Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I hope that whoever builds these tubs, will also scale down the top to fit the tub. With a hinge system, it would make a nice hardtop enclosed trailer. ;) (hint)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...

do you mean a version of this that's the right length for the shorter tub?

CamperShow4.jpg

or do you mean a version of just the roof that is set up as a hard tonneau?

HalfCabTop.jpg

RareSS

Yes sir, a hard tonneau cover on the short tub.
I could settle for a short tub with the hard cover and a 8' camping style trailer both. ;)

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The roof top tent has arrived! It's very impressive, sets up quickly and easily, very high quality. While I study it to design a mount for the trailer, I've got it set up in the house:

RTTFr1.jpg

RTTFr2.jpg

RTTFr3.jpg

There's plenty of room for a 6' 6" person and a companion to get comfortable. Two people can also comfortably sit up in it.

RTTFr4.jpg

This is going to be amazing on top of the trailer!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looking at the details of the roof top tent that's in the family room, I think I may mount it like this. This way, the camper would be self-contained, no need to have extra legs going to the ground to support a tent that opens up to the side or back. The support for the open front half would be to the tongue of the trailer, and that support would double as a ladder. I've also shown the rear stabilizer jacks, that will mount in the short receivers I bolted to the corners of the frame.

RTTMounting1.jpg

I'm also thinking I should replace the wheel on the front jack with a solid foot for more stability - anyone have experience with that or will a wheel be fine?

The only drawback to this method of mounting is that the front ladder on the tongue will get in the way of the tailgate opening all the way, so when the tent is open, it will be most convenient to have the trailer unhitched. If people think that's too inconvenient, the options are to open the trailer out the back, which limits access through the tailgate a bit, or off the side, which means the ladder will serve as a leg to the ground.

Thoughts?

PS: It isn't obvious from my quickly hacked together tent drawing, but access to the inside of this tent is through the ends, the sides are just fixed screens.

Last edited:

RareSS

As an idea....
Wherever you put your tent opening, have your ladder attached to the top, in a hinged fashion. It would fold up for storing and not have to worry about where to pack it and it could be used to add some stability and support.

bdosborn

Will the tent block access to the tongue box when its open? I guess that wouldn't be that big of a deal if it did.

Bruce

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Will the tent block access to the tongue box when its open? I guess that wouldn't be that big of a deal if it did.

Bruce

No more than these do: http://www.tentrax.com/index.html :). Sorry, couldn't resist.

The tongue box I have on the trailer now is somewhat low, so there would be access to it with the tent open, although it would be a little limited and awkward.

I've been getting a lot of feedback today over on JF, the sentiment there is to mount the tent so if opens off to the side, so now I'm considering doing that instead.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
As an idea....
Wherever you put your tent opening, have your ladder attached to the top, in a hinged fashion. It would fold up for storing and not have to worry about where to pack it and it could be used to add some stability and support.

I was planning on using the ladder brackets that come with the tent, I believe that allow the ladder to hinge over and lay on the top when the tent is closed.

RareSS

I was planning on using the ladder brackets that come with the tent, I believe that allow the ladder to hinge over and lay on the top when the tent is closed.
I am lost ......
This is a tent made for a rooftop and not 'just a tent'? I know my (ground) tent did not come with a ladder. :) I understand what you are dealing with now. ;)
Okay, I will shut up and just read from now on . :/

Dirtytires

Explorer
I just read all 28 pages of this build and I am in love. I don't have a Jeep,but I love this build. Your work is AWESOME.

This build makes me want to go out and buy me a frame and throw the tub on it and go camping.. God bless you .

Craig

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I am lost ......
This is a tent made for a rooftop and not 'just a tent'? I know my (ground) tent did not come with a ladder. :) I understand what you are dealing with now. ;)
Okay, I will shut up and just read from now on . :/

Yes, this is an actual roof-top tent. It's got a folding platform that attaches to the rack on the top of the

vehicle/trailer, and comes with a ladder so you can get up there.

I originally designed a platform on the trailer to accept a ground tent, and that platform could still be built, but since I was sent a really nice RTT to play with, that's what I'm using at the moment.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's how the crowd over on JF is telling me to mount the tent - opening off the passenger side:

RTTMounting2.jpg

RareSS

I like this last rendition that you have presented. :)
I haven't figured out to attach a picture from my photobucket account to here, but here is the links to my little motorcycle camper that I use when riding my Wing. This one and your design are somewhat alike in presentation and it mimics the 'Livin Lite' and 'Jeep Brand' trailer. Mine makes into a queen sized bed. The trailer is 40x60 and folds out to 80x60.

Panhandletrip022.jpg

roadtrips004.jpg

schnutzy

Observer
I like this last rendition that you have presented. :)
I haven't figured out to attach a picture from my photobucket account to here, but here is the links to my little motorcycle camper that I use when riding my Wing. This one and your design are somewhat alike in presentation and it mimics the 'Livin Lite' and 'Jeep Brand' trailer. Mine makes into a queen sized bed. The trailer is 40x60 and folds out to 80x60.

Panhandletrip022.jpg

roadtrips004.jpg

ok, that is awesome, and while i will not have a need like that in the near future, i would love to know where i can find out more info on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears