Blank Canvas???

Icebox

Observer
It reminds me of my old 79 but with a 60 and leafs. Only problem is the 9 mpg issue. But carb 460's are nearly indestructable.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I'd lose the 460 in a heartbeat and drop in a warmed over 3.9L Cummins 4BT...big gas engines have no place in an expedition rig. The fuel you'd need to carry alone to be able to do 500 miles between stops with a reserve would throw the van past GVRW....

Diesel.

Spence

Icebox

Observer
I kinda feel the same but don't you think the 4bt may be a little under powered to tow with? It would pull the van itself fine but with a 3 speed auto, well you'd have to add extra boost and turn up the fuel. EGT's would run high in the desert climbing some long grades. Too bad a 6bt is too long to fit. But the 4bt is near the top of my list for my next Jeep or Jeep-like toy. Think of the van as the Lunar Lander and the Tow-behind-whatever-it-is as the lunar rover. It would work very well. Oops sorry for the detour.
The way I think the 4bt would work is to use a manual trans like a T98 with the side saddle shifter like Ford used in the old tilt cab C600. Then add an Advance Adapter Ranger OD and you're splittin gears with the Pete's:smiley_drive: Sorry it all makes sense until the word "Tow" is mentioned.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I kinda feel the same but don't you think the 4bt may be a little under powered to tow with? It would pull the van itself fine but with a 3 speed auto, well you'd have to add extra boost and turn up the fuel. EGT's would run high in the desert climbing some long grades. Too bad a 6bt is too long to fit. But the 4bt is near the top of my list for my next Jeep or Jeep-like toy. Think of the van as the Lunar Lander and the Tow-behind-whatever-it-is as the lunar rover. It would work very well. Oops sorry for the detour.
The way I think the 4bt would work is to use a manual trans like a T98 with the side saddle shifter like Ford used in the old tilt cab C600. Then add an Advance Adapter Ranger OD and you're splittin gears with the Pete's:smiley_drive: Sorry it all makes sense until the word "Tow" is mentioned.

A 4BT will reliably make 300hp/450ft lbs all day long with the right turbo and the right pump. How much more do you want? :sombrero: The correct transmission will be critical...it wouldn't be a 3 speed.

Boomer will be getting a 4BT upgrade once I kill the IDI (what...300k miles away or so....??) , and by that point I may be crazy enough to see what it might take to bolt an Alison behind a Cummins....

Spence

Icebox

Observer
An Allison would be crazy overkill cool!!!! My friend's Duramax has one and it has some sort of lockup converter for braking downhill when loaded. I'd definately will volunteer to truck sit for a weekend just to figure it all out. I'd love to see how an E-series would work with that setup and at what fuel economy. I've heard that with the right combo 25-27 is possible. So with an OD Allison and say 3.73-4.10 maybe....22 with the hot pump??? What do you think the numbers say??

Icebox

Observer
......... Open the garage doors and flood the ballast tanks with money.........and tell my wife I'll be late for dinner......:snorkel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78