Black Rock Desert

PHXtaco

Adventurer
This was a scouting trip to determine the best route for getting to an area where a USN plane had crashed in 1955, and to also see the Black Rock Desert.

While I was hoping to hike and look for the crash site, I knew realistically it was going to be just a scouting trip. There were three likely ways into the area I wanted to start the hike from. The most direct route involved a significant amount 2 track roads. The next option was not as direct, but remained in the Black Rock Desert and was good county gravel roads; the third option was mostly paved, but took a very roundabout route. Since the secondary goal was to see the Black Rock Desert, we opted for the county gravel roads.

Heading up NV 447
IMG8521-L.jpg

Looking toward Pyramid Lake.
IMG8523-L.jpg

Pyramid Lake
IMG8524-L.jpg

NV 447 disappearing into a dry lake.
IMG8527-L.jpg

Gerlach, NV on the left with a train entering town.
Betcha didn't notice the train at first!
IMG8530-L.jpg

It is a moderately long one sticking out into the playa.
IMG8532-L.jpg

Close up of the train.
IMG8533-L.jpg

Trego Hot Springs.
IMG8538-L.jpg

It was a cold day, so the water was steaming.
IMG8540-L.jpg

The water was bubbling up through the sand creating mini sand volcanoes underwater.
IMG8541-L.jpg

The black rock that Black Rock Desert is named after.
IMG8550-L.jpg

Cruising down NV 49.
IMG8553-L.jpg

IMG8554-L.jpg

IMG8555-L.jpg

Interesting rock outcrops.
IMG8558-L.jpg

Heading towards the settlement of Sulphur, NV which is really just a large open-pit mine.
IMG8560-L.jpg

Realizing we could not make our original destination in time to have enough daylight to hike, we decided to divert to Black Rock Springs and Double Hot Springs to sightsee and find a place to camp.
IMG8561-L.jpg

About to hit the playa with Black Rock in the background.
IMG8565-L.jpg

IMG8569-L.jpg

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Part 2

The Quinn River at this point ceases being a cut in the desert and flows gently out onto the playa. When there is water flowing, this stretch can be impossible to cross due to the soft gooey mud. Fortunately for us, it was dry.
IMG8571-L.jpg

This section of the road is on top of the old Applegate Trail. Along this trail a historical society has placed markers at various points of interest.
IMG8573-L.jpg

The upper portions of the playa are not as smooth as the lower end.
IMG8576-L.jpg

IMG8578-L.jpg

Made it to Black Rock, note the remains of the old covered wagon to the right of our truck.
IMG8580-L.jpg

Old and new forms of transportation across the desert.
IMG8583-L.jpg

Black Rock Hot Spring. There was even a boardwalk leading to a little dock allowing easy access to the water.
IMG8584-L.jpg

View of the dock.
IMG8585-L.jpg

I stuck my hand in and the temperature on this end was quite pleasant. However a guide book warned that the source end can be quite hot. The book told of a story of a group of pioneers who stopped at the spring after crossing the dry hot desert. Their dog, excited by the water, ran and jumped in to cool off, but was sadly boiled to death before he could get out.
IMG8591-L.jpg

The source end of the spring with Back Rock in the background. Steam is rising into the crisp, cool air.
IMG8593-L.jpg

Looking across the spring at the playa.
IMG8594-L.jpg

Looking into the source of the spring.
IMG8597-L.jpg

Close ups of the old wagon.
IMG8602-L.jpg

IMG8604-L.jpg

Apparently this is a sheep herder's wagon rather than a wagon abandoned by the early pioneers headed to California or Oregon.
IMG8608-L.jpg

The truck’s shadow on the desert floor.
IMG8611-L.jpg

2-track headed to the next spring.
IMG8612-L.jpg

Steam rising from some smaller springs along the way.
IMG8613-L.jpg

Made it to Double Hot Springs.
IMG8614-L.jpg

Despite being several hundred yards from the spring source, steam is rising from the creek.
IMG8617-L.jpg

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Part 3

More seam rises as you go further upstream.
IMG8618-L.jpg

Green plants survive the cold dry climate thanks to the warm water.
IMG8620-L.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if it is hot?
IMG8623-L.jpg

Looking into the bottomless spring.
IMG8624-L.jpg

IMG8625-L.jpg

IMG8626-L.jpg

Rasa exploring the springs.
IMG8630-L.jpg

Looking back at the springs as we go for a hike.
IMG8632-L.jpg

Back at the tub and the truck.
IMG8634-L.jpg

Adjusting the pipe to fill the tub with warm water. The tub did not warm enough to soak in that night, but by the next morning it was nice and warm despite the sub freezing temperatures outside. A perfect way to refresh oneself for the day’s adventures!
IMG8635-L.jpg

Sunset, and the temperature is dropping fast.
IMG8636-L.jpg

Time to make dinner and head to bed despite it being so early.
IMG8637-L.jpg

It dropped to at least 10°F that night (that's what the thermometer said when I got up in the middle of the night to heed the call of nature) and when we woke up, there was a layer of ice inside the tent.
IMG8638-L.jpg

Bumping the tent created mini snow storms inside! We did stay nice and warm in our new sleeping bags using a 12V electric blanket between the air mattress and the sleeping bag and a sleeping bag liner. However, because it was so cold, it made us not want to get out of the sleeping bags the next morning.
IMG8639-L.jpg

A few morning shots of camp.
IMG8641-L.jpg

IMG8642-L.jpg

The steam condensing on the grass next to the stream turned to ice.
IMG8645-L.jpg

IMG8647-L.jpg

IMG8649-L.jpg

IMG8651-L.jpg

Last edited:

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Part 4

IMG8652-L.jpg

IMG8653-L.jpg

IMG8654-L.jpg

IMG8656-L.jpg

Rasa is making (a warm :wings: ) breakfast as I explore the morning sights.
IMG8660-L.jpg

IMG8662-L.jpg

Off for another day of exploring.
IMG8664-L.jpg

IMG8666-L.jpg

Some color in the hills.
IMG8669-L.jpg

IMG8670-L.jpg

up and out of a wash...
IMG8671-L.jpg

We're heading for that notch on the right.
IMG8673-L.jpg

IMG8674-L.jpg

Heading into a canyon that will take us over a small pass to the other side of the range. It is a bit of a gamble going this route. While it's the most direct route, depending on which map you look at, there may or may not be roads that go through. The most current BLM map had the road going from a thick green dashed line to thin green dashed dots that kind of goes all the way through, but the map legend does not say what that marking means.
IMG8675-L.jpg

On top of the pass looking into the next valley.
IMG8676-L.jpg

Looking back at where we came from.
IMG8677-L.jpg

And looking into the mini-canyon we came up.
IMG8680-L.jpg

IMG8681-L.jpg

Pinto Mountain off in the distance. We are headed to it via a circuitous route to the left (hopefully).
IMG8682-L.jpg

Last edited:

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Part 5

IMG8685-L.jpg

Interesting rock outcropping.
IMG8686-L.jpg

We just passed an old sign that said the road dead ends 9 miles ahead. Well, we've come this far, we might as well see what is at the end and take a look around this desolate valley.
IMG8691-L.jpg

Looking around the valley…
IMG8691a-L.jpg

IMG8692-L.jpg

IMG8693-L.jpg

IMG8695-L.jpg

Wild horses!
IMG8697-L.jpg

IMG8698-L.jpg

IMG8699-L.jpg

IMG8700-L.jpg

IMG8702-L.jpg

IMG8703-L.jpg

We passed another warm spring…
IMG8706-L.jpg

…which had an old, unused rock corral next to it.
IMG8707-L.jpg

IMG8708-L.jpg

IMG8709-L.jpg

Off in the distance, a remote ranch.
IMG8713-L.jpg

We (fortunately) learned the thin green dashed dots on the BLM map meant either a planned road (at the time of map making) or a road that had been put in since the first printing of the map. The road worked its way around private land and wilderness area and…
IMG8715-L.jpg

…connected to good ranch road.
IMG8717-L.jpg

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Part 6

IMG8719-L.jpg

IMG8721-L.jpg

What’s that white line on the top of the hills?
IMG8722-L.jpg

Snow of course!
IMG8725-L.jpg

Back on 2-track roads headed to Pinto Hot Springs.
IMG8727-L.jpg

The first creek, err ice flow, crossing.
IMG8730-L.jpg

The second crossing, I choose the bypass to the right going this direction, but stayed on the road on the way back out.
IMG8732-L.jpg

The ice was several inches thick. We thought we were the first to travel this road in a while since it was so thick. But a week after going through here, I found someone on the WTW forum who reported getting stuck here just several days after we were there, and his photos showed the ice had reformed just as thick.
IMG8734-L.jpg

Pinto Hot Spring West
IMG8735-L.jpg

The West spring was way too hot to soak in (and, in fact, was fenced against animals wandering in). the water fed a livestock tank down the hill a bit, which gave the water a chance to cool.
IMG8736-L.jpg

