Broken Parts not gonna break my spirit

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
and the plans come to a screaching halt :)
Breaking News...
Broken Sway Bar link shreads CV boot and Rear Shock Explodes

Ok I went out fully loaded and ran a med trail ( I am not into rock crawling), I wanted something equal to the worst I would see on the Continental Divide Expedition.

Well here is the carnage list....
Passenger side sway bar link broke & tore CV boot
Drivers side All Pro Walker Evans shock shaft broke at lower mount and tore itself out of the shock body...I will try to post pics later today.

Results:
JP at www.expeditioneers.com who lives in a suburb of Phoenix had a set of OME rear shocks and they are now on my truck...gotta love on board air for running your tools!
Jay at Earhardt's Toyota (who I drive 35 miles to see) is air frieghting parts from Los Angeles and will start work on my FJ in the morning...
He figures the truck should be ready to go by noon...it will be packed, I will be waiting there and the family will be waiting at home to be picked up in route so we can hit the road the second it is ready!

Effects on departure plans & Las Vegas...
I was going to leave Sat between 7-8...
now I will leave as soon as the truck is ready...
Figure 5-6 hrs drive time will still allow me to meet everyone from the 702fjcrew for dinner at the Shelby Cafe by the Speedway at 7pm....

Everyone will be able to track my progress from my SPOT Share Page
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?&glId=0NEVchWM9lQSQbpf9TzybVZ53yRiRYcLU
or if that doesn't work go to www.disabledexplorers.com and check the link there to watch our travels.

Thanks for the understanding on eveyones part and please run the trail as planned and I will see you all the Shelby Cafe for dinner...

Contact info:
Lance Blair
602-451-6079
lance disabledexplorers com

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
Interesting, but the front sway bar mounts are a problem in 80 series as well. There are just little tack welds to hold the mount on to the axle. At Rubithon this year, at least one broke in our group, and the Colorado group broke at least 3. This is such a common problem, that we have devised a weld on upgrade. It is likely that the same is true in the Taco world.

What happened to the rear shock? Was it just defective? Did it get over compressed?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Breaking the sway bar link can happen when the sway bar "wanders" to one side, pushing the link into the coil of the front coilover. All Pro sells some clamp-on collars to replace the tiny factory collars on the sway bar.

Try running without the front swaybar if your front springs are stiff enough and the truck is not overloaded.

When you installed the new coilovers did you relocate the sway bar mounts a little further forward? My kit came with the parts to do that.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Hey, Lance!

To paraphrase (badly) an American hero, "Damn the sway bars and full speed ahead!"
Best of luck on your expedition...
I'll be watching the DE webpage for progress reports.

Ed
safari.gif

suntinez

Explorer
If there's anyone who can adapt/overcome - it's you! :sport_box Good luck, you've got a lot of good people in your corner.

Better now than on the road ... still hoping for Lima as of now, I'll be watching.:Astrologist:

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
HaHaHaHaHa...
That Murphy fella sure does raise hell with the best laid plans, Lance.
I finally finished the breakin miles on the new ring and pinion today. Jack is recovering nicely from the surgery to his leg last week. So, if Murphy allows...
I expect to get on the road Wednesday afternoon sometime so I should be able to meet you and Tibaal around Lima on Friday. Will post a Spot webpage here on Wednesday.
Buen Viaje,
BX

bluecruiser

I do not personally have a FJ cruiser but in Moab there was a guy with us that broke two Walker Evans shocks. (note to self: never buy Walker Evans)

Seems to be a problem to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan