BRX Expedition Trailer Roof Replacement

So I have a couple of updates...

I spoke with a guy at BRX this week and he is going to follow up with their shop manager to see what they can do to help. I'll post an update on that when he gets back to me, hopefully next week.

I got a ballpark quote to fix the roof from a local RV repair shop and it is $2,000 - $2,500. Most of the cost is labor.

I also pulled back some more of the exterior molding and the wood on the left side wall is rotted as well. I assume the right wall is the same.

At this point it looks like I am basically going to have to re-build the entire box. This is probably going to turn into a how-to rebuild your entire trailer thread.

Latest update - so it's been over 2 weeks since I talked to the guy at BRX. Despite following up a week later, he has not called back or replied to my e-mail. So that's that, time to move on.

I removed the roof last weekend and the left side panel. The left side wall is totally rotted out and the right side wall will probably be about the same. I'm going to replace the roof and both side walls.

The roof panel measures 5' x 5' and the side walls are 9' x 4'. I called about 12 lumber suppliers in the Metro Atlanta area and none of them stock plywood panels larger than the standard 4' x 8' size. I found a supplier in NC (The Hardware Store of North Carolina) that had 5' x 10' marine grade baltic birch plywood in stock and drove up there yesterday and got 3 sheets.

Here are some photos - I'll post more as I progress through the project.

Roof Panel Rot

IMG_5222.jpg

Left Side Wall Rot

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

IMG_5208.jpg
IMG_5207.jpg

5' x 10' Marine Grade Baltic Birch Plywood

IMG_5221.jpg

@Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

DFNDER

Wow. Very sad to see what you’re going through with this. Some of these builders don’t deserve to be in business. No product should fall apart like that.

Wow. Very sad to see what you’re going through with this. Some of these builders don’t deserve to be in business. No product should fall apart like that.

Thanks. It's definitely frustrating with the condition it is in. The upside is that it will probably be stronger than when it was new once all the repairs are done.

Here are a couple of progress pics. I removed the left side wall and cut the new piece this weekend.

All of the bolts and screws were fairly easy to remove, but the front of the wall was secured by staples. It took a while to pry off the front and expose the staples so I could cut and pull them out.

Lining up the bottom of the wall piece on the plywood was a bit tricky too since a lot of it is rotted out.

Next step is to waterproof the new piece then replace the wood veneer on the wall.

IMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5326.jpg

IMG_5327.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_5332.jpg

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Just wanted to let you know that a video popped up on my YouTube account from a Idaho dealer of BRX due to my " consumer advocate " nature I posted a comment about you simply asking for help rebuilding your rotted unit. Just mentioned the owner kind of ghosted you. Of course the dealer got all butte hurt and said he contacted the owner and of course implied that I was mistaken. Anyway sorry if I hurt your cause. I like the idea of bagging Baskett rack and going with yakima towers. Those basket racks look freaking heavy

Just wanted to let you know that a video popped up on my YouTube account from a Idaho dealer of BRX due to my " consumer advocate " nature I posted a comment about you simply asking for help rebuilding your rotted unit. Just mentioned the owner kind of ghosted you. Of course the dealer got all butte hurt and said he contacted the owner and of course implied that I was mistaken. Anyway sorry if I hurt your cause. I like the idea of bagging Baskett rack and going with yakima towers. Those basket racks look freaking heavy

I saw the post and their response. I did get another email last Saturday from one of my contacts at BRX. I'm well into fixing everything myself so that is the focus going forward.

I'm thinking the Yakima towers are the better way to go also. They would also allow space for airflow into the AC unit.

More progress pics to come tomorrow. Making progress one day at a time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger