Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

Zeep

Adventurer
I've got two different designs for them, I haven't decided which one I'll go with yet.

In both cases they'd be optional, separately molded pieces that would be bonded to the inside wall of the tub side panel. One of the designs has them made entirely of fiberglass; the other design has a fiberglass base the gets bonded to the inside tub wall that forms a mounting point for a bolt-on metal stake pocket.

Excellent!:clapsmile

Your fab skills are amazing.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was looking at a photo of a Horizon trailer today...

HorizonTrailer.jpg

... and I came up with a new concept for using the same trailer tub kit molds to build an expedition trailer. I've seen a few off-road expedition trailers like the Horizon that have a lot of storage, and a tent platform on top. I've designed a tent platform for the trailer kit already and I've posted this trailer concept before:

TentTrailer1-1.jpg

But then I was thinking, what if you could raise the sides to provide a lot more storage, and also use the additional space inside the tub for a pull-out kitchen?

The concept here is to use a second set of side/end panels, and "stack" them on top of the base tub. The base tub would contain a slide-out kitchen unit in the back, and storage in the front. The stacked unit would contain swing down hatches covering storage compartments; the hatches would be off-the-shelf marine waterproof hatches. They would swing down so they could also be used as tables.

TrailTrailer1.jpg

The hard tonneau/tent platform would mount on top of the "stacked" unit, and provide a tent platform.

The kitchen pull-out could be built something like this:

IMG_0885.jpg

Best of all no new molds would be required, the additional height of the side panels would be an extra set of tub parts stacked on top of the base tub.

Just an idea, yet another way the trailer kit parts could be DIY-assembled into something cool.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've started making the molds for the tub parts; here are some photos of the first two molds. All I've done to these so far is popped them off the masters and trimmed the razor-sharp edges so I don't cut myself; I haven't cleaned the mold release or clay off them yet - other than the trimmed edges, these are just as they popped off the masters.

The tub end panel with the tailgate opening:

TailgateEndPanelMold1.jpg

TailgateEndPanelMold2.jpg

And the tailgate inner skin:

TailgateInnerMold1.jpg

The mold surfaces came out flawless, so the parts made in these molds should very high quality.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Looking good, very nice!!

You should be posting in the trailer section; I'm sure many non-Jeepers would be interested as well!!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looking good, very nice!!
Thanks!

You should be posting in the trailer section; I'm sure many non-Jeepers would be interested as well!!
Because I'm making the tub look exactly like a Jeep tub, I started the thread here, figuring that not many non-Jeepers would really want a Jeep-looking trailer tub. But if you think non-Jeepers might be interested, maybe I should post a link to this thread over in the trailer section.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Very very impressed with your project!

Wish I would of known of your 'Jeep' trailer kit project about three weeks ago, because I recently ordered a reproduction WWII Bantam T-3 Military 1/4 ton, 4'x6' tub and frame.
FWIW my project will cost when completed, in the low $3K range, for a basic military trailer similar to a M416, with a Starboard top, Dexter 3.5k lbs axle, and 18" custom wheels.

If your kit was available in a 4'x6' tub and I would of been satisfied that a fiberglass separate panel tub was sturdy enough for back-roads pounding , I would of seriously considered purchasing it instead and had a custom frame and axle set-up fabricated.

USA_AUST_BANTAMb.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Very very impressed with your project!

Wish I would of known of your 'Jeep' trailer kit project about three weeks ago, because I recently ordered a reproduction WWII Bantam T-3 Military 1/4 ton, 4'x6' tub and frame.
FWIW my project will cost when completed, in the low $3K range, for a basic military trailer similar to a M416, with a Starboard top, Dexter 3.5k lbs axle, and 18" custom wheels.

If your kit was available in a 4'x6' tub and I would of been satisfied that a fiberglass separate panel tub was sturdy enough for back-roads pounding , I would of seriously considered purchasing it instead and had a custom frame and axle set-up fabricated.

Thanks.

My goal is that an off-road capable version of this trailer design could be built for about half of the number you mentioned; an on-road version I would hope could be DIY-assembled for less than $1000 using a Harbor Freight frame. I also would think that if this comes to market, it could be available in 4', 6', 7'5" and 8' versions.

schnutzy

Observer
Thanks.

My goal is that an off-road capable version of this trailer design could be built for about half of the number you mentioned; an on-road version I would hope could be DIY-assembled for less than $1000 using a Harbor Freight frame. I also would think that if this comes to market, it could be available in 4', 6', 7'5" and 8' versions.

i like this number :wings:
i wonder how this would look behind my montero....

