Boring Econoline Stuff: Seat Belts and Glove Boxes

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
My E-450 based camper has no glove box. What are you guys with econolines doing for that? Now I have a visor folder but want more space for tire warranty and battery warranty etc.

Also, my belt reels are floppy. Is this a rebuild thing, replace? How hard you s it?

86scotty

Cynic
Are you meaning the center console mounted to the doghouse? No E series/Econoline has ever had a typical glove box (forward of passenger seat).

What year is your rig? You can upgrade older door panels to newer and get a lot more cubbies and storage in the doors. Also, you can build an overhead console.

eporter

Adventurer
A lot of times belts don’t retract that well because of oil and dirt making the belt stiff from where it’s been worn. Pull belt all the way out, clamp off so it can’t retract, soak in cleaning bowl, scrub, repeat, dry. It can really bring them back to life sometimes.

Raul

Adventurer
Pre-2009 there were no glove box. after that there is a little one under the passenger airbag. There are several versions of the center console some may fit your requirements.

Depending of the years, sun, sweat and dirt exposure the webbing can become stiff. A good soaking and cleaning can help. In my case they were quite rough even after cleaning them they will mess up all my shirts. Changing them is not too expensive. I paid $100 for the passenger and $130 for the driver on eBay ( Roesch Ford, they even check VIN compatibility). You may try contacting directly: ramiromichel@roeschford.com.

iggi

Ian
I was pretty surprised myself as I'd been looking at slightly older ones (all without glove boxes) Not sure what year they were added.

I stand corrected. I did not know this. I've had and been around a ton of Econolines but never noticed that about the new ones.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Pre-2009 there were no glove box. after that there is a little one under the passenger airbag. There are several versions of the center console some may fit your requirements.

Depending of the years, sun, sweat and dirt exposure the webbing can become stiff. A good soaking and cleaning can help. In my case they were quite rough even after cleaning them they will mess up all my shirts. Changing them is not too expensive. I paid $100 for the passenger and $130 for the driver on eBay ( Roesch Ford, they even check VIN compatibility). You may try contacting directly: ramiromichel@roeschford.com.
Awesome, thanks.

I’ll try the cleaning and if that doesn’t work I’ll look these guys up on eBay.

Regarding storage, it looks like there aren’t awesome answers, I’ll just have to figure out a good spot that I don’t forget about and later create another good spot.

motovan_mn

Awesome, thanks.

I’ll try the cleaning and if that doesn’t work I’ll look these guys up on eBay.

Regarding storage, it looks like there aren’t awesome answers, I’ll just have to figure out a good spot that I don’t forget about and later create another good spot.

FYI even the post-2009 gloveboxes are very small. There's a dedicated slot for the original owners manual packet, and then a tiny storage area that is basically a flat platform with no lip, meaning you can't toss a bunch of junk in there like I tend to do.

Binky

Perhaps some sort of under-seat storage? If you don't have swivel bases, there's a lot of space there.
My old Astro had a pullout cubby. Large enough to accumulate junk. Maybe something like that is adaptable.

I got lucky and found some late door cards for Binky. The unfortunate downside of the door cards is that you can't rest your foot down there on long trips.
This was originally pointed out to me by Shenrie and I have found it to be true.

I kinda like the overhead console idea for documents.

Raul

Adventurer
My 2000 Chateau had a drawer on the passenger seat that open to the left. It was nice and almost "secret". I didn't take that base to my 2010 as I got swivel seat.

MadMax321

my 2002 has that same drawer under the passenger seat. Maybe head to the junkyard and see if any of them have one....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998