Brake Pedal circuit for Brake Controller...

jsmoriss

Explorer
Hi everyone,

I'm installing a brake controller, and need to tap into the brake pedal circuit to activate the controller. I was thinking of using the white w/ brown stripe wire going to the 3rd brake light. It doesn't flash when turning or the hazards are on, and doesn't get any power when the parking lights are on, so it sounded like a good candidate to me. What do you think? Is there something better?

Thanks,
js.

Signcutter21

Adventurer
JS,
I'm in the same boat this weekend too w/ the brake controller. I was researching it for the Liberty and from what i've found out, if there is a tow package there's a tagged blue wire in the wiring harness assembly. If not, people were saying to use the white w/ brown stripe one.

Not sure which model Jeep you have, but that info might help. *grumble grumble* Dumb jeep for not having an easy plug n play harness. lol.

later,
mike

jsmoriss

Explorer
Mike,

I have a JK (2007 Wrangler) and bought the Mopar 7-pin harness. It has the blue wire (controller -> trailer) for the brake controller, but what I need is a wire to tell the brake controller that I've stepped on the brake.

I mounted the controller and ran the wires down the driver's side, but after checking the harness down that side, it appears the white w/ brown stripe wire runs down the passenger side. :) Unless someone has a better idea, I'll tap into the white w/ brown stripe wire (3rd brake light).

js.

Jellosh0ts

A.K.A. RedJeep68
Hi, I'm prepping my '08 JK for the arrival of my AT Chaser next week then taking it from NY to Colorado. Anyway I installed the Mopar 7 pin harness today, and will tackle the prodigy brake controller this weekend. Any follow up on which wire to tap into for the activation circuit? Thanks

Tim

jsmoriss

Explorer
Hi, I'm prepping my '08 JK for the arrival of my AT Chaser next week then taking it from NY to Colorado. Anyway I installed the Mopar 7 pin harness today, and will tackle the prodigy brake controller this weekend. Any follow up on which wire to tap into for the activation circuit?

The third brake light wire is still an option, but you can also find one right above the brake pedal - or so I'm told. I still have to find it myself. :) According to James76 on JKForum: "look up directly above the brake pedal, the part you put your foot on. you will see a metal bracket with i think 2 switches on it...or maybe just one with 4 wires or so. there will be a white with brown in that plug."

js.

Jellosh0ts

A.K.A. RedJeep68
I ended up using the white / tan wire with my P3 controller and Mopar harness... Worked perfectly with my new AT Chaser which arrived today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12