Birth of My Kimberley Karavan

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
OK, now that I have the Karavan figured out it's back to how many local folks want to come by to check it out?
Sorry that I'm as far away as I am, 'cuz I'd have loved to see the Karavan. That's a very impressive setup, and I'm pleased to hear that you think it tows OK behind your truck.

Congratulations on hitting the road in it and bringing the long process to a successful conclusion. It's a wonderful trailer.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks Mike. I am definitely very pleased with the purchase and have no regrets.

I do plan to set it up for viewing at the 2012 Overland EXPO in Flag next May so if you plan to come down for that I'll be there.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I got the chance to head out for a couple nights last weekend. I intentionally stayed in the lower elevations since I wanted to see how the A/C worked. For the locals that know the area, I just drove up into Redington pass and found spot just off the main road a few miles past the Bellota Ranch HQ turn off.

This is not a challenging road at all but it does have washboard sections, pot holes and small washed out sections that sometimes leave nice little teeth jarring trenches across the road.

I aired down the 45PSI street pressure to around 30 LBS. With the trailer's weight that gave the tires a nice side wall bulge and softer ride. I was really impressed how well it towed and handled. The suspension just sucked up all the bumps and washboard. It felt more at home on the back dirt roads than it does on the pavement. :sombrero:

The mornings were nice but by lunch time it was in the mid 90s as expected so I fired up the generators. Yes sadly the A/C draws too much current for one Honda eui2000 so you have to pair it with a companion generator to stay within the 3500W healthy running limit. I would only do this if camped way off by myself or in a cluster of other fools who were also running generators. Not my idea of perfect camping but it's nice to know it all works well when forced into the heat for some other objective.

Roxy and I basically enjoyed the mornings outside and spent the afternoon eating lunch, reading and napping in the cool comfort of the A/C. Then by late afternoon it cooled down enough to get back outside and enjoy the storm build ups.

By the way I knew thunderstorms were coming so I spent some extra time seriously staking down the awning and Karavan. It worked perfectly and was rock solid even in 40-50 mph gusting winds.

Here are a few shots of our campsite and the surrounding views.

I wanted a more protected campsite and found this one down in a bowl surrounded by trees.
Redington-Pass-0911-3-L.jpg

Then staked the bajeebaz out of the Karavan so it would stay put.
Redington-Pass-0911-1-L.jpg

Here it comes. :Wow1:
Redington-Pass-0911-1-2-L.jpg

Redington-Pass-0911-8-L.jpg

MG2366-Edit-L.jpg

Headed home all safe and dry. :wings:
Redington-Pass-0911-21-L.jpg

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
OK, now that I have the Karavan figured out it's back to how many local folks want to come by to check it out?

Post up if you your interested and depending on if it's 2 or a dozen we can do a couple of different things. If it's just a random few then just PM me and we can find a good time for you to swing by if you want. If a bunch of people want to check it out then it might be better to set up a morning when it cools off a bit and we'll set out some bagels and coffee for a group get together.

So either post up or PM me and we'll see what the interest is.

I would like to see your trailer in person. It would be like a cheap trip to Australia.:sombrero: Being from Scottsdale I would have no problem seeing it in its element on the trail.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I would like to see your trailer in person. It would be like a cheap trip to Australia.:sombrero: Being from Scottsdale I would have no problem seeing it in its element on the trail.

Easy deal. I'll let you know about my next couple local trips as I plan them and your welcome to come join me for any or all of it. :elkgrin:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Before just my wife and I take a trip to Utah I wanted to figure out my limits with a safety net of friends. We went up the Road to Rice Peak which is your typical old mining road with loose shale and steep slopes climbing up the side of the mountain. I wanted to see if my 4Runner could pull the Karavan up something like that without assistance but I didn't want to learn that off on my own. :sombrero:

I didn't get any good pics of the steep sections since I was a tad busy driving but the bottom line is I was able to make it without assistance and it just turned into a fun camping trip with friends.

I'm ready for Utah now. :wings:

Chain-Tank-3-L.jpg

Chain-Tank-6-L.jpg

Chain-Tank-10-L.jpg

Chain-Tank-1-2-L.jpg

Chain-Tank-12-L.jpg

Chain-Tank-14-L.jpg

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks Mike. The guys that drove behind me commented on how well the suspension handled the road conditions. It was smooth as silk on the open washboard sections and flexed and absorbed the rocks and bumps nicely on the more rugged sections.

Because of the high end electronic over hydraulic disk brake system on the Karavan my old brake controller was incompatible. I upgraded to a new Prodigy P2 brake controller that is designed for electronic over hydraulic systems. What a difference. :wings: Once adjusted for the road conditions it was a dream to use and perfectly managed the steep uphill and downhill loose conditions.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Love the pics "in the wild"....

I'm guessing that picture of you with your ams in the air is the "money shot"....and hopefully for the KK calender next month...:ylsmoke:

"and here we have Brad, Mr. December,of Arizona, LTD'n (livin' the dream) it, in front of his beautiful new KK..."

:beer: (it may appear to be beer...but it's a mug of MM)

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Love the pics "in the wild"....

I'm guessing that picture of you with your ams in the air is the "money shot"....and hopefully for the KK calender next month...:ylsmoke:

"and here we have Brad, Mr. December,of Arizona, LTD'n (livin' the dream) it, in front of his beautiful new KK..."

:beer: (it may appear to be beer...but it's a mug of MM)

LOL, he does look a lot like me but that's my friend Alvin with his arms up. Just posing for the photo op. :sombrero:

Of course we did have MM on hand. For those that don't understand, size does matter.

Chain-Tank-20-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger