Budget Boost questions

adventure man

Hello everyone!!

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee and I want to install a budget boost lift. I just put on Bilstein HD shocks. So with those shocks can I use a 2.25 inch lift? Would this cause any problems? I just bought them a few months ago so I really do not want to buy new ones.

I am planning on buying this kit:www.4wheelcustoms.com/Products.asp?Cat=1210

Thanks a lot!

alosix

Expedition Leader
You would likely be ok, though maybe loosing a little down travel. I know the RE BB's ship with their 0-2" lift shock lengths.

Do you happen to have the model number of the shocks you put on? Look those up, figure out the compressed and extended lengths then compare those to what comes in the kits.

I'm guessing you'll be pretty close.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
No it should not be any problems

You know, of course, that going more than an inch over stock runs a risk (technically speaking) of getting death wobble, and drive-line issues. Some folks need to swap out the old drive shaft with a better one.

It should not be a huge deal for you though... MOST folks get off with that with no problems whatsoever.

Personally... I love my 2" bb

You will also need to consider doing SOMETHING to the swaybar. Personally I would go with a JKS disconnects. I love those as well.

Cheers

alosix

Expedition Leader
Would it be better to go with less lift to maintain good suspension geometry?

2" on a Grand is barely any lift at all :)...

Weirdness happens about 3-3.5+

'death wobble' can happen to anything. Its more attributable to worn steering/front end components and bad castor settings than it is to lift height.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Ran a budget boost on my ZJ for years and it did really well. My only concern would be still using the original coils that are now 12 years old.

Amauri

Explorer
You will be fine either way, you might have to trim a bit of the front bumper but nothing significant.

adventure man

ok thanks for the info. I am going to buy the 2.25" and use the shocks I already bought. Do you think I will have rubbing problems if I get 31's and use a 16" rim?

alosix

Expedition Leader
31s might be a little much, especially if you don't do the bump stops.30s should be safe though.

Jason

Amauri

Explorer
31's will be fine, that's a very common combo. Stock length shocks will wear out quicker but by the you will probably want to go bigger anyway. :D

blazinid

Adventurer
My 96 zj has a 2" BB and i'm running 31X10.5r15 BFG AT's and have no contact issues other than turning hard left the passenger front rubs the lower control link. No bumper or fender contact at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78