Bolivian Beauty!!

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
I just wanted to introduce my new to me FJ40. It is from Bolivia and has only been in the states for 2 years, most of my family is from Argentina so I felt a bond immediately! It is a 1978 FJ40, newly painted, little to no rust, Montero seats covered in Bolivian leather (back seats were done in the same leather) engine fully re-built 9K mi. ago. Runs very strong, 4 on the floor. PO bought the updated clusters, old one was in km/hr. Rims are from a Nissan Patrol (will be for sale soon). The winch seems to be an original Toyota, has like 200' of wire spooled on there.

Lots of plans:
New suspension
rear bench seat for my 2 girls
A/C (Hot in Tucson!!)
New wheels & 33's
Lots of other little things.

Attachments

• IMG_0997a.jpg
    IMG_0997a.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0988a.jpg
    IMG_0988a.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1006a.jpg
    IMG_1006a.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 92

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
VIN says FJ! Whats funny is that the gas tank was relocated to under the rear and says Diesel.(Kind of wish it was).

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
VIN says FJ...

What is under the hood? Assuming a bare-bones 2F? Very common down south. Discs or drums on the front axle?

Always interesting to see the collection of parts on So/Central American Cruisers. Early heater, Warn winch (may have been dealer installed but is not the OEM PTO setup). Do the small bumperettes on the front bumper have a little Toyota emblem on them?

Congrats on a cool rig :cool:

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
What is under the hood? Assuming a bare-bones 2F? Very common down south. Discs or drums on the front axle?

Always interesting to see the collection of parts on So/Central American Cruisers. Early heater, Warn winch (may have been dealer installed but is not the OEM PTO setup). Do the small bumperettes on the front bumper have a little Toyota emblem on them?

Congrats on a cool rig :cool:

Hey Kurt,

It is a basic 2f, carb has been upgraded to a weber and a few other things as well. The winch is not a warn and I am trying to enclose another picture to see if you or anyone else can ID it for sure. the bumperettes do not say toyota and the front brakes have been converted to disc with 4x4 labs cross over steering.

Attachments

• IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 51

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Right on!

Toyota was re-badgine Warn winches to my knowledge? I know they were a dealer option as early as 79' (shown in the LC accessories manual along with thinkgs like a Toyota CB and a locking fuel cap, etc). Wonder if they were in fact building their own loosely based on the Bellvue/Warn design? That ND part number (and subsequent Toyota part number) sure make you think so. Come to think of it the electric winch found on some other non-US applications fits the same bill.

PhantomCL

I have two same Toyota winches on my FJ40. They are most heavy duty electric winch you can find.
Sealed, minimal maintenance, very fast, aditional underhood solenoid (activated with ignition key and plug in the control at same time), and winch overtemp alarm.

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
I have two same Toyota winches on my FJ40. They are most heavy duty electric winch you can find.
Sealed, minimal maintenance, very fast, aditional underhood solenoid (activated with ignition key and plug in the control at same time), and winch overtemp alarm.

Thanks for the info! I unspooled it last week and could not believe how fast it was. It blows my Warn M8000 out of the water. Any idea on how much it can pull, 10,000, 12,000#?? or other.

PS - Tengo amigos en Chile y toda mi familia en Argentina! Saludos!!

davegonz

Explorer
Is the air filter the oil-bath type? My 1979-80 Chilean FJ40 came with one. I've been trying to find a normal one to swap it out with, but no luck. All the ones that I've seen were the smog type with all of the vacuum ports on it.

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
I will check it out this weekend Dave. truck has been in the shop to pass emissions and the 80 has had some issues lately that I had to resolve before turning my focus to the 40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998