Bilger's Rocks, Central PA

BigAl

Expedition Leader
We checked this place out yesterday. It's called Bilger's Rocks. It's near Curwensville PA. It is basically a couple of acres of Sandstone that is maybe 80ft thick. It is a huge maze of crevices, overhangs, tunnels, and cavlets. There are many, many paths thru the rocks and many dead ends. You could easily spend an entire day exploring this place. It's very much like caving without the mud. There is a park and you can primitive camp for a fee, but the rocks are free.

Baxter had a blast, he was too fast to get many good pics, but he could climb near vertical walls with ease

Here is a link to the website.

http://www.bilgersrocks.com

climber.jpg

cameradownload8-21-2010729.jpg

cameradownload8-21-2010754.jpg

cameradownload8-21-2010745.jpg

cameradownload8-21-2010735.jpg

cameradownload8-21-2010730.jpg

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Thanks for the heads up, Al. That looks like a fine place to while a day away. Sort of reminds me of Bear Town Rocks or Minister Creek here in our neck of the woods.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
is the place safe for kids? Look for some adventures to go on with my oldest two

I would think it's fine for kids. Little kids can explore, bigger kids can climb. The stand stone is not slippery. We met a family there that was having a ball. Ages 8 thru 15.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
cameradownload8-21-2010754.jpg

Very cool! Reminds me of home (hills of TN). Thanks for sharing.

It's a shame that these neat little places have to fall victim to Vandalism!

PAToyota

Adventurer
Cool! A bit outside of my usual ramblings, but might have to make the effort to get up there to check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78