Black Rifles are Evil and Thuggish

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
NICE. I like gray, I think my next rifle will have gray/black/white. FDE is soo common these days.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Private possession of fully automatic weapons is prohibited in Switzerland. Semi-automatic rifles and handguns by private citizens can only be possessed under license.

Actually, you don't need to buy one when males over 20 can expect to be trained in the militia and issued a full auto weapon that they will have for about 10 years. That is why there are 420,000 guns outside of the direct physical control of the Swiss military unlike the US where a soldier does not take his full auto weapon home. Since full auto weapons are more dangerous it is Switzerland that is more unsafe than the U.S.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

"In October 2007, the Swiss Federal Council decided that the distribution of ammunition to soldiers shall stop and that all previously issued ammo shall be returned. By March 2011, more than 99% of the ammo has been received. Only special rapid deployment units and the military police still have ammunition stored at home today"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Explorer
Hi

"In October 2007, the Swiss Federal Council decided that the distribution of ammunition to soldiers shall stop and that all previously issued ammo shall be returned. By March 2011, more than 99% of the ammo has been received. Only special rapid deployment units and the military police still have ammunition stored at home today"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

I've been researching this topic recently to see if Switzerland would be safe place to travel. What you quote from Wiki is misleading, the government stopped giving people ammunition to store at home, but you can still buy ammunition and have ammunition in your home.

Courtesy of the Wiki:

Most types of ammunition are available for commercial sale, including full metal jacket bullet calibres for military-issue weapons; hollow point rounds are only permitted for hunters. Ammunition sales are registered only at the point of sale by recording the buyer's name in a bound book.[citation need

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I've been researching this topic recently to see if Switzerland would be safe place to travel. What you quote from Wiki is misleading, the government stopped giving people ammunition to store at home, but you can still buy ammunition and have ammunition in your home.

Courtesy of the Wiki:

Most types of ammunition are available for commercial sale, including full metal jacket bullet calibres for military-issue weapons; hollow point rounds are only permitted for hunters. Ammunition sales are registered only at the point of sale by recording the buyer's name in a bound book.[citation need

What he said. That is why I did not bother to mention that the Swiss Gov't reposessed the ammo. Who cares when you have a full-auto weapon at your disposal? :ar15:

gm13

Adventurer
... males over 20 can expect to be trained in the militia and issued a full auto weapon that they will have for about 10 years. That is why there are 420,000 guns outside of the direct physical control of the Swiss military unlike the US where a soldier does not take his full auto weapon home. Since full auto weapons are more dangerous it is Switzerland that is more unsafe than the U.S.

I always thought that method was such a practical solution, a defensive army of the citizenry. Total Resistance, A Swiss Army guide by Major H Von Dach is an un-hyped, pragmatic guide devoid of wacko gun nut-isms that offers the populace some strategy for defending the Swiss homeland in case of invasion. I'm no military strategist, so can't say anything about its efficacy but it's an interesting read.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I always thought that method was such a practical solution, a defensive army of the citizenry. Total Resistance, A Swiss Army guide by Major H Von Dach is an un-hyped, pragmatic guide devoid of wacko gun nut-isms that offers the populace some strategy for defending the Swiss homeland in case of invasion. I'm no military strategist, so can't say anything about its efficacy but it's an interesting read.

Agreed in principle. There originally was a healthy distrust of a standing army, which is one reason why we have references to a militia. Not sure how practical it would be in this day and age.

Small clarification about the Swiss: Once their service is ended (they typically serve in a reserve capacity for 10 years) they have the option to keep their rifles. If they choose to do so they are converted to semi-automatic at that time.

Last edited:

gm13

Adventurer
... Not sure how practical it would be in this day and age.

My guess would be if we only had defensive armies we'd have much less need for them:ylsmoke:. But that has little to do with the thuggishness of black rifles...

gm13

Adventurer
NICE. I like gray, I think my next rifle will have gray/black/white. FDE is soo common these days.

I'm out of the loop, didn't know fde(had to google it) was cliche already. Do like those Sig Sauer Scorpions in fde, guess I'm a khaki kind of guy.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester

Courtesy of the Wiki:

Thank you for that.

I didn't post it to be misleading, I posted it to support what I believed the situation was in Switzerland. The link also says "ammunition sold at ranges must be used there", so I'm still not entirely clear, but its possibly not just a case of no ammo at home as I had thought.

Anyway, I prefer black.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Thank you for that.

I didn't post it to be misleading, I posted it to support what I believed the situation was in Switzerland. The link also says "ammunition sold at ranges must be used there", so I'm still not entirely clear, but its possibly not just a case of no ammo at home as I had thought.

It helps to read the whole thing. Ammo sold at ranges is supposed to be shot at ranges, true, but ammo is sold at other venues and they could take that ammo home.

"Most types of ammunition are available for commercial sale, including full metal jacket bullet calibres for military-issue weapons; hollow point rounds are only permitted for hunters. Ammunition sales are registered only at the point of sale by recording the buyer's name in a bound book"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger