Bitten By the Ambo Bug!!!!

blkhalo996

blkhalo996
Hello, fellow Expo and Ambo friends!!!

I've been a lurker on here for some years now, and I'd like to start off by saying it has been very inspirational from all the great builds I've been reading and following on here!!!! Let's just say the ambo bug has bitten the s#!t out of me for some time now!!!! So much, that last weekend I went on a little road trip and came home with an '03 7.3l, Wheeled Coach, Type III ambulance.

I'm really looking forward to starting this build and can't wait to see what my final build will transform into. However, on saying that, I'm pretty sure it will never stop changing,,,, only transform more as time goes on and resources allow. My build might not end up as superb as many of the builds by you guys, and it might not go as fast either,,,, juggling between family, work, and life in general. However, I think we all fall in that category!!! 

A little history on my ambulance,,,,, originally started off as most, it was used by an ambulance service company. Which when taken out of service, it was purchased by one of the paramedics who rode the van while it was with the ambulance service company. His intentions were to start his own ambulance service, though didn't go as he had hoped too and decided he would sell. The ambulance itself has 280k miles, however, previous owner swapped out the motor with one that had 103k on it. He had all the documents where it was done through Ford for the motor swap. He kept it well maintained, since he had planned to keep using it as an ambulance service vehicle. He gave me a huge folder with maintanence records and manuals. Plus, it was great to have him be walk me through all the bells and whistles, what all the switches would operate, and good to hear it's history from a person who had been around the ambulance it's service life.

My co-pilot looking on as we stopped for fuel. And I thought the fuel tank on my van (31-32 gal.) was big!!!! Not to this thing,,,, with 1/4 tank left, still squeezed 40 gal. in there!!!

About two hours from the house I did have a blowout on the passenger, inside dually tire,,, which was the only real hiccup getting home. Tires had about 90% tread,,,, so maybe I ran over something on the way. Not sure. Anyhow, limped it to the house the rest of the way. Now it's waiting on my return (work, work, work) so I can start making changes.

First plans will be the legal stuff (for the state of Louisiana),,,, as in what I can legally have on the exterior. Spoke with my sister (she's a cop), she pretty much said I can't have any blue or red lighting (break lights I can obviously keep). Still in the planning, so not sure if I want to keep the light bar, remove it, or replace it with an LED light bar. Who knows yet. Saw in one build on here where spray tint was used,,, an option if i want to keep it, if just dark tint will be enough.

Plan is also to get the title switched to a RV/motor home status,,,, for cheaper insurance. I called the DMV office earlier (talk about a long wait time on the phone) and they emailed me some information on the state requirements were. Can they make it sound any more confusing????? LOL

Looking forward to start and getting input from all as the build starts and goes on. Can't lie,,, I'm still reading other builds on here, getting awesome ideas!!!!!!!

tmo2460

Observer
Awesome. Can't wait to see where you end up with it. Lets see some interior shots when you get a chance!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Good news, your exposure has been limited. There still may be time to suck out the venom. Rush to your nearest ER before all hope is lost.

Congratulations on the purchase of a good looking rig. I'm sure you've found a keeper as the attendant who rode the rig wouldn't have bought it if he thought it wasn't. Most of us just have to take a gamble and try our luck. Mine came with no service records, no warranty, no history, and no brakes... I hope to see more of your rig.

You'll learn to watch those inner duallies. I've had 4 'flats' in 3 years... 3 were inner duallies. Getting to the point, if you run a wheel too soft, it can overheat and blow... you may not have hit anything at all. Mine had been in storage for a long while before I bought her. Suffice it to say I had a 200 mile trip on a mountain highway and couldn't properly inflate any of the duallies. The Gas station hose wouldn't reach the valves properly... the missus and I managed to get enough air in the tires to make the trip. BTW, if any of you are riding on P rated tires like I was on the way home, they'll likely void your insurance in the event you crash your Ambo. :eek:

Moral: Run decent Load Range E or better, and drive safe.

blkhalo996

blkhalo996
Nice rig, Dude.

Welcome aboard! :088:

Thanks!!!!

Good news, your exposure has been limited. There still may be time to suck out the venom. Rush to your nearest ER before all hope is lost.

Congratulations on the purchase of a good looking rig. I'm sure you've found a keeper as the attendant who rode the rig wouldn't have bought it if he thought it wasn't. Most of us just have to take a gamble and try our luck. Mine came with no service records, no warranty, no history, and no brakes... I hope to see more of your rig.

You'll learn to watch those inner duallies. I've had 4 'flats' in 3 years... 3 were inner duallies. Getting to the point, if you run a wheel too soft, it can overheat and blow... you may not have hit anything at all. Mine had been in storage for a long while before I bought her. Suffice it to say I had a 200 mile trip on a mountain highway and couldn't properly inflate any of the duallies. The Gas station hose wouldn't reach the valves properly... the missus and I managed to get enough air in the tires to make the trip. BTW, if any of you are riding on P rated tires like I was on the way home, they'll likely void your insurance in the event you crash your Ambo. :eek:

Moral: Run decent Load Range E or better, and drive safe.

Yeah,,,, think I'm going to get deep into this build!!!! And really looking forward to the outcome!!!!

Thank you, sir, for the sound advice!

ambocamper99

So, what's the plan?

We've never quite finished our interior but plan to have it completed in the next few weeks. It's a 99 wheeled coach. Appears nearly identical to yours. If we had any one fundamental to do differently I think, THINK, we'd do an even more complete gut. But we have pretty decent system integration capability. One thing we discovered was that gutting all the interior and building our RV components from aluminum frame/tube saved a huge amount of weight. I'll try to make time to post a build thread soon, in hopes it'll be useful to you. I have good weights pre-ujoint-kit and will have post-installAmbo lift 2.jpg weight next week I think. We did some stuff that might well be worth copying. I mentioned in Chris' thread that there are still some of these hatches available from a marine surplus: http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/ About $300 ea. I think they have about 8 left. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399378&d=1494207256&thumb=1 I downloaded the CAD file and imported to my model, but a 2d drawing is all you need to lay out the mount. http://www.wmjmarine.com/399500303.html Very beefy and maintainable. Easy to mount. Top hinge so good vent in rain. That's what we were after. They're made to be stood on when mounted on a deck. I don't think a Seitz would tolerate that. I'm thinking of making slide-on ABS covers to guard against tree limbs in rough country.

Wheeled Coach quality seems very good to me.

Good luck. Mssg with any questions.

patoz

Expedition Leader
blkhalo996, welcome to the Ambo/Campers Club! You have a very nice platform to start with, so it will be interesting to see where the build goes!

J., I believe he has the taller module with 72" headroom inside, whereas your's looks like it is the 68" headroom version. If you look at the amount of space just above the side door, and the right front corner just above the compartment door, it's pretty obvious.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
So, what's the plan?

We've never quite finished our interior but plan to have it completed in the next few weeks. It's a 99 wheeled coach. Appears nearly identical to yours. If we had any one fundamental to do differently I think, THINK, we'd do an even more complete gut. But we have pretty decent system integration capability. One thing we discovered was that gutting all the interior and building our RV components from aluminum frame/tube saved a huge amount of weight. I'll try to make time to post a build thread soon, in hopes it'll be useful to you. I have good weights pre-ujoint-kit and will have post-installView attachment 400258 weight next week I think. We did some stuff that might well be worth copying. I mentioned in Chris' thread that there are still some of these hatches available from a marine surplus: http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/ About $300 ea. I think they have about 8 left. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399378&d=1494207256&thumb=1 I downloaded the CAD file and imported to my model, but a 2d drawing is all you need to lay out the mount. http://www.wmjmarine.com/399500303.html Very beefy and maintainable. Easy to mount. Top hinge so good vent in rain. That's what we were after. They're made to be stood on when mounted on a deck. I don't think a Seitz would tolerate that. I'm thinking of making slide-on ABS covers to guard against tree limbs in rough country.

I know the OP has newer mirrors... but I just installed some 7.5" offset mount Alliance mirrors on my mirrors like yours.

Alliance Mirror Back.jpgAlliance Mirror Front.jpg

You'll not realize how big your blind spot till it shrinks. In terms of durability, I've been trying to break my smaller ones on my 4x4 for about 20 years so I can replace the mirror with flat glass... they've been bounced off many trees, and keep coming back for more :D

They are made in the USA, and were <$20 CAD and even less in the USA.

blkhalo996

blkhalo996
So, what's the plan?

We've never quite finished our interior but plan to have it completed in the next few weeks. It's a 99 wheeled coach. Appears nearly identical to yours. If we had any one fundamental to do differently I think, THINK, we'd do an even more complete gut. But we have pretty decent system integration capability. One thing we discovered was that gutting all the interior and building our RV components from aluminum frame/tube saved a huge amount of weight. I'll try to make time to post a build thread soon, in hopes it'll be useful to you. I have good weights pre-ujoint-kit and will have post-installView attachment 400258 weight next week I think. We did some stuff that might well be worth copying. I mentioned in Chris' thread that there are still some of these hatches available from a marine surplus: http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/ About $300 ea. I think they have about 8 left. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399378&d=1494207256&thumb=1 I downloaded the CAD file and imported to my model, but a 2d drawing is all you need to lay out the mount. http://www.wmjmarine.com/399500303.html Very beefy and maintainable. Easy to mount. Top hinge so good vent in rain. That's what we were after. They're made to be stood on when mounted on a deck. I don't think a Seitz would tolerate that. I'm thinking of making slide-on ABS covers to guard against tree limbs in rough country.

Thanks for the direction in a place to pick up hatch windows. However, at this stage unsure if additional windows will be part of this build.

As for the plan in general:
1. Exterior lighting changes, for legal purposes
2. At first, minimal internal build (over time, pretty sure I'll go more into a full gutting of box, going minimal for now, figured I'll learn more of the likes and dislikes for the full box gut later)
-Bed
-sink w/fresh water tank
-refrigerator
-cooking applications
-outside shower
3. Any body modification or additions
-Bob cut the tail end (still debating on this, with the rear storage areas not sure if I want to lose space or not)
-awnings, ladder, inverter generator
4. Paint (bed liner, not sure yet on which brand to go with if I go this path), wrap, or just graphics
5. 4x4 conversion (4" or 6"), wheels/tires

That's all I can think of right now,,, this is just a rough plan.

Paton, correct, 72" head room. I'm 5'10" so it's perfect! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman