Bombardier VW iltis

rezdiver

Adventurer
Poor mans methanol / water injection

Poor mans Methanol / water injection:

all for under 25 dollars from scrap stuff lying around.

Intake manifold drilled for the injection nozzle.
The nozzle and holder is from an oil furnace burner.

found a 3 liter high pressure tank and made a little manifold.with a quick connect. i fill the tank about 3/4 full with water or methanol mix, put the valve back on.
i have a schrader valve hooked up to the manifold and can pump air into the tank from my compressor, CO2 tank, or any gas station air, i usually fill up past 120 or as much as the compressor can pump out.
the air pressure in the tank forces the methanol to the nozzle for a good spray. the pressure lasts quite a while if i dont fill the cylinder more than 3/4 full. i close the valve off when the pressure drops to less than 50 psi. seems to work well.
I just manually turn on the valve when i am on the highway or under higher boost.

Attachments

• 1 Intake elbow drilled for oil burner nozzle.jpg
    1 Intake elbow drilled for oil burner nozzle.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2 elbow with oil burner nozzle.jpg
    2 elbow with oil burner nozzle.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 3 Intake elbow.jpg
    3 Intake elbow.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 4 Intake elbow.jpg
    4 Intake elbow.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 5 elbow mounted.jpg
    5 elbow mounted.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 6 cylinder.jpg
    6 cylinder.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 7 Manifold.jpg
    7 Manifold.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 8 cylinder beside seat.jpg
    8 cylinder beside seat.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 5
I am new to the forum. I have an '85 that I bought for hunting, but have been using to travel to work instead of a one ton diesel.

How are you guys doing these winches on a 24 volt system?

And

Anyone know of a trailer available?

rezdiver

Adventurer
welcome to the forum.
for the winch when i am running it from 24v i run 12 volts to the switch to actuate the coil of the solenoids and let 24 volts through the main contacts. the motor seems to be holding out so far. running 24v in a 12v winch will give you a much faster line speed and if you stall the winch you will be drawing way more current than it was designed for so be aware of that. you may burn out the motor.

I can also run mine from 12volts. I have tapped into the battery system and draw 12volts from the second battery to ground. I have a battery equalizer installed to maintain the batteries. if you dont have a battery equalizer you will very likely damage the batteries as the first battery will overcharge and the second will undercharge.

another option you have is to install a third battery and isolate it with a solenoid or isolator to the existing 12v side of your setup. this way you will only use the dedicated third battery for winching.

as for a trailer, I have not seen one for a while, they do come up on kijiji in alberta from time to time. they are mostly available out toronto and further east at a more reasonable price.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Trailers are getting harder to find. I know of a nice one with a well done tailgate mod for sale near Prince George for $1400.

As far as winches go, you can get nearly any winch in a 24V version and if you want to modify a winch you already have Amperage Technologies in Calgary are really helpful have have 24V motors and solenoids to suit any application. All that being said a plain old 12V 8274 will run for many years connected to 24 Volts.

WANTED: VW Bombardier Iltis 183

Hello All;
I, like most of you, are impressed with the Iltis 183. I would like to obtain one and register it in California. I know nothing about how that can or could happen. Any assistance is greatly appreciated concerning buying one and importing the vehicle to the US.
Thanks,
Skip
Sugarloaf, Ca. USA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12