Bobtailed 109

Outbackdrifter

G´day All

I´m just starting a rebuild on my 109 trayback, one of the first jobs I want to do is shorten chassis up to the rear spring hanger so it will end up looking like rear end of an 88 chassis.
I was wondering if anyone done this to 109 or seen one done ?

revor

Explorer
Seen it done a number of times. Usually guys don't go quite as far as an 88" so as to leave a little room for gear. But that's with a body.
With a tray I suspect you could make the cargo space as long as you like. Moving the crossmember isn't a big deal if I recall correctly. If you'r really into good load carrying and a rice ride you can stick really long springs from a big GM tuck under the rear, I mean since you are already gonna have the thing all apart. Of course I also stick the rear springs in the front for a nice ride.

Outbackdrifter

revor said:
Seen it done a number of times. Usually guys don't go quite as far as an 88" so as to leave a little room for gear. But that's with a body.
With a tray I suspect you could make the cargo space as long as you like. Moving the crossmember isn't a big deal if I recall correctly. If you'r really into good load carrying and a rice ride you can stick really long springs from a big GM tuck under the rear, I mean since you are already gonna have the thing all apart. Of course I also stick the rear springs in the front for a nice ride.

Thanks for your imput revor, Im only shortening it 13 inch of the back to the rear spring hanger, the tray for it is the next job after triming the chassis, I will be building it from ground & to match up with roof rack l am also building, spring setup I have already sorted out, Im going with a tuned setup when the rebuild is finished

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
Tibooburra? I've been thinking alot about Tibooburra recently, Sent a locker there a week or so ago and I remember being on Tibooburra road while doing the OBC in '06.
Must be calling me, time to check airplane tickets! I'll come help!

Outbackdrifter

revor said:
Tibooburra? I've been thinking alot about Tibooburra recently, Sent a locker there a week or so ago and I remember being on Tibooburra road while doing the OBC in '06.
Must be calling me, time to check airplane tickets! I'll come help!

Now you amaze me knowing were Tibooburra is, its still the same a tiny bum on the map in the middle of nowhere, Pop 90 ( l still think they counted the dogs, cats & chickens that day ;) )
You are welcome to come & visit any time you want & after looking at your site your very welcome to come..........I need al the help I can get :)

To give you an idea what I am aiming at in the end, here is a few Pics

View attachment 21171

This is what I am starting with the black beast, I have owned this rig for 9 years & rebuilt once ( PS you may know were her is parked in this pic, its Packsaddle Roadhouse half way between Tibooburra & Broken Hill )

View attachment 21172

This is what the basic chassis, cab & tray setup I want in the end,is like this custom 110 rig built by Devon 4x4, I really like its set up, the only real differentsis I will be running a softtop.

View attachment 21174

The bar & rack work I am copying of the tombraider Rig

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
Yep the Packsaddle road house!!

Fueled up, took a quick shower and got a great Hamburger with a Beet and an Egg on it!!!

You guys can't fool me Tomato Sauce is nearly the same thing as Ketchup.

Both are good on chip!

I've got some pics at work! I'll have to post them up!

On another note:

Afi quit doing that! That's a silly (but cool)car.
Silly Afrikans!

Outbackdrifter

revor said:
Yep the Packsaddle road house!!

Fueled up, took a quick shower and got a great Hamburger with a Beet and an Egg on it!!!

You guys can't fool me Tomato Sauce is nearly the same thing as Ketchup.

Both are good on chip!

I've got some pics at work! I'll have to post them up!

On another note:

Afi quit doing that! That's a silly (but cool)car.

Silly Afrikans!

Your right they make a mean hamburger..........its breakfast in a bun :eatchicke .
You keep beleiving that tomato sauce & Ketchup is almost the same :p but to tell you the truth I like BBQ sauce better.

Let me know when you put up your pics, I would Like to see them, I put up some too, to give everyone here an idea what a great place this is :victory:

revor

Explorer
First pic hanging out at the bar thinking about Mad Max

The second couple are just goofing around on the road to Tibooburra

The third pic is a Small rig across the street from the Roadhouse.

Sorry for the quality the camera was a waterproof 110 because of the last pic taken in a rather wet location called Viewmont.

Outbackdrifter

revor said:
First pic hanging out at the bar thinking about Mad Max

The second couple are just goofing around on the road to Tibooburra

The third pic is a Small rig across the street from the Roadhouse.

Sorry for the quality the camera was a waterproof 110 because of the last pic taken in a rather wet location called Viewmont.

Revor, Silverton is a great place for a cold beer & as for the small rigs out, you should see the triples that come down from Queensland:Wow1:

revor

Explorer
Ahhh the triples! I heard abou the "trains" but never saw one.

I love the country around there! Doing the OBC we spent a lot of time circling Broken hill, seems like that last pic is a road that goes out to an old water tank, or was it a fine sandy dry riverbed we slept in one night under the stars in my swag it was great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998