Budget recovery tools

madmax718

Explorer
realistic cheapest solution? Tire chains. Get the heavy duty ones if possible. Get good tensioners.

In truth, worn all seasons + tire chains > brand new mud terrains. Tire chains pretty much can get you further than even having basic non locked 4wd in snow and mud. I've had a 2wd pickup that I drove through 2 feet of snow, with all seasons. Wouldnt move without the tire chains.

Most grand cherokee's don't come with the front hooks- and yours didn't come with one regardless because its 2wd.

Get the front hitch- the warn one. Its tucked inside, unlike the kurt. I did it, mostly because the hooks are pricey, even used, and given its a unibody truck, I didn't like it pulling on one rail more than the other. Probably nothing to fear here, but still. the other thing is the lower radiator guard is hollow- one bad stick or hit of a rock or random twig that just decides to poke in...something does make it possible to puncture the radiator and the AC. The warn unit protects the lower part, as well as the hollow radiator guard. Costs about 200 dollars shipped (amazon?)

I dont think rocks are a big issue there, and with a 2wd, there isn't much clearance. the chains will help a lot with mud and sand. Just remember to still air down, chain up, and go easy on the skinny pedal.

A3M0N

Observer
Thanks for the info on the hitch, I'm planning on that direction when I can. Did you have to trim the bumper cover at all?

I've been researching Hi-Lift jacks, and reading lots of love/hate posts about them. They're relatively affordable, and if used with common sense, seem pretty useful. I would need the wheel lifting accessory for my JGC. Anyone used it for winching vs a come along?

madmax718

Explorer
done it once. Won't really do it again unless I have to. Its its just a big pain honestly, and it takes up space, not to mention the amount of space needed for chains.

As far as the hitch goes, it depends on your trim model and year- Some have a big open mouth , and some have vertical slats. Mine had the slats, so I had to trim a little on the vertical slats to fit the hitch pin. I believe yours is just open grill, so you should have no issues.

Id get chains before the hi lift. Pretty much in this order:
Chains, hitch, big long strap (at least 20 feet) and a hitch recovery hook (8 dollars or so).

86tuning

Adventurer
What are the rear locker options for the 2wd WJ like? If you can get a locker like a lock-rite you will go a lot farther than some open-open 4wd setups. One of my old Toyota pickups with a rear locker, I barely ever got out to lock the front hubs, it drove everywhere in 2wd.

But I did make use of low range all the time. I liked the way it steered in 2wd because the steering was normal and light. Not stuff and reluctant when you get 4wd binding.

My friend had a 4wd Cherokee that he had to go to a dismantler to get front recovery points. Cost him $25 for the two front hooks (or were they loops? I never looked).

Chuck59

Observer
Plus we're going to be PCSing soon, possibly across the country and I want to have my two vehicles that I know will make it rather than one that may not. I'm hoping to convince the wife to do some camping along the way, make an adventure out of it, not just a long and tedious road trip.

That!s the way to think of it, an adventure! The thing for me that takes the fun out of traveling is a tight schedule. Make sure you take some leave to add to your allowed travel time. Take your time and try to stay off the interstates. There is so much more to see and enjoy.

Good luck!

A3M0N

Observer
Thanks max, I gotta say that that's the first time I've heard some one suggest snow chains, but it does make sense.

86tuning, the rear axle is the same in the 2WD as the 4WD, so the same locker would work there. I haven't done a lot of research into lockers but I probably should. The OEM recovery points are hooks, but they point down. I think I'm gonna plan for the front hitch as that can be a recovery point and a mount point for a winch in the future.

Could a pair of 2"x6"x3' (ish) boards be used like a set of maxtrax? Maybe with some carpet attached? Or would the weight of a vehicle just snