BMW GS 650 + and - ?

Cody1771

Explorer
Hey guys, i tried a thread search but i couldnt find much info, there is lots on the 1200's but very little on the 650's or 800.

my question to you guys is how does the BMW GS 650 compare to say a KLR 650 or a DRZ650? im used to riding bikes with a little more snap behind the throttle and the KLR kind of lacks that. i know that 1200's have tons of power but they are more than i would like to pay for a bike.

what kind of range do they get? how do they ride when they have full cargo rack ect. or is there a thread that i missed somewhere?

F650GS.jpg

Last edited:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
650 and 800

I had a 650 Dakar and it is a good solid bike and comfortable but no speed demon. I have also had a DR650 with a yosh exhaust and jetted that was significantly faster and more fun to ride then the 650Dakar. I know what you mean with the KLR, it was my first bike and while torque was no problem it didnt have the snap that other bikes have.

The bike you pictured is the old 650, similar to what I owned. The new 650 is the same engine as the 800 with some minor tweaks, both are two cylinder as opposed to of the old thumper 650. I recently rode an 800 an it is a lot of fun and fast. The new 650/800 is a very different bike than the old f650gs/dakar. The power and delivery was great and brakes were perfect. Seat of the pants feel was that the bike was bigger, heavier, and although it held the weight well not as "dirty" as the older thumpers. What I mean is the 800 felt more like a street bike than a dual sport. There are a lot of people out there proving what the new 800 is capable of, so i dont doubt its ability in the dirt, but it is much more of a performance touring bike. I also would not take a 1200 where some think it should go.....it is a big old road bike to me, dirt road sure, but no real rough stuff.

FWIW

And......my Dakar got great mileage, even with a small tank it was 200+ miles easily. I could have a passenger or lots of gear on the back and it was very well balanced and happy. Again the bike you have pictured is the F650GS not the GS650, just making sure.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The bike you pictured is the old 650, similar to what I owned. The new 650 is the same engine as the 800 with some minor tweaks, both are two cylinder as opposed to of the old thumper 650.

The picture is indeed of the 'old' F650GS, but BMW still sells the same basic bike under the G650GS badge.

G bikes are the singles
F bikes are the parallel twins
R bikes are the horizontally opposed twins
K bikes are the inline 4-cyl.

Your descriptions of the old 650GS and the newer 800's is pretty accurate. My old 650GS (single) was a great 'back road touring bike', and performed very well on the TAT -- right up until I got on the freeway to ride home. It would have been happier on the back roads and state highways. A full load + 1400 miles in 2 days wasn't that much fun. Range was excellent. The 950ADV that was on the trip ran out of gas 3 times (the 2 liter reserve we carried was enough to get us to the next town in each case), my 650 never got into the reserve (I averaged just over 70mpg between Trinidad and Port Orford).

My 800GS is a lot more *fun* than the 650 (single) was -- the suspension is light years ahead of the 650 and it has the power to get you down the road, on top of the sand, etc. -- but it's a bit finicky at low speeds, where the 650GS (single) was not.

The 800GS wakes up (becomes fun to ride) at about 20mph, below that it's pretty heavy and you are into the clutch quite a bit (a smaller c/s sprocket would help).

Cody1771

Explorer
good to know

goodtimes, i notice you own a husa... hehe your description is quite adequate. currently i have an offer to sell my truck, i always find myself limiting my trip distances due to fuel, ive always loved being on 2 wheels so i think the next step in progression is trying the 2 wheel overland thing. 70 mpg gives me a smile ear to ear. like i said i really like the KLR's but they lack the oomf i like when riding. maybe ill have to poke my head in the local BMW dealer and see if they have a test ride model.

oh and i changed the pic in the first thread

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I got a screaming deal on the Husaberg. It's not really my style of bike, but it is so damn fun to ride, I just can't get myself to part with it. I ride it at about 10% of its potential -- kinda like an old geezer putting around in a ferrari, goosing it every now and then . . .:sombrero:

BMW is good about test rides. The local dealer (Iron Horse) says they are seeing a pretty good bump in the sales of the F650GS (the new twin), as people are finding they work well for travel -- not quite as high strung as the 800, but smoother & more power than the G650GS (the single). But be aware of the limitations of the cast wheels. I'm not sure what kind of mileage they are getting out of them, but the 800 (same engine as the f650 twin) is only averaging around 50mpg (my old 650GS single was averaging better than 60 when I mixed freeway use in, better than 70 on the back roads & dirt).

Putting all brand allegiances aside, the best bike is the one between your butt and the road.

Cody1771

Explorer
thanks for all the good info, if i got the 650 i would be going for the F, but im leaning more towards the 800 now, oh well, have lots of time to research as i wont be lookign until i sell my truck first.

NeverEnough

Adventurer
I have spent time on a lot of f's old and new, with and without gear and pillion. If you anticipate two-up riding you might prefer the 1200. Otherwise the 800 is an awesome bike. So is the KLR and DRZ but I prefer the beemers.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer

The bike pictured in Cody's post is the F650 twin, i.e. the 800cc motor that is shared with the F800GS, but is detuned to approximately 75HP. Why the call it an F650 no one understands, just those inscrutable Germans

Compared to the bikes noted the F650 will be quicker and a better street bike, but its adventure capabilities is mostly limited to gravel roads. As with most BMW's its available with a full complement of luggage and accessories and has a strong aftermarket.

If you are looking for primarily a street bike, then the 650 is a good choice. If you are looking for a bike with pretensions of being an adventure tourer, then by a KLR 650 or a used Dakar.

Jim

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
If I could get any bike in the 600 range personally right now, it would probably be the Husqvarna te610 in terms of bang/buck and reliability. That is a good start, but any single 600 will be "rough" for sure. If this helps...

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
One bike you might seriously look at, if you are looking for a more dirt style bike, is the Xchallenge 650. Great bike, fun to ride too. I like them, but had been concerned about them being a one off bike. My dealer told me, however, they are still using the same thumper in the G650gs, and most of the parts (aside from plastic) are on the bikes they are still making, therefore parts will be out there as the bike gets a little older.

They are a nice bike, and do well off road. Two years ago there were even four or five that did the Dakar. (obviously they were kitted a little different, but basically the same bike.)

The F650 and the F800 are really similar bikes, I believe they even have the same frame. Suspension is different, wheels are bigger on the 800, and a few other things. I also would point you towards consideration of the 1100's 1150's and 1200GS/A's great bikes, yes they are larger, but I have seen a lot of people use them very nimbly. I assume you have seen Ewin McGreger's trip on them? Honestly this guy is not a big off road rider, and if he can run one in the dirt like that I figure most anyone with the least bit of balance should be able to as well. Plus they are far nicer for the ride to the dirt and back.

You can also do a search over at advrider.com, they are a great adventure bike forum with loads of info. The only reason I mention them is because you said you are not adverse to searches, and I reckon you can find a lot on there.

Best of luck and show us photos of what you end up with! (please)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior