Breaker blowing, help.

taco007

Observer
I am a rookie when it comes to electrical so I thought I would post up my issue here for help. Thank you in advance....

I have a 4Runner with a Group 31 battery, running a Luna fridge and two LED lights in the rear of the vehicle. Power goes from the battery, through a 60A resettable circuit breaker, then on to a blue sea fuse box in the rear. The fridge comes off of the fuse box.

I am having intermittent issues with no power, which I remedy by resetting the circuit breaker near the battery. It seems to have a mind of it's own when power comes on, definitely a delay. No fuses are blown at the rear fuse box.

Any suggestions on how to track down the issue? I'm thinking my next move is to check continuity, but I don't know how I'm going to do that from the front to the rear.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
How is the Starter battery kept isolated from the House circuit when no charge source is active?

Do you have a DC ammeter?

Superduty

Adventurer
How is the Starter battery kept isolated from the House circuit when no charge source is active?

Do you have a DC ammeter?

Does he even have dual batteries?

Is there anything that you can think of that is triggering it?

If the fridge is unplugged does it still happen?

If the lights are unplugged does it still happen or not turned on?

If the truck just sits and doesn't run does it happen?

If it's intermittent it sounds like the main + wire is rubbing against ground and shorting every so often. The fact the fuses aren't blowing would seem to point to the problem being between the battery and the fuse block.

I would start off trying to visually inspect the full length of wire, particularly at connections.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Most likely place is wherever your hot wire passes through the firewall or body into the interior. Your breaker might be saving your truck from a car-b-que.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Disconnect the BS (capping the two wires) and see if the breaker trips. If it does the issue is in the front end of the system, if it doesn't the issue is from BS back. Further if it appears the issue is in front disconnect the out side at breaker and see if it trips it's self. Easy peazy

taco007

Observer
Hey all, thank you for the input. I was able to (hopefully) identify that it was a bad connection on the outlet side of the circuit breaker under the hood. Did a continuity test up to there and it was good. Still more testing to ensure this is the problem. Will report back after the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears

Members online