So hot it was actually boiling!
IMG8737-L.jpg

Rasa is staying safely on the other side of the fence at this one.
IMG8739-L.jpg

Boiling water in the middle.
IMG8740-L.jpg

Pinto Hot Springs East.
IMG8741-L.jpg

IMG8742-L.jpg

Interesting rock with a quartz band in it.
IMG8743-L.jpg

Close up of the quartz band.
IMG8744-L.jpg

This particular spring had a channel cut to funnel its water.
IMG8746-L.jpg

Travertine mounds and caves.
IMG8748-L.jpg

Mini tufa mound.
IMG8750-L.jpg

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Part 7

IMG8751-L.jpg

Look, so cute, a mini volcano!
IMG8753-L.jpg

Water bubbling at the top.
IMG8754-L.jpg

IMG8757-L.jpg

And yes that is ice at the bottom!
IMG8758-L.jpg

IMG8760-L.jpg

There is water and steam coming out of that rabbit hole!
IMG8761-L.jpg

IMG8762-L.jpg

The main springs.
IMG8763-L.jpg

IMG8764-L.jpg

IMG8765-L.jpg

IMG8766-L.jpg

IMG8767-L.jpg

IMG8768-L.jpg

A rabbit bounds across the landscape.
IMG8769-L.jpg

Close up of the rabbit from the previous picture.
IMG8769a-L.jpg

The rabbit sitting.
IMG8770-L.jpg

Great colors in the creek downstream from the main springs.
IMG8772-L.jpg

IMG8773-L.jpg

IMG8774-L.jpg

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Part 8

IMG8775-L.jpg

IMG8779-L.jpg

Where streams from two different springs meet. See the “travertine” build up on the right? This is where I made my near fatal mistake. :eek:
IMG8780-L.jpg

Rasa standing at the confluence of the two streams. I decided the old board going across the stream to the right seemed pretty dicey, so I decided to test the “travertine” build up with my foot and see how solid it was…
IMG8781-L.jpg

…only it was soft silty mud with absolutely no resistance and I lost my balance. Fell in all the way up to my hip in what was essentially quicksand. Fortunately the water was only warm here and not scalding! And fortunately Rasa was standing right next to me. This picture shows the hole that I left behind after Rasa pulled me out.
IMG8781a-L.jpg

You can see how far my leg sunk in.
IMG8782-L.jpg

And there was a stream nearby that had warm water to do laundry!
IMG8785-L.jpg

IMG8786-L.jpg

The end of the stream, it just empted out on flat land.
IMG8789-L.jpg

Another spring in the Pinto Springs East area. This was the only one we found that was structured for soaking in.
IMG8790-L.jpg

This spring was a good temp for soaking, but was infested with red spider mites.
IMG8796-L.jpg

Old in-ground building.
IMG8792-L.jpg

Water from the springs further up the hill had turned to ice.
IMG8804-L.jpg

Last edited:

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Part 9

A duck (though in this photo it looks more like a grouse or chukar, but in person we thought it was a duck and did see several ducks on the trip) takes flight from its hiding spot.
IMG8806-L.jpg

Close up of the bird in the previous photo.
IMG8806a-L.jpg

Somewhere in this valley a Navy JD-1 crashed claiming the lives of 2 of the 3 crew members. Someday we will come back to look for it.
IMG8807-L.jpg

IMG8809-L.jpg

But for now, it's getting late on Sunday afternoon, and it's time to head home. But we're going to take the long way around the north and west side of the Black Rock Desert area and down to Gerlach.
IMG8812-L.jpg

IMG8813-L.jpg

IMG8815-L.jpg

IMG8817-L.jpg

The ice broken from our previous crossing.
IMG8821-L.jpg

IMG8823-L.jpg

IMG8825-L.jpg

A little ranch.
IMG8827-L.jpg

IMG8829-L.jpg

Another ranch, this one definitely looked abandoned. We wanted to stop and check it out, but we were running out of daylight. Next time.
IMG8832-L.jpg

IMG8835-L.jpg

IMG8836-L.jpg

A dusting of snow on the hills.
IMG8837-L.jpg

IMG8838-L.jpg

Summit Lake.
IMG8842-L.jpg

IMG8844-L.jpg

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Part 10 The End!

Losing daylight and we still have a ways to go.
IMG8845-L.jpg

Sunset.
IMG8847-L.jpg

IMG8848-L.jpg

Made it to Soldier Meadows campground with just the last little bit of remaining light. I had never been here, so wanted to scout it out for future trips.
IMG8855-L.jpg

The warm creek at Soldier Meadows.
IMG8857-L.jpg

Checking one of the soaking pools.
IMG8858-L.jpg

We still have another 60 miles or so before pavement… and the fuel gage was getting low. We actually ran out of gas in the middle of the Black Rock playa, but I brought two jerry cans of gas for this trip. I could have added the 5 gallons sooner, but had yet to run out of gas in the Tacoma and wanted to know where empty truly was on the gas gauge. Driving the playa at night was a surreal experience. Even though the off-road lights lit up 1 to 2 miles ahead of us, all you could see was flat and featureless terrain. It felt like traveling in an illuminated bubble of light and all sensation of speed, slow or fast, was lost.
IMG8860-L.jpg

Time to unload at home the next day. We made it home a little after 1:00 AM. 250+ miles of off pavement over 2 days and we only saw one other person the whole time! It was more than 800 miles for the whole trip; tiring, cold, but worth it. We will be returning in the spring!
IMG8864-L.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
great write up & pics...
all that clear water and some of can kill you...amazing.
Also good to know you didn't suffer any burns/damage from the misstep.

Thanks for posting this and your other adventures, checking out plane crash sites is not something I would have thought of but it looks like a great excuse to travel remote areas

Red Coat

Thank you!

I enjoyed your photo trip report. Thank you for taking the time to post it'

Paul VKD:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger