Blaz's 2005 blazer

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Fullsize offers a progressive dampening and does not limit the articulation. It offers a near stock ride, maybe slightly firmer? Better cornering stability. It just feels right.
If you study the fullsize suspension up front, this does exactly the same.
They do not act like an abrupt stop. They become a progressive spring. Easier on the suspension. Less stress. IMO, the right way to solve the problem and how it should have been to begin with.

BTW, I did try spacers and polyurethane bump stops too, before finding the right answer.

Last edited:

blaz

Adventurer
It was a bad day on the trail today. I ended up with a broken front driveshaft and some rocker damage.

I guess if you go off the road these things will happen.

Front drive shaft CV joint.
DSC00658.jpg

Rocker damage.
DSC00659.jpg

A pic of my Buddies Zed blazer.
IMG-20120630-00274.jpg

Still was nice to get out of the city, better spotting and getting my rear locker installed is becoming a priority.

CYi5

Explorer
Clean blazer, I love what you did incorporating your factory front bumper back into the winch mount. Thumbs up!

luchenbach

I was admiring your wiring of the CB. Were those standard Euro-style terminal strips, or are they larger, to allow daisy-chaining?

blaz

Adventurer
Thanks Gents. Like every mod there are a few changes I would like to do to the front bumper. I am happy with it though, only minor tweaks.

As for the terminal blocks. They were just picked up at the local electronics place. I ran # 12 wire for the jumpers/daisy chain. It was tight but all the strands got locked under the screws.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the pics Blaz:Wow1:! Super cool to see your rig offroad even if you did get some carnage......:ylsmoke:

blaz

Adventurer
Too bad Chilli. Do you get out at all in Denmark?

BIG update today!

The E-locker has been installed and it locks and opens like it should. Upon reading the instructions again (4th time) I have decided to put in a secondary switch so that no one accidentally turns it on @ highway speeds. 3 MPH is the max engagement speed. 20 MPH is the recommended max speed while engaged. Perfect for crawling around my local haunts.

I have no pics of this upgrade. I also had the shop replace the axle seals and carrier bearings.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Glad to hear that your locker is in and working well:Wow1: Blaz! Nope, not much 4by4 action here in Denmark. But in less than a week I will be in B.C. and I will be doing a thread in the `in progress adventures´ section. Going to be doing some upgrades to the old Chevy and there will be the usual footage of landscape and steaks soaked in Cattle Boyz steak sauce. As a new feature I might even try to get some shots of the local babes.:Wow1: Does that not sound like fun?:ylsmoke:

blaz

Adventurer
IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

I got out again today. :wings:

I have a problem though, second time out with the 33's and second broken front driveshaft. :Wow1: I am pushing the blazer a little harder than before but a driveshaft every time out will kill me. Anyone have any suggestions? The CV joint closest to the T-Case is the part that fails. I have read that after lifts the angle changes but my front diff and T-case are still in the factory locations.

PS. The EATON E locker is far better than the stock G80! :)

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
nice mods you have done

I had an older 87 with 31's, never snapped joints though so I have no anwser other then going back to 31's & saving grace & the wallet

not sure if you can fabricate a drop cross member for the trans & Tcase like they do on jeeps ?

that may reduce the stress & angle that causes the break

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Agree on the Eaton. Had one on my BlaZR2 and it was night and day difference.

On the front propshaft, I *believe* there was a different one used on the pickups than on the Blazer that did not include the CV on the front but you need to check. I do know that the ones who converted to SFA used a non-CV style front prop shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears