budget adventure vehicle: Sprinter vs Express

Cole

Expedition Leader
I would bet most of those half ton builds are over their weight limit.

Interesting assumption that because I have a Sprinter I'm automatically filling it to the max!?! :coffeedrink:

My Sprinter is an extremely minimalist build. Yet, heavier than you would expect. I'd love to see some of these van builds on the scales. RV/conversion van builders are notorious for building to/over the GVWR.

HINO SG

Adventurer
I've owned VW Microbuses, Syncros, and know a dozen or more Sprinter owners. I'd love to have a nice T1N Sprinter, or an new 4x4.

But...

I had a AWD Express as my work vehicle for almost 2 years. Great traction, and fuel economy wasn't terrible. 16+MPG, maybe better on the highway.
No major, or even minor-mechanical problems. V8 power, if you need to pull a trailer. It's hard to ignore.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Cole I just went though your build thread... what do you have in there that weighs so much?!

That's just it. There isn't much in there but I've had it on th scales and its much heavier than expected.

-I bought 380lbs of 80/20 aluminum and have installed about 2/3 of it.(that included the weight of all the fasteners)
-the maple wood that makes the bottom of the shelves.
-the non-backed carpet is glued to the stock plastic interior panels repurposed.
-a little vinyl flooring
-roof racks
-larger tires than stock
-2 extra seats
-front seat swivels
-jack knife bed(which I can lift and carry by myself

On the scales it's about 1500-1800lbs over what the van is supposed to weigh empty. That's with ZERO gear or people in it.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Must be the fancy paint job...

Runs and all:coffeedrink:

Notice that I haven't finished the cabinets or done the roof insulation yet. So even the basic shell really isn't complete.

17981734619_99ab7f53f7_k_d.jpg

86cj

Explorer
Your sprinter also has 200 more cubic feet of interior volume than the express, and I've always found that stuff expands to fill the space available, whether it's suitcases, cars, or houses. I'm pretty confident I have the discipline necessary to keep any build-out as light as necessary. And from looking around here, there are plenty of examples of successful half-ton Express builds.

The original poster thinks he can pack like he's camping in a steel tent so the AWD 1500 could be enough for him. The AWD 1500 van falls between the street oriented Sprinter and the rock crawler U Joint Vans, most backcountry campers would find the offroad capability sufficient.

Expo campers could pack light enough to make the 7300GVW acceptable and enjoy the factory installed front drive axle but we all have to much cool gear..

Yes, a 2WD 3/4 or 1 ton Sprinter or Express can weigh more than a 1/2 ton AWD Van and allow a full self contained camper, but they are very different fruit off road when at GVW, as Haven brought up.

I am aware of the new AWD Sprinter but it is even out of my budget, in 2013 a similar 2WD Sprinter was almost $15,000 more than my loaded AWD pass van.

Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
An AWD conversion van is a brilliant idea; can't believe I didn't think of it myself. They do look fairly common, although not 10-for-sale-on-my-local-craigslist common. They even seem to be priced about the same as AWD cargo vans and not nearly as beat up.

Would you mind expanding a bit on vans vs truck campers? Would a pop-up camper win back some of the disadvantages on a steep wooded trail?

They both keep your stuff dry when it rains, and go in a generally forward direction when you press on the skinny pedal. Everything else is just details! :D

The best part of a truck camper is the cab overhang while traveling, the shade on the cab allows very little A/C need but blocks the view up when in the really big mountains. The cabover bunk allows an almost unusable amount of air into the rear slider when driving, it actually blew my dog into the front of the ext. cab, their is alot of driveline and exhaust noise when slider is open also. BTW most truck camper bathrooms are more frustrating than enjoyable even when you have to go, bathing in one? good luck.........

If your truck is set up to handle a camper at posted speeds on todays beat up highways safely, it's probably not happy following ATV's and Jeeps on whooped out rutted trails and forest roads.
Yes a pop up camper is better but what is the loaded wet weight, take a good look at the center of gravity mark on the campers today and compare it with the truck MFG's recommended location for "Street Use", on a truck with a wheelbase short enough to be trail worthy it's hard to get the center of gravity forward enough (std cab) to not feel like you can do wheelies in low lock on hills. A 155" wheelbase truck will handle a small camper great mine hauls a big camper well on the road, but Weight And Wheelbase are your enemy offroad no matter what type of camper you choose.

AWD 7300lb Van, comfortable mattress, driver accessable porta-potty, portable shower, great view, no people nearby, "goes forward when you press skinny pedal", PRICELESS...........

DavidAlex

The original poster thinks he can pack like he's camping in a steel tent so the AWD 1500 could be enough for him. The AWD 1500 van falls between the street oriented Sprinter and the rock crawler U Joint Vans, most backcountry campers would find the offroad capability sufficient.

Expo campers could pack light enough to make the 7300GVW acceptable and enjoy the factory installed front drive axle but we all have to much cool gear..

