budget performance cars

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Love the 944 Turbos, almost bought one several years ago. I was scared off by the price of parts, etc. Also, just wasn't sure how "fun" it would be compared to more modern cars.

Personally, I prefer to run the smallest turbo possible which gets you to 100-120hp/L. Beyond that, they get laggy and bleah... So, 300 whp from that... 8V? 2.5L engine might be a bit much for my preferences.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Love the 944 Turbos, almost bought one several years ago. I was scared off by the price of parts, etc. Also, just wasn't sure how "fun" it would be compared to more modern cars.

Personally, I prefer to run the smallest turbo possible which gets you to 100-120hp/L. Beyond that, they get laggy and bleah... So, 300 whp from that... 8V? 2.5L engine might be a bit much for my preferences.

Oh I totally agree, and if/when I blow this turbo I plan to drop down to a smaller hybrid. Honestly, parts aren't all that much more expensive than for my other cars (not that that's saying much - BMW's and orphaned Jeeps)

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've got a GT28R on my Focus, it's pretty good. Very little lag, full boost around 2800, above 4000, there's no lag at all. The 944T might be able to handle a GT28RS?

sourdoughben

Folks that haven't driven a Miata, should. Even Jay Leno has one. I have owned two NA's both I drove very hard without issue.

ITTOG

The cavalier Z28's and Z31's were awesome to drive. They had fun engine power and handling. I had one and loved to drive it. I wish I would have never sold it.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I was a bit confused by the list of cars and now I see that was from 2009, 14 years ago.

So is it harder or easier to buy a fun performance car now for 10k?

I bought a clean ‘01 Mustang for 7k about the time this thread started. Seems like a great deal now but I’m not sure 260hp qualifies as “performance” in 2023.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I had a 2003 SVT Focus and boy was that a fun car. Needed a little more power but it sure made backroads so much fun. A car I thought was an upgrade but was not was my old 2006 Supercharged Cobalt SS/SC. Although quick, that car sounded terrible and was way less quality than the SVT.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
My kind of thread!

Been through the Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes and BMW's.......Still have this gem after 27 years! Most definitely is not the fastest, can be beat off the line by your moms mini van and be out cornered by your chevy 4wd truck but, is still so cool.....given that it's based on 1950's technology!

C176B047-AD1E-4BFC-8626-82B6BA454310.jpg

Last edited:

ThePartyWagon

My kind of thread!

Been through the Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes and BMW's.......Still have this gem after 27 years! Most definitely is not the fastest, can be beat off the line by your moms mini van and be out cornered by your chevy 4wd truck but, is still so cool.....given that it's based on 1950's technology!

View attachment 792155
Two door XJ looks clean!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears