Brackets too small for roof rack bars?

Colorblind729

So what's the play here? A trip to the hardware store to get longer bars?

Or should a RTT be mounted to these "aero" bars differently than the others?

IMG_0779.jpg

Just making sure I mount this up right!

Thanks

Colorblind729

Figured as much. Theres a channel in the aluminum of the rack bars and was questioning whether those were to be used similar to the way the nuts that attach to the RTT channel.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I had some extra bars and used them to mount my axe. Turns out those bars are very difficult to drill. We had to use a Bridgeport to get through them.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Those look like they are for the Rhino Rack HD bars. I just mounted the awning brackets onto my HD bars and the hardware looks very similar. The HD bars are square and the little metal pieces actually fit inside the bar.

Colorblind729

They would have worked fine for either the round yakima bars, the square Thule bars or the HD Rhino rack square bars. I have the Rhino Rack HD Vortex bars. . . supposedly quieter than the square ones, and slightly wider than the brackets that came with the tent!

Stopped at the hardware store and they didn't have any precut bar stock that would work as a replacement, so I picked up a piece of aluminum bar stock to cut down and drill. Should aluminum be fine, or should I go with the raw steel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman