Bought a Van...

williard86

Observer
So I bought a 2000 e350 passenger van. 95k miles on it. Good condition.
I've started stripping the back and have run into a snag. I'm not sure what to do with teh rear ac.
I want to replace the headliner with insulation and wood paneling so my thought was just build a vent in the rear pillar for a single vent for the living area. The rear heat doesn't seem to be working, though.

My other thought was just pull it out and not have the rear ac anymore. Would this be a dumb idea? Do any of you guy regret not having a rear ac/heat ? Anybody remove theirs?

Thanks!

flightcancled

Explorer
It will be more than worth the investment in time now when you need it later.

Did you check the steel lines to the rear? They tend to rust away and leak causing the rear units to stop working. replacing the lines with hose is a quick solution

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
A single vent in the rear will be more efficient than the headliner. I'd keep the rear air/ac though. Comes in handy sometimes.

williard86

Observer
I'll have to check the lines. I don't remember seeing anything corroded. Did all of the passenger have rear AC and heat?

350outrage

Adventurer
I had an old Dodge van with no rear heat/AC once: It would COOK the driver and frt seat pass while literally FRIGID in the rear. It was a passenger van, so I know it had some insulation. Fix and keep the rear unit, you'll be glad you did.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I wish I had rear heat and AC. I would suggest keeping it even if it costs some money to refurbish it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle