Blasphemy the Cherokee

This is blasphemy the Cherokee. It use to be a trail rig that I purchased off a buddy for about 700. It's your typical dirt trail truck that he loved and did not want to let go with but he thought it was done for when it was rear ended. Then it found it's new home with me. I've got alot of plans in store for the Cherokee if you saw my other thread you'd get an idea so here it goes. This rig is going to be my Fiancée and my expedition rig. We are looking to become more adventurous into the offroading side although I've done three day to week camping trips while back packing I haven't ventured to far off into the vehicle side of things besides random camping in near by local woods. The game plan is to refresh the whole Jeep with oe or upgraded parts which working at a parts store (Oriellys) and having connections to four wheel helps. Also it'll be eventually getting a motor swap if funds allow but in the meantime it might get turboed or hope on the Eaton wagon.
464633bcfbfa81669f56002089062a83.jpg

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

Almost forgot. All front links and tie rod ends have been swapped over to moog components. Also thinking about swapping to a wj steering box with a external cooler. Also looking into one for the transmission to as I do tow a trailer every so often.
f14ff83470118333567ef1b540f3e706.jpg

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Cheap upgrade on the trans cooler would be to get one off a wrecked Explorer in the junkyard. I did my cooler for about $15 - and that included the cooler and new tubing.

Perhaps pull it from the same Explorer that you pull the 8.8 out of.....(great upgrade from the D35).

I've tried a couple different Durango steering boxes on mine and keep going back to the OEM.

Cheap upgrade on the trans cooler would be to get one off a wrecked Explorer in the junkyard. I did my cooler for about $15 - and that included the cooler and new tubing.

Perhaps pull it from the same Explorer that you pull the 8.8 out of.....(great upgrade from the D35).

I've tried a couple different Durango steering boxes on mine and keep going back to the OEM.
Thanks for the tip I'll have to look into that! And as for the 8.8 I've heard of using it just never thought about it. Are they really that strong?

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
44 is a bit stronger than an 8.8, but considerably more expensive. You can also find the 8.8 with a limited slip in it which will help if you aren't going to lock it. I got my 8.8 with 4.10s for about $150 at the junkyard and put another $100 into getting it modified to fit. You will need spacers for the 8.8.

44 is a bit stronger than an 8.8, but considerably more expensive. You can also find the 8.8 with a limited slip in it which will help if you aren't going to lock it. I got my 8.8 with 4.10s for about $150 at the junkyard and put another $100 into getting it modified to fit. You will need spacers for the 8.8.
I'll probably end up getting it lockers for the time being as it mainly sees fire roads as of right now. Anyone like 302s? I got my hands on one for 100 not sure if I wanna swap it or not.

bluejeep

just a guy

Respecfully, I thought the 8.8 was stronger. But then maybe it depends on what part we're talking about (ring gear, axle tubes, etc). I do know that the 8.8 is a c-clip design, which there is a fix for if that's a concern.

I installed an explorer 8.8 in my TJ. Another item to note is it is a bit more narrow than the 35 it replaced, and the driveshaft is just slightly off center. Some folks add spacers to widen it, and usually the off-center bit isn't enuf to cause any issues.

No problems with mine for the last 15 years. lots of internet info on that swap

kenaero

Observer
5.0 stuff

As to an 8.8 rear end; guys swapped their IRS out of supercharged Cobras "the Terminator motor" for 8.8's and run 10's on slicks. So I doubt your going hurt one. 302's are a great motor IF it fits. Lots of aftermarket for it because of the 5.0 Mustang.If you can, find a 5.0 Explorer and get everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger