar to the Baby Supporter with a pillow around the back of the head, and side bolsters, so she's actually supported in an upright position. I guess it's been redesigned, as I can't find the one we have.
I wouldn't feel comfortable with her any smaller and just bundled in with blankets and straps.
It's about neck strength and support. I wouldn't take her behind a bike untill she was ready to be front facing in her carseat.

And she doesn't get in it without her helmet on. When it's converted into a trailer and attached to the bike, the Chariot is "her bike" and everybody wears a helmet on their bike. Necessary, or not, it instills good safety rules.
Though, I'd hate to collide with another cyclist or jogger, or whatever, and have the trailer roll over such that a rock or curb was able to reach her head.

She was 2 1/2 and her poppy was going to take her for a ride with dad's bike. She stood next to the Chariot with her helmet on and would not climb in until poppy put a helmet on.

cmgraves

Observer
chariot fan here as well!

We had ours walking through bumby trails at age 4 months with the baby sling. worked fantastic. then upgraded to the additonal seat support when she was ready at age 15 months?? i believe.

Currently, we use ours as a jogger off road, biking on and off road pretty much everday.

One item to mention, when our daughter was 18-19 months old, I was biking offroad with the trailer attached. The trailer wheel hit a 9+ inch rock that flipped it pretty hard and solid. My daughter was shocked up and had the, "what the hell was that look" then said "boom". My mood of oh crap what did i just do, switched to laughing in miliseconds. The trailer obtain no damage, and my duaghter did not shift at all with the 5 point harness. This reminded me why i obted for the more expensive item for safety and reliablility are incoroporated.

ijeep_2

Observer
I too love my chariot. I just took my 4 year old for a rough trail ride in it. He has been in it since he was about 2 months old. Of course we started on easy pavement with lots of blankets for support and padding but he has no fear now. He was riding with a buddy and his daughter for a while and I saw about 10 inches of air under their trailer and they later tipped onto his side in a rut. They were laughing the whole time.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Remember that the childs skeletal system is highly vulnerable at this early age. Though he is strong, his neck is still floppy, and holding it up is a very different physical effort from resisting a bump or a jarring.
we had our little guy in a bike seat from around7-8 months, wearing a helmet, and now, at 2, he goes on trails with me. But please remember that the muscular system develops ata different rate from the skeletal system.

BTW - my dad is a pediatrician. So, real world experience as a dad to my own toddler, and knowledge from a physician dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior