Brandy's 2012 JKUR Build

DEnd

Observer
While most have switched to rope I am still an old die hard quality wire guy (more on this later).

I agree with you on this. Due to UV degredation of synthetic rope, and the fact that I use my winch maybe once a year (it's really been 3 years since I've used my winch at all), wire rope is my prefrence.

JPK

Explorer
I have the opposite view. If I used my winch more frequently I might favor wire for its ultimate abrasion resistance. But winch use is infrequent, and so abrasion degredation of the synthetic rope - it's worst enemy in my experience - is minimal. The longest I have had a synthetic rope on one of my Jeeps is four years, and when I sold the Jeep the rope was is great shape. Using the chafe gaurd on the last wraps keeps almost all of the sun off, and there are simple, easy to use sun gaurds available to, or make a velcro on version DIY.

In my experience, the removal of the ~35-40lbs of wire and steel roller fairlead weight off the very front of the Jeep leads to a better riding Jeep, and I drive a heck of a lot more than I winch.

JPK

JO3_H

The last few months have seen the addition of several new AEV products.

And last but not least... what I waited 6 months for... The new AEV 2.5" Dual Sport XT lift and control arm brackets. As good as it gets. The triple rate-springs coupled with the Bilstein shocks makes for an impressive ride. Running the tall but skinny 285x75x17's I have no rubbing at all. Even at the pinch seam.

View attachment 89645

View attachment 89646

View attachment 89647

Do you still have the wheel spacers on with the AEV lift?

James Pierce

Adventurer
Update

Had the pleasure of leading a group of overlanders through the Ozarks this past weekend. It was my first opportunity to take "Her" truck off road. We covered 168 scenic, yet challenging, miles. Here is a teaser with the new steel wheels. More pic's to follow.

535337_3325181489281_1260697505_32714772_2092740347_n.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
We should start a thread on the most Defender looking JK ;) love the white steelies, well done my friend!!

James Pierce

Adventurer
Was there any primitive camping or hiking trails? Where exactly was this place? Nice Jeep

Scott, We camped at Lake Dardanelle State Park the first night shown in the picture and primitive camped after we hit the trail. We were pushing it to make it through on the 3 day weekend so we didn't get to do any hiking however I did see plenty of opportunities. What part of Oklahoma are you from? I'm planning another tip for memorial day weekend.

We should start a thread on the most Defender looking JK ;) love the white steelies, well done my friend!!

Wait until you see the exo cage she wants. : ) I also have a machined plate to replace one of the front D rings with a Dixon Bates tow jaw.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Yeah, I love my AEV wheels, but I'd be inclined to really like these because they are very "generic" (I mean that in a good way) wolf looking.
If I got them, as much as I love white wheels and thing tan on tan (ala Dale's truck looks great), I'd probably get the AEV indestructible rattle can black texture armor paint and do them that way, so they can be easily touched up.
Did you special order these through Mopar ... or call around to scrap yards?
D

dugedug

Yeah, I love my AEV wheels, but I'd be inclined to really like these because they are very "generic" (I mean that in a good way) wolf looking.
If I got them, as much as I love white wheels and thing tan on tan (ala Dale's truck looks great), I'd probably get the AEV indestructible rattle can black texture armor paint and do them that way, so they can be easily touched up.
D

Not sure how Mr. Pierce got them but they are avaliable online in limited quantities. Also, you can get them through the dealer still. The 04766601AA part number is discontinued but the new part number is 04766601AD. Local dealer has them listed for $180 a pop though, almost twice as much as other online venders shipped. Didn't think about checking the local junk yards, I'm sure that would be a great source. I'm liking these better than the winter wheels on the Expedition West Overland JKUR.

James Pierce

Adventurer
Are the steel wheels powder coated, sprayed, or rattle canned?

I sandblasted them and then had them powder coated with a zinc rich primer and then top coated in white powder.

D

Dendy, Brandy prefers the term "utilitarian". I like them because the look like the wolfs : ) I had zero luck at salvage yards. Most send them to the recycler as there is not a demand. Sooo... I have an account with a OE supply warehouse which supplies dealers with genuine parts. Mine are new genuine pieces. I can get you as many as you want of the updated part # for $145/ea. For what I have in the wheels, sandblasting and powder coating I could have bought the AEV's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman