Bringing a car to Germany.

Not quite an overland question but I can't find an answer online.
I am considering visiting Germany in the next 1-2 years and would love to be able to bring my own car. I've read that you can have foreign vehicle in the Europe for up to 6 months but I can'f find any information regarding temporary registration or requirements. The car in question is originally Japanese, modified, and registered/titled in the USA. The purpose of the trip is for track days on the Nurburgring, Spa, and leisure travel. I have family in Belgium who I'd love to visit and who could store the car.
I've reached out to several importers and haven't found a clear answer. I'm not sure if it's possible or not.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Have a look here:

bottom line is that you can do it and it’s not overly difficult. 6 months limit.

Agreed. Keep in mind that laws and law enforcement on German roads is extremely strict! Make sure all your tires, accessories, noise of your exhaust is conform to the regulations. The chances of getting pulled over are high. In Germany, they won't let you drive "to the next shop for repairs" they make you call a tow truck etc. In bad cases they confiscate the vehicle to do a proper safety inspection.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Agreed. Keep in mind that laws and law enforcement on German roads is extremely strict! Make sure all your tires, accessories, noise of your exhaust is conform to the regulations. The chances of getting pulled over are high. In Germany, they won't let you drive "to the next shop for repairs" they make you call a tow truck etc. In bad cases they confiscate the vehicle to do a proper safety inspection.

You are not wrong, but it isn’t like the Polizei is out looking for this kind of thing…just make sure it’s not something obviously unsafe. You are more likely to get cited if you are pulled over for something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
You are not wrong, but it isn’t like the Polizei is out looking for this kind of thing…just make sure it’s not something obviously unsafe. You are more likely to get cited if you are pulled over for something else.

They are certainly not actively looking for you LOL . But a lowered, loud sports car will certainly be more likely to be pulled over than others. In North America the cops don't care about this stuff....

Thanks for the replies!
Are there companies that assist with sort of thing? A big concern is being cited if the vehicle does not conform to local standards/laws. It's def lowered and louder vs a stock car.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
They are certainly not actively looking for you LOL . But a lowered, loud sports car will certainly be more likely to be pulled over than others. In North America the cops don't care about this stuff....

This is Germany…lowered, loud sports cars are not rare.

Here is a good tips and tricks video: watch
Good tips! I know there are some luxuries we have in the USA, like turning at a stop sign and flushing toilet paper. But I didn't know you couldn't pass on the right over there! I've driven through Belgium, Netherlands, and France a long time ago. I don't recall if they have those same rules or if I adhered to them at that time.
Does anyone know of an import broker that could help with all logistics? It would be nice to find a person/company that is familiar with all the logistics and get "umbrella" services.

Good tips! I know there are some luxuries we have in the USA, like turning at a stop sign and flushing toilet paper. But I didn't know you couldn't pass on the right over there! I've driven through Belgium, Netherlands, and France a long time ago. I don't recall if they have those same rules or if I adhered to them at that time.
Does anyone know of an import broker that could help with all logistics? It would be nice to find a person/company that is familiar with all the logistics and get "umbrella" services.
Don’t need a customs broker, shipping with above is easy & painless, leave it registered at home. See my PM.
And people shouldn’t pass on the right ANYWHERE. Except RHD countries. And people should drive in the right lane as much as possible. It’s American driving habits that are weird and dangerous, not European.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I'm sure modified cars are common through out the world. And like many places, a car with foreign plates will attract more attention from police vs locally plated cars and more likely to be cited.

Sure…but understand that this is Europe, not the USA. Foreign plated cars are not rare either…seriously, you are over thinking this.

jmodz

Do you have to pass a German TUV to get the 6 month temp registration? If it does that could introduce a lot of issues, especially if it is modified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior