Boom. The 2017 Ford Raptor has landed.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I am not sure of the confusion, I consider most 4x4 trucks such as the Toyota as being capable off-road vehicles. I think the point about the Raptor is Ford has taken it to a awesome level(for being a production truck). I drive a Jeep which is very capable, I also have my Superduty which does ok. With that said, my Superduty is no comparison to a Raptor even though they are both Offroad trucks. I think it is more that Ford built a truck that made it apples to oranges, there all offroad trucks.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
man this sidetracked quickly...I could argue that anyone who makes something with 4wd has an off road truck. its amazing how spoiled we've become...

at this point, you can buy any post ~04 used 4x4 truck (in brand, size and configuration of your preference) for $10-15k, throw a few grand in suspension, tires and traction adders at it and have something pretty close to a stock Raptor. You just gotta be ok with being a baller on a budget.

like it or not, turbos are the future. ~40% of every drop of fuel you burn is wasted as heat energy, why not turn some of that into free, load sensitive power?? compared with all the variable valve timing and lift, 1000+ psi direct injection, and multi-displacement tech nowadays, turbos are old school, simple and highly proven tech. the EPA has indirectly mandated that the replacement for displacement will invariably be better tech. last I checked you can still buy big old dumb trucks with big blocks for $1-2000 on craigslist if thats your thing, and if i could throw a turbo on my 460...i would! :sombrero:

libarata

Expedition Leader
man this sidetracked quickly...I could argue that anyone who makes something with 4wd has an off road truck. its amazing how spoiled we've become...

at this point, you can buy any post ~04 used 4x4 truck (in brand, size and configuration of your preference) for $10-15k, throw a few grand in suspension, tires and traction adders at it and have something pretty close to a stock Raptor. You just gotta be ok with being a baller on a budget.

like it or not, turbos are the future. ~40% of every drop of fuel you burn is wasted as heat energy, why not turn some of that into free, load sensitive power?? compared with all the variable valve timing and lift, 1000+ psi direct injection, and multi-displacement tech nowadays, turbos are old school, simple and highly proven tech. the EPA has indirectly mandated that the replacement for displacement will invariably be better tech. last I checked you can still buy big old dumb trucks with big blocks for $1-2000 on craigslist if thats your thing, and if i could throw a turbo on my 460...i would! :sombrero:

Do it!

Big50

Adventurer
I think what everyone is missing here is that Ford is the only company that has even attempted to create something with the off road crowd in mind. Dodge doesn't, GM doesn't (I am the body shop manager at a GMC delaership) Toyota slaps a TRD sticker on everything from a Camry on up. Instead of getting into an argument about the semantics of the truck, I think a kudos needs to go out to Ford for at least trying to put something out there for the off road crowd. Secondly, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of people on expo portal don't, won't or can't throw down $60000 for one of these trucks to use as their build. To the guys out there that are dogging on it, buy one and give us an in depth review of what it really is like, until then quit flaming about it.

Rant over.

I don't dislike the new Raptor. I think it has it's benefits and what I feel are downsides. For me, I'd rather keep my big v8, current styling, and 6 speed tranny.

The Raptor is a status symbol, just as TRD, Nismo/Pro-4X, and whatever GM uses.

You can say that about any truck. Raptor does not fit into the same category because it isn't just shocks. It's a big motor, increased travel, offroad mode (desensitizes abs, and engages locker to 100MPH). Not all these are a big deal compared to a purpose built prerunner but compared to the trucks you listed, they are significant.

The Fox shocks on the Raptor are fairly entry level compared to what else they have. They have versions that are loads better.

The Billies on the TRD Pro aren't the best either. I wouldn't buy either the Yota or the Ford...you can do much better with after market, if you're truly looking for performance...than trying to look hawt in the Starbucks parking lot. :ylsmoke:

For $60K...you can build truck that will put the Raptor to shame.

Agree with you on shocks. However, what I appreciate about the Raptor (which most people miss) is how well rounded it is. Is it a Longtravel prerunner? NO. But i can book across the desert at speeds which justify putting in a cage, comfortably transport 5 adults on long trips plus their gear, and tow my 6000lb travel trailer.

I get why most people hate on the Raptor. A lot of Raptor owners have little to no off-road experience and walk around like the Raptor is the end all be all of offroading. That ignorant attitude pisses a lot of people off.

Clutch

<---Pass
Agree with you on shocks. However, what I appreciate about the Raptor (which most people miss) is how well rounded it is. Is it a Longtravel prerunner? NO. But i can book across the desert at speeds which justify putting in a cage, comfortably transport 5 adults on long trips plus their gear, and tow my 6000lb travel trailer.

I get why most people hate on the Raptor. A lot of Raptor owners have little to no off-road experience and walk around like the Raptor is the end all be all of offroading. That ignorant attitude pisses a lot of people off.

I like the Raptor...think it is the best looking upcoming truck right now.

Though, I don't give crap what people think about my rides, I only buy what I like...kinda funny when people get all worked up over it.

I dunno fellas...if it has tits or wheels it is gonna give ya trouble eventually! :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I don't thing it's fair to compare a Raptor to a rattle can race truck or a prerunner that requires ear plugs to drive. Driving the Raptor down a bumpy dirty back road, is like driving a Mercedes Benz on regular roads. Impressive machine. I wouldn't bother driving a Mercedes at a Mid Ohio track day, or at VIR either.

As for the shocks and aftermarket comparison stuff, that really doesn't apply. Don't need the higher end Fox shocks. With suspension that capable, the rest of the truck would fall apart if those better shocks were used to their limits. Fix that problem, and the problem that pops up after that one, and eventually you have a rattle can prerunner junk box. That's not what the Raptor should be. The Raptor should be what it is. Build prerunners out of cheaper, more spartan trucks. Every modified Raptor I've driven (3) was a bit worse off than stock. IMO, they should have built up another truck and left their Raptor alone.

Clutch

<---Pass
Who is comparing the Raptor to race trucks?

The F2000 vid was aimed at Sooper Duty...as in "hey man, look at this bad ******** twin turbo 460"

crackerjack

Observer
what i'm curious about the 2017 raptor is being that ford dropped 500 pounds of weight using aluminum panels, have they increased the payload capacity by 500 lbs?

i think if the payload capacity does increase this makes the raptor a very interesting overland/exploration option, albeit an expensive one. 35's, low end torque, locking rear diff, tons of power and fox 3.0 suspension, whats not to like. throw a rtt over the bed, add some oba and maybe a winch and it sounds like a VERY EXPENSIVE win.

Kaisen

Explorer
...throw a rtt over the bed, add some oba and maybe a winch and it sounds like a VERY EXPENSIVE win.

Or buy a Tacoma, replace everything with cool aftermarket parts, still have less power and get worse fuel economy in a smaller truck, and still spend MORE overall.... yet there are dozens of those "Expedition Tactical Grade" rigs all over build threads a couple forums up

TwinStick

Explorer
This truck is not going to be for everybody, plain and simple. debating about it is pointless. The fact of the matter is when this 2nd Gen becomes available, Ford will sell a ******** load of them regardless because the demand is already there. Current Raptor owners will upgrade when they see they can probably double there range with the eco, and some Ecoboost owners will move over when they can keep the motor they like and get a "True" off-road package.

People who love jeeps or power wagons are going to buy jeeps and power wagons. I'm sure we can all find hundreds of post about problems and issues with jeeps over the years that could make your eyes bleed, but jeeps still sell like hot cakes. Raptors will too, especially on limited supply.

Say what you want about the Ecoboost motor, but it is powerful given it's displacement, and I personally prefer it over anything else offered today. But that's my personal preference and you couldn't sway me otherwise.

This cetainly goes for Power Wagons as well. I had to rebuild my entire front end at 18k. My dealer kept insisting that there was nothing wrong---even though i couldn't keep it in my lane when towing the camper. :Wow1: $4850 in parts & labor & it is now fine. Drives fine, tows fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78