Yes, a 2WD 3/4 or 1 ton Sprinter or Express can weigh more than a 1/2 ton AWD Van and allow a full self contained camper, but they are very different fruit off road when at GVW, as Haven brought up.

I am aware of the new AWD Sprinter but it is even out of my budget, in 2013 a similar 2WD Sprinter was almost $15,000 more than my loaded AWD pass van.
Steel tent is my operating principle. And my travel background is mostly backpacking (both the airplanes, carry-on luggage and hostels type and the traipsing through the backcountry with a tiny stove and tent kind) so even a hundred pounds of personal gear per person seems super luxurious to me. Besides, my traveling party is only two -- my lady friend and I have no babies or dogs to add to the load.

The best part of a truck camper is the cab overhang while traveling, the shade on the cab allows very little A/C need but blocks the view up when in the really big mountains. The cabover bunk allows an almost unusable amount of air into the rear slider when driving, it actually blew my dog into the front of the ext. cab, their is alot of driveline and exhaust noise when slider is open also. BTW most truck camper bathrooms are more frustrating than enjoyable even when you have to go, bathing in one? good luck.........

If your truck is set up to handle a camper at posted speeds on todays beat up highways safely, it's probably not happy following ATV's and Jeeps on whooped out rutted trails and forest roads.
Yes a pop up camper is better but what is the loaded wet weight, take a good look at the center of gravity mark on the campers today and compare it with the truck MFG's recommended location for "Street Use", on a truck with a wheelbase short enough to be trail worthy it's hard to get the center of gravity forward enough (std cab) to not feel like you can do wheelies in low lock on hills. A 155" wheelbase truck will handle a small camper great mine hauls a big camper well on the road, but Weight And Wheelbase are your enemy offroad no matter what type of camper you choose.

AWD 7300lb Van, comfortable mattress, driver accessable porta-potty, portable shower, great view, no people nearby, "goes forward when you press skinny pedal", PRICELESS...........
Thanks for the perspectives. I really do like the turn-key aspect of truck campers, but it does really seem like a lot of compromise. And your point about highway suspension vs trail suspension is quite well taken. I'd probably lean towards a better highway ride and better mileage at the expense of not getting quite so far down the trail.

KMG

Adventurer
Hello, Don't forget about the Nissan NV3500HD. It's available with a high roof, 4,ooo lbs. payload, 9,000 towing, V8, and has the option of Quigley 4x4. I had a 2013 Fuso with BlueTec. Replaced the system twice under warranty. IMHO stay away from 2012 and newer US diesel vehicles.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
We REALLY like our Sprinter van. The ability to stand up in it and change, eat, drink and hangout is a game changer. Our Webasto heater makes sleeping in it during the winter a dream.

Paddy

Adventurer
The sprinter really shines when your circle is large. For trips under 300 miles, any van will do. For serious slab-time between destinations a sprinter wins for fuel savings. Out west the distances can be really vast, and the 600 mile range of my sprinter makes me happy.

Cole

Expedition Leader
The sprinter really shines when your circle is large. For trips under 300 miles, any van will do.

Totally disagree with this! I've got a Eurovan Westfalia and a 158" high roof dually Sprinter. I drive the Sprinter 90% of the time bumming around town with my 2yo daughter and two dogs.

We drive right to the heart of downtown everyday before starting our daily adventures. It's the interior size, the ability to stand up and the stock diesel furnace that make it perfect for short adventures around town. The interior size makes it far easier to "just hang out in" than smaller vans. Great for day trip picnics, hanging out at the park, dog park, hiking, toddler nap time, museums, zoo, aquarium, playgrounds, etc etc.

With the smaller van you are always on your knees or sitting out the slider door. It feels cramped inside. It makes you feel like you need to go places rather than just hang out places. This is even though my Eurovan westy has swivel seats, poptop, table, sleeps 4.

The Sprinter feels more like a home away from home. So even close trips turn into all day adventures. The urge of "we should probably go home" goes away.

idahocartel

im in the same boat as the OP. I currently have an 03' dbl cab Taco with shell and roof top. but now that i gave up my apartment in LA,CA need something for stealth camping down there for a month or 2 at a time.
but also want to be able to boondock at ski hills.
so both the sprinter and chevy express awd, have both diff advantages and disadvantages.
Love the extra height of the sprinter but not as stealth for los angeles and the 2wd factor with no options of a locker or slip diff.
the express awd is great, cheap option for lift, and little more stealth, but almost 1/2 the interior space.
i guess i need to decide whats more important too me, room size or awd.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I have a 6'2" standing height inside my extended Ford Van and I still dream of a 20' box truck or commuter bus build. If I don't have dirtbikes or a snowmobile inside the van then it's cavernous. Just can't over emphasize how much I like being able to stand up in the van and walk around. I'm amazed at how well my 2WD van with factory limited slip does in the snow, mud and sand with the tires aired down and some weight in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears