Brakes question on a Trooper

Zaphod

Adventurer
My 2000 Trooper LS has 108K miles on it.

For a while now, I've noticed that the brakes seem to pulse when slowing down, particularly when going downhill. Interestingly, the brakes pulse faster the faster I'm going when I brake, and slow down as I do.

In fact, I suspect it's not the brakes pulsing at all. It almost feel like what I'd expect if my rotors weren't flat, and every time the wheel turned and the thicker portion would run through the brake, it would "bite" more. The faster you go, the faster the "pulsing".

An ideas what this could be? I had the brakes serviced not that long ago and all was well (so they said).

Man, I'm actually thinking of putting the old girl out to pasture soon and trading up to an FJ Cruiser. I'm not sure if I'll laugh or cry that day.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Let me know if you figure it out. I'm thinking the transmission maybe. Assume you have what I have, it is most noticeable at very slow speeds, like approaching a stop, but at that point the pulsing is too slow to be from the brakes.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
It is more than likely one of your rotors is warped. Get them changed and all will be well again.

Zaphod

Adventurer
Let me know if you figure it out. I'm thinking the transmission maybe. Assume you have what I have, it is most noticeable at very slow speeds, like approaching a stop, but at that point the pulsing is too slow to be from the brakes.

That's true, but I highly doubt the transmission has anything to do with it. As for what constitutes "very slow", it makes its appearance from circa 45 mph downwards, and I suspect that the only reason I don't feel anything above that is that the wheels are spinning to fast for me to notice it.

I'll most likely have the rotors checked as datruper suggested unless someone gives me a better idea. Sure has me scratching my head, though...

datrupr

Expedition Leader
My Nissan was doing this recently. I changed out the pads and rotors and the pulsing went away.

meathead

If your pads are in good shape, have the rotors turned. There are pins the caliper slides on; grease them. They are actualy the two long bolts you take out to remove the caliper. When they get dry they'll hang up. Shortly after that the piston will start to hang. Then your burnin up pads. Literaly.

If it's not rotors, balance the tires. I've had screwy wobbles from that too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman