Bike Trip Planning

Applejack

Explorer
I am planning a 230+ mile trip in Sept. I have never done this or any other kind of road biking for that matter, only mountain biking and really only descents at that. I am having the guys at Unreal Cycles build me up something the fit the bill. I am budgeting 5 days maybe 6 for this trip. And would like anyone one who has done these sorts of things to chime in with advice.

Also I've been wondering if I should pull a little trailer or not. I really hate that idea as it is going to be hell enough hauling my own butt up loooong climbs.

bucketosudz

Explorer
There are more experienced folks on board than I but I would suggest gathering information from several sources, then take from them what may work for you. Bikepacking.net offers some good insight as does MTBR's "Bikepacking" forum. Frame packs are handy but you might have a little bit of challenge getting a full setup this time of the year unless you know a maker. Revelate has great bags but you may or may not be limited on fitment depending on what your building for a bike and no longer does custom work. Porcelain Rocket does some custom work but I am guessing he's really busy as well. Both the aforementioned forums will have some additional ideas.

Extrawheel has a pretty neato trailer http://www.extrawheel.com/en/3/bicycle_trailer/ if you should decide on a trailer option. Much of it again depends on what you have to have with you and what you want, many say less is more when traveling by bike. I am currently setting up two Fatbikes for "adventure travel" so I will follow the suggestions offered. For what it's worth, I have Revelate bags and really like them myself.

Looking forward to hearing how your trip goes, I hope to do a 100 miles next week myself.

Agreed...........go to crazyguyonabike. I've done my fair share of touring and I don't see any reason that you'd need a trailer for 5 or 6 days. I always traveled with my dog so I had a dog trailer. You can easily get by with saddlebags. I averaged about (70) miles per day when I toured but I guess each person determines what works for him. Good luck. I miss it but since I found another dog (18) months ago, it's difficult for me to tour again.

Applejack

Explorer
Agreed...........go to crazyguyonabike. I've done my fair share of touring and I don't see any reason that you'd need a trailer for 5 or 6 days. I always traveled with my dog so I had a dog trailer. You can easily get by with saddlebags. I averaged about (70) miles per day when I toured but I guess each person determines what works for him. Good luck. I miss it but since I found another dog (18) months ago, it's difficult for me to tour again.

Thanks for the responses. I will check those sites out. Yesterday I borrowed my friends little trailer to see how it felt and found that I most definitely do not want to pull one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998

Members online