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If your kit was available in a 4'x6' tub and I would of been satisfied that a fiberglass separate panel tub was sturdy enough for back-roads pounding...

The construction and assembly details are the same as with my "separate panel" (modular) Safari Cab hardtop, which did very well with offroad pounding at Moab this year :).

TheWall1.jpg

kvincent

I bet we could easily get a Group Buy together with any of the custom off road trailer builders to build a simple, straight forward chassis for this project. Unlike the HF, it could be heavy duty, off road worthy trailer that could take 35" tires. I bet it wouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars more than the HF. I know I'm in, how about you?

Kerry

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I bet we could easily get a Group Buy together with any of the custom off road trailer builders to build a simple, straight forward chassis for this project. Unlike the HF, it could be heavy duty, off road worthy trailer that could take 35" tires. I bet it wouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars more than the HF. I know I'm in, how about you?

Kerry

If you've got a welder, here's a strategy for building a trailer frame that would be good for off-road use...

In post 25 of this thread I showed how I plan to modify heavy duty HF trailer frame down to 4x4 for use under my proof-of-concept trailer, which I would recommend for nothing more challenging than an improved trail. The steel in the frame is of a gauge sufficient for off-road use, but the bolt-together construction wouldn't be a good idea off-road. Also, the axle and springs are a little light weight to handle large tires off road.

Here's what could be done to turn that into an off-road capable frame:

1. Assemble the HF heavy duty trailer frame as shown in post 25 including the extra crossmembers and extra tongue member, but weld all the joints together. Do not install the axle or springs. $320 on sale plus discount coupon.

2. Get a 3500-lb. capacity axle of the proper track width. $100 from a source like KMT Service Parts. http://kmtparts.com/axles-spring-mo...000lb-torflex-axle-eb-ez-lube-655-4-drop.html. Or, since you've got a welder, buy a pair of hubs from Tractor Supply or Northern Tool and some steel for an axle tube and weld up your own (although that may end up costing more than the KMT axle).

3. Get some 1750-lb. (each) capacity springs, plus spring hangers/shackles from either Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. Weld the spring hardware to the frame and bolt up the axle. ($80).

4. So far, the total is $500 (a little less than a $200 upgrade from the base HF trailer). Sell the 5.30x12 wheels/tires from the HF kit on Craigslist, hope for maybe $50, so now we're at $450. You might be able to sell the HF axle/springs as well.

5. Bolt up your favorite wheels and tires. You might also consider a coupler with more articulation, depending on the type of terrain you plan to tow through.

I suppose you might be able to build a frame from scratch for the same price or maybe less, but doing it this way is pretty quick and easy - all the metal is cut, and the kit comes with lighting and a coupler, just weld the parts together.

Here's the photo from post 25 showing the modifications I'm planning to make; see that post for a description.

HF4x4Frame1.jpg

Disclaimer: any applicable taxes and shipping isn't included in the numbers above.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Speaking of frames... here's the info on the frame I built for the yellow trailer.

Since my yellow tub is made from steel Jeep tubs, I made the frame the proper width to support the stock tub body mounts. I used a Wrangler crossmember at the back of the frame (which has mount holes in it), and I welded standard type Jeep body mount brackets to the front. Not shown in this photo, because I bolted them on after the photo was taken, are a pair of mounts in the middle of the frame supporting the middle of the tub.

FrameDimensions.jpg

The fiberglass tubs will not use stock Jeep body mounts to mount to the frame, so the frame width isn't as important for those tubs. Any width frame that allows you to have an axle with a track width that looks right when the tires are mounted is fine.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's the side panel mold, I just popped it off the master. Like the molds I showed yesterday, this is just as it came off the master, except that I've trimmed the flanges to remove the razor-sharp fiberglass edges; I haven't cleaned off the mold release or clay remnants yet.

SidePanelMold1.jpg

This mold is 8' long, so the longest trailer tub that can be made would be 8' 7" (the end panels are 3.5" each). To make shorter side panels, dams will be placed in the mold. Here's a photo showing two dams in place - with these dams in the location you see them in the photo, two shorter side panels can be made at the same time.

SidePanelDams1.jpg

SidePanelDams2.jpg

The dams can be placed anywhere along the length of the mold, so any length side panel up to 8' can be made.

This is how I'll make the side panels for my proof-of-concept trailer build, which will have a tub about 52" long.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan