Budget Basecamp (AK Camper on a service bed)

LilKJ

Adventurer
Thought I would bring this project over here. Family has been tent camping forever and our system is pretty well worked out. We did, however, want a better winter/bad weather option. This also includes camping in northern Wyoming/Montana so stress-free camping in bear country was a priority. I also think the going rate for "off road" campers is a bit ridiculous, so we're going to see just how cheap we can build this thing. It's not going to run the rubicon, but needs to handle FS roads and most of the passes in the San Juans. #1 priority is having a the comfiest small setup we can for my family of 3.

All started with this 1977 Alaskan Camper on a truck bed trailer I found on marketplace. Cost to this point: $400.

alaskan1.jpg

LilKJ

Adventurer
Yanked the camper off of the trailer and took stock of what I was dealing with.

alaskan2.jpgalaskan3.jpg

Water damage dictated that the upper corners would need to be replaced as well as the entire floor. Good thing the floor on these is exactly 4x8'. Floor was removed in a very precise fashion.

alaskan4.jpg

It's very convenient that everything is anchored to the walls as opposed to the floor in these things.

alaskan5.jpg

LilKJ

Adventurer
Installed the new vent and a stove jack for the inevitable woodstove... coated the entire top with white Durabak.
alaskan10.jpg

All of the exterior screws were replaced with hundreds and hundreds of stainless screws. Lower portion painted with Rustoleum industrial and the new foam insulation is in.

alaskan6.jpg

Total cost at this point, about $400.

LilKJ

Adventurer
A plus, you can put an alternator on that axle to recharge your batteries

Nice build, new would be 30,000-40,000$

That axle won't be staying under the trailer... it's a ford 9" so someone out there in the hot rod world wants it. Once I get a weight on the finished trailer I can decide whether it gets a 5200 or 7k axle.

Cool idea with the alternator though, I had to google it. Didn't know people did that.

LilKJ

Adventurer
...and to the current state of things: painting was halted due to cold weather, my wife painted some awesome murals on the interior end walls, I survived the test burn of the wood stove.

alaskan11.jpgalaskan12.jpgalaskan13.jpgalaskan14.jpg

Total cost thus far is right around $700, most of which feels like it has been POR-15, butyl tape, and Durabak.

Aside from the interior finishes, the big step is going to be the slide-out "porch" that will fit into the space between the rear door and floor of bed. Also need to figure out how to arrange the electrical and everything that needs to go in the outside compartments.

LilKJ

Adventurer
What seals the two sliding rigid parts on these campers?

Why are there not more campers built like this?

The manufacturer uses pirelli webbing on edges of the top and bottom section. I'll be using the rubber seals for garage doors, much cheaper.

socceronly

The manufacturer uses pirelli webbing on edges of the top and bottom section. I'll be using the rubber seals for garage doors, much cheaper.

So is that like a gasket, if that is the right work, that attached to one which the other slides over?

socceronly

Yes, one piece is attached to the upper portion and slides on the lower. A second piece attaches to the lower and slides on the upper. Basically, picture a wiper on each that slides on the other.

Ahhhh. That makes sense.

Thanks!
JM

LilKJ

Adventurer
Finished the insulation and cement board around the wood stove today and got the levelling jacks installed on the back.132191069_867720764039183_7817350205559147149_n.jpg132592415_155493422605731_828884197823662939_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears