Body damage question

I found a mechanically excellent '99 for ~$2.5-3k below local market value due to the body damage seen in the photos. The owner says that the doors do not leak and the windows go up and down smoothly but I'm a bit dubious given the gaps. I'm personally fine with having the damage as long as it doesn't effect how the doors function. Any idea what it would cost to fix? Am I crazy for entertaining the idea?

13250730913_157b6a2346_o.jpg

13250728023_972770b041_o.jpg

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
if you going to trail ride with it , as long as the seals seal, i would let ride as is. that way you wont so scared to scar if the vegetation gets thick..

blvdking

Observer
Way too expensive if your that close to kbb. Hard to say but that looks like an easy $5-6k damage. I would only do it if the price is right, good news you're in a strong negotiating point.

Last edited:

Drover

Adventurer
I found a mechanically excellent '99 for ~$2.5-3k below local market value due to the body damage seen in the photos. The owner says that the doors do not leak and the windows go up and down smoothly but I'm a bit dubious given the gaps. I'm personally fine with having the damage as long as it doesn't effect how the doors function. Any idea what it would cost to fix? Am I crazy for entertaining the idea?

13250730913_157b6a2346_o.jpg

13250728023_972770b041_o.jpg
Hey, I don't know if this helps but , I often buy and resell cars. Sometimes it's easier to just buy a new panel/door rather than doin body work.
Car-parts.com is a network of car parts nationwide that all body shops use to source body panels. And in the listings they will list color and trim , so you can just order the right color and bolt it on!
I learned about this years ago from my body shop friends. Put in your search criteria and it'll give you literally hundreds of listings. I just went on there and did a quick search for ya, and I found doors in your green with the bottom molding for $350? So give it a shot, it's a great resource when you don't like f'n around with bondo. Bolt off bolt on applications

Thanks for the car-parts tip. I had been searching various parts sites but hadn't found one with any doors, good to know I could get a COMPLETE front door for ~$750+ shipping should there be a leak problem. I'm going to talk to the owner and lower my offer pretty considerably, see what they do.

Drover

Adventurer
Thanks for the car-parts tip. I had been searching various parts sites but hadn't found one with any doors, good to know I could get a COMPLETE front door for ~$750+ shipping should there be a leak problem. I'm going to talk to the owner and lower my offer pretty considerably, see what they do.

That's great! That site is pretty cool, it's an "industry" type website , not really available to the public. But, when you call these guys , no one asks if your a shop or not.
Last year I replaced my whole interioir in my suburban for $900! You can't even get it reupholstered for that. And more to the point , if you took it in for reupholstery , you would have to leave it for a couple of days. When my 3 rows of seats came in , a socket set and an hour later I had a new interior.
Check that site again , I saw doors in your color/trim combo for $350. The most expensive ones are listed first , and get less expensive as you go down the list.

dms1

Explorer
I would make sure the " B Pillar" that the rear door bolts on to is not damaged. Also might want to find out if it has a salvage title as this could affect getting the vehicle fully insured.

Clean title. No idea on the B pillar. It can be had for ~$5500 and is located in Chico CA. 200k miles, rear locker, recent timing belt, water pump, starter, battery and tires if anyone else is interestd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78