Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
What rack are you doing Adam? Aftermarket (AAE) or a re-man? Do you have the Energy Suspension bushings as well?

Box Rocket

What rack are you doing Adam? Aftermarket (AAE) or a re-man? Do you have the Energy Suspension bushings as well?

I'm going to try the rack from Safari LTD. It's a new unit with a few upgrades and has a 2yr warranty vs the 1 yr on most reman's. I have already replaced the rack bushings, helped quite a bit. UCE really worked the rack and it's been leaking. Last time I had an alignment the inner tie rods were a little loose. Was still able to get it to specs but with the leaking I figured it was a good time to replace the rack. That takes care of the inners and I called Brad in Bountiful and got the outer tie rods.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Cool, I'll be interested to hear how you like it. I've heard great reviews about the AAE from RockAuto, supposedly they upgrade the internals as well. Ibhave a fewn big tire local Tacoma owners running them with great results. Knock on wood my OEM reman is holding up nicely, can't say the same for the first OEM reman, it couldn't be aligned 5 minutes after I finished the install.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Phase 1 of front end refresh is complete. I needed to swap out a bad CV. Really it was just a torn boot but I drove with it torn for almost 2 years and it finally started making a little noise so I swapped it out a couple nights ago.

finally, was testing out some new traction aids prior to a club snow run tomorrow.

Box Rocket

Traction mod worked great! I'm a convert to chains in the snow.

had a good club run yesterday. I dig this pic of Cruiser Outfitters FJ40. Such a cool rig.

Cool DC with Flippac on the run with us.

Ironmoose 4x4's super sexy FJ55.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Looks like my kind of a good time!

I've always been an advocate of tire chains. Now especially so because I run pizza cutters. They greatly increase traction and control. But anybody behind you not running chains is gonna hate you!

Box Rocket

Steering rack finally shipped today after being on backorder. I'm looking forward to getting the steering tightened back up.

I pulled the wheels/tires back off the cruiser (since the cruiser is in semi-retirement mode for a little while) and put them on the Tacoma to prolong the life of my MTR's. I'm shocked that I've put almost 30K miles on the MTR's this year! They've been really good tires for my needs. A bit noisey, and flat out lousy on icy roads, but otherwise I've really liked them. I need them to last through one more wheeling season. So I busted out the paint and painted the FZJ80 wheels as this has been on my list to do for while. Used Graphite colored VHT wheel paint, 4 coats of paint, 3 coats of clear. Fortunately the 35s work ok on the Tacoma for normal driving. I couldn't use them offroad because of the rubbing but they don't rub during normal street driving. I'll use these on the roads and save the MTRs or trail runs to get me through next fall hopefully.

Painted 80 wheels

315 75R16 BFG ATs with ~3" lift + 1" BL.

01tundra

Explorer
Steering rack finally shipped today after being on backorder. I'm looking forward to getting the steering tightened back up.

I'm guessing you already did the slip joint tack weld mod on the steering shaft? It made a huge difference on tightening up my steering.

pwr2lbs

Observer
I'm guessing you already did the slip joint tack weld mod on the steering shaft? It made a huge difference on tightening up my steering.

I hate that noise from the steering column, sounds like a dodgy ball joint. I still need to do mine.

Box Rocket

Is there a build thread on the fj40 here on Expo?
No there is not. Sorry. There is info and pics about my 40 on IH8MUD and Pirate4x4 if you search under my username boxrocket. The 40 has been gone for almost 10 years now.....crazy.

I haven't done the tack weld yet, but I plan on doing it as part of the steering refresh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman