Blown speakers

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Anyone know how to get to the front dash speakers in a 1999 montero? My front speakers are toast. Time to fix them.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Well I'm going to tru to takle this on sunday. Cant be too hard. Just not obvious. Going on a road trip to Newport Beach at the end of the month. Going to have 5 poeple in the truck. Right now I'm only using the ones in the back. People in the back seat will have tunes too loud if I turn it up to where I want to hear it in the front.

JackWagon

This may end up bein' too little, too late... but I replaced all three pairs of speakers on my '97 SR. IIRC... the 2.5s have basically the same interior.

Here's the speaker specs:

Front Dash Speaker = 4" (max 2.5" depth)

Front Door Speaker = 6.5" (max 3" depth)

Rear Speakers = 6x9" (max 4" depth)

To access the driver-side dash speaker, you gotta do a fair bit of 'disassemblage' to remove the lower dash... IIRC there's four screws. Two of'em are pretty obvious... two of'em are hidden behind the hood release and the gas-cap, door release.

To access the passenger-side dash speaker, there's a single screw which keeps the cover panel secure. (You might be able to just pull the mesh cover on either side, but the 'bendy tabs' will straighten and probably cause the covers to sag.)

Front door speakers can be replaced with full-range speakers or component speakers. If you choose full-range speakers (tweeter and woofer together), you don't have to take the whole interior trim off (just free the bottom and work from the underside... but it's a little tight). If you wanna replace the speakers with component speakers (seperate tweeters and woofers) you're gunna have to take the whole door panel off, and depending of the brand of speaker you install, you may have to make some modifications to the tweeter holes.

Rear speakers take the most work in that the rear seats need to come out along with interior, rocker-panel trim... I also had to grind down the original cut-outs to fit a slightly 'beefier' speaker.

I purchased Infinity Reference speakers all the way around (through onlinecarstereo.com) and have been very satisfied with both the sound quality of the system and the service from the on-line retailer...

The only other thing I should note is that while I used the factory speaker wires (18g) I clipped the factory speaker connections and installed new ones to fit the new speakers.

Hope that was, and/or will be, of some help...

speedtre

Explorer
This may end up bein' too little, too late... but I replaced all three pairs of speakers on my '97 SR. IIRC... the 2.5s have basically the same interior.

Here's the speaker specs:

Front Dash Speaker = 4" (max 2.5" depth)

Front Door Speaker = 6.5" (max 3" depth)

Rear Speakers = 6x9" (max 4" depth)

To access the driver-side dash speaker, you gotta do a fair bit of 'disassemblage' to remove the lower dash... IIRC there's four screws. Two of'em are pretty obvious... two of'em are hidden behind the hood release and the gas-cap, door release.

To access the passenger-side dash speaker, there's a single screw which keeps the cover panel secure. (You might be able to just pull the mesh cover on either side, but the 'bendy tabs' will straighten and probably cause the covers to sag.)

Front door speakers can be replaced with full-range speakers or component speakers. If you choose full-range speakers (tweeter and woofer together), you don't have to take the whole interior trim off (just free the bottom and work from the underside... but it's a little tight). If you wanna replace the speakers with component speakers (seperate tweeters and woofers) you're gunna have to take the whole door panel off, and depending of the brand of speaker you install, you may have to make some modifications to the tweeter holes.

Rear speakers take the most work in that the rear seats need to come out along with interior, rocker-panel trim... I also had to grind down the original cut-outs to fit a slightly 'beefier' speaker.

I purchased Infinity Reference speakers all the way around (through onlinecarstereo.com) and have been very satisfied with both the sound quality of the system and the service from the on-line retailer...

The only other thing I should note is that while I used the factory speaker wires (18g) I clipped the factory speaker connections and installed new ones to fit the new speakers.

Hope that was, and/or will be, of some help...

Thanks!

CoronaMan

I'm working on replacing my rear speakers. I don't think these are subs since they are supplying higher range frequencies along with the lower end, and they are pairs. The infinity OEM speakers are in good condition but have some serious distortion issues at the lower end. Anyone have the same opinion and recommend a replacement that have good response at the lower end? I can also help explain the plastic panel removal if needed.

plh

Explorer
There are a couple phillips head screws on the bottom side of the dash grills IIRC. Was easy. I put Kenwoods in the '93 (6x) and Alpines in the '92 (6x). The Alpines sound better IMHO.

rahee006

Observer
I am bringing this up. I am wanting to replace the amp, since my Front door speakers only play bass, and all the mids are coming from the dash speaker which seems to work fine.
the rear speakers however have power, but i can only hear static. I am using Kenwood KFC-6965S 4ohm speakers. any ideas why they are not working?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78