Bobby's WK Overland build

bobbylx

Well, just a warning, this is going to be a slow process. I'm also copying this from my original post on another forum, trying to condense it all in one post. :)

Oct 2013

So..had a few Jeeps over the last few years, but my most recent DD/project was a 1987 Cherokee Wagoneer. After quite a lot of work and money I was finally getting to a point where I wanted to start painting. Well, last week driving home from work it started pinging/tapping very loudly. After a thorough check I found I had a cracked piston skirt, chunks of piston in my oil pan. So at that point I decided I was done with that project. (FYI, if anyone cares my build is over at cherokee forum, not sure about the link policy, will remove if i need to, http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/bobbys-1987-wagoneer-build-165856/

Fast forward to this week. I picked up a 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4. It's got the 5.7 Hemi and as the overland name suggests, it's got all the bells and whistles except the DVD player (which is fine with me) and 134k miles.

My plans for the foreseeable future are to get a lift and some new wheels'/tires. I'll also be performing some of the cheaper mods I've seen on here. As soon as I sell off the 1987 I'll be shopping for the lift, and hope to pick up some Rubicon take offs or similar from craigslist. Here's some pics for now.

Oct 2013

Again, slowly making progress. Found a heck of a deal on some JK Moabs on CL so I snatched those up and some parts store spacers. I have some auctions ending soon so hopefully a bit of a lift and some real spacers in the near future. The Goodyears on the JK wheels are going to have to do for now.

Feb 2014

Well Sunday got up to 65* so it was perfect to work on the Jeep. Managed to get the RC lift on in about 4.5 hrs. It looks so much better already, I was getting tired of the soccer mom look. Now to keep my eyes on CL for some good AT or Mud terrain tires.

lifted_zps87967055.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Apr 2014

Don't have any new Jeep updates, but I did get a new "accessory" for it. Used my little bit of Jeep savings and picked up a Pop-up camper. Took it out on it's first trip last weekend to a local state park. Now that I got that out of the way, hopefully I can get back on track with the Jeep mods. I realize I need a roof basket, probably the rolla or something similar, for these camping trips!

IMG_20140405_190109_zps25e9f6c1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Aug 2014

So, just some small updates to my build. I picked up a set of Nitto Tera Grapplers (265/70/17) off of CL about 3 months ago and they have been sitting in my garage since. I managed to finally get them installed on Sunday, and also had my alignment done. I've got a bit of clunking that I am chasing down now, only happens when turning....so time to start replacing old parts I guess.

I've also done a bit of plasi-dipping. Used the gun metal gray on my grill, front and back emblems, and the side molding. I also removed the overland side trim below the door and the front lower portion of the air dam. At some point in the next 6-10 months I plan to fab up a front bumper and sliders, and also some kind of spare tire holder similar to Detours knucklebone, and roof rack (Gobi knockoff).

Here she is at the moment.

Oct 2014

No real Jeep updates right now, but with fall/winter coming I'm sure I'll work on some stuff.

Did get out to Uwharrie this past weekend. Didn't have a chance to run any trails, this was a camping trip with the family, but still managed to cruise some of the paved roads.

I've got a big list of stuff to do, just waiting to find some good deals on metal. Hoping to build sliders, roof rack, spare tire carrier, and a front bumper of some kind (maybe something like the 4xguard for less weight).

And that bring this thing up to date. As the weather gets warmer, I'll be fabbing a roof rack, maybe some sliders and some form of front bumper like a 4xguard (not a full size bumper) and some other accessories.

A

AngryRedBird

Looks like you got a great little adventure going there and you threw on a set of wrangler 5 spokes.. just like the ones I have on ours.. that alone is worth mentioning cause other jeepers are looking for wheel options.

Bob Freda

Adventurer
Looking good. I have an 07' Overland and LOVE it. Beware of the N23 recall if you havn't already addressed it. I just did the Knucklebone tire carrier and agree that you could probably build your own, but at $268 it was cheap enough.

bobbylx

Hi Bob, yeah there is a long thread over on JF about the N23. I have no plans to get that performed.. Nice WK you have there. If I were going to choose another, I think I would choose that color.

paroxysym

Adventurer
nice to see another WK on here, maybe sooner or later ill start a build thread.

Hey, do you still have your jeep? Any issues with it over the years?

ive had my jeep for 5 years now, with 163k on my 2007 4.7- shes been great. normal maintenance and wear items over the year.

bobbylx

Hey, do you still have your jeep? Any issues with it over the years?

Hi, I do still have it. I have had no real issue with it. I've got an occasional front end clunk, but I think that's due to adding lift springs to a slight worn front end. And I've just developed a small leak in my radiator. Getting a new radiator from Rock Auto, front end alignment locally, and some new bushings and mounts on the front end and I should be good for a while.

Mechanically, it has been great. The 5.7 hemi now has 163,xxx miles and drives great. I've kept the oil changed regularly with mobile one, have an oil catch can, do seafoam once a year or so, and done the plugs. Hopefully I can keep it rolling for another 100,xxx or more!

bobbylx

Have a few updates. Placed quite a few orders for things during the early winter and have been waiting for nicer weather to start installing.

Ordered over the winter,

Rusty's lift coils front and rear
Monroe shocks and struts
Rusty's adjustable track bar
Transmission filter set
New trans pan with drain
Transgo shift kit
Sonnax line pressure booster
Hunter brush guard
4 Cree 4x4 LED lights and wiring and switches
ODBII bluetooth adapter (downloaded Torque app, will likely buy the full version)

Weather finally warmed so I got my lift and some other things installed.

In the front, Rusty's springs with Monroe sensa-trac strut, and 2 x 1/4 strut spacers (made myself, but same as Rusty's). Hub to fender is 23 on the drivers side and 23.25 on passenger.
The rear is Rustys springs, monroe shocks, and my RRO spacer. I didn't take any measurements on the back, but it's sitting very level.

I also managed to install the Rusty's adjustable track bar and my hunter brush guard. I installed 2 of the lights on the brush guard and plan to mount 2 up high on the rear somewhere, to light up the camper when setting up at night.

I've got an oil change coming up, so I'll likely take a weekend to do the oil, transmission, and replace the radiator.

Added links to pics,

Attachments

• 20160321_190729.jpg
    20160321_190729.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears