Bleeding Brakes U1350L (1550)

Daytonacoupe66

Hi; I recently picked up my new to me 1998 U1350L that was imported from Belgium to Canada, and is an ex-Belgium Army truck. It is a lovely Unimog with 6500 kilometers and no rust, and is my first Unimog so a steep learning curve. I’m getting the know the truck by dealing with the basics; fluid changes all around. I'm having a tough time finding an owner’s or service manuals for the SBU 437 Unimog; best I’ve been able to come up with is a SBU 427 owner’s manual. Some stuff is there but some items are different, and the level of detail for a newb is lacking. If anybody with a similar ride has suggestions I’d appreciate your views – are you folks tapping into an annual membership with Mercedes WIS? The lack of up to date literature is challenging me big time – I do most of my own work providing I can find the proper guidance, and manuals are usually no problem to dredge up. No luck on good literature for this truck.

I bled the front brakes last evening; gravity. Used a clear hose and clear 4 litre container to catch the old fluid. It was dirty. Process = siphoned out both resevoirs first. I bled the right front two calipers first, then the two left front before rain drove me inside. Overall, I poured approximately 2 litres of DOT 4 through the smaller reservoir on top of the MC at the mid left side of the truck, and the level never got below half so no air was introduced. The larger reservoir did not go down and needed no replenishing. From my reading on this and the Benz sites I was under the impression that the front 4 calipers shared hydraulic circuits with the rear? So…should the larger reservoir level not go down as well when I crack one or more of the front bleeder screws? I’m puzzled because the left front caliper produced an endless stream of small bubbles, almost frothing, that no amount of fluid would eliminate. Where are the bubbles coming from – I’ve driven the truck and there have been no leaks. Good brakes as well.

Second question pertains to bleeding the clutch; the fluid is dark. This U1350L does not have a PTO. I cannot find a slave cylinder on the bell housing, but there is what appears to be a bleed nipple at the top rear vertical axis of the housing. Is the slave inside the housing, perhaps on the throw out bearing? If so, I assume that a gravity bleed would work for refreshing the clutch fluid? Is there somebody out there with a similar truck who has had experience with this set up?

Opinions are appreciated. These are rare trucks in my part of the world (Nova Scotia, Canada), and I’m grateful for the internet and this site.

Cheers…..

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Best thing to bleed the brakes and the clutch is a pressure bleeder, gravity bleeding will only work if there are no air bubbles in the system. I got one of these, http://www.motiveproducts.com/, it works great, makes bleeding the brakes a 10 minute job. It also makes bleeding the clutch very easy as well. The bleed nipple on the bell housing is for a hydraulic throw-out bearing, no slave cylinder required,
PICT1909.jpg

MB have a habit of not making anything "standard", on my U1250m the front and rear callipers on one circuit are linked, but on U1300, all four front callipers are off one circuit, and the rear callipers off another circuit. Easy way to check is to see if you have two flexible hose pipes on each front wheel or one. The air bubbles on the one brake calliper bleed is from opening the bleed nipple a bit too much, the syphon effect is sucking air in through the threads of the bleed nipple.

Atkinson Vos have the 427/437 supplements, contact them. The workshop manuals are great, but they also assume you are a properly trained MB mechanic with all the special tool at hand.

http://www.unimogs.co.uk/accessorydetail.asp?t=HANDBOOKS%20AND%20%20MANUALS&s=14

Last edited:

Daytonacoupe66

Iain,

Thank you for covering off the questions. I will invest in the pressure bleeder, and will also enquire regarding the service manual and supplement. Fortunately I have a low mileage truck, so hopefully no major repairs will be necessary in the short term. Typically ultra proactive with maintenance. I am learning that I'll be on my own in this neck of the woods for parts and service for this vehicle, so intend to accumulate critical reference material and regular maintenance bits, including access to the EPC. Best to have that on hand if I need the help of a MB tech + SSTs. This site and links are a great network.

Cheers....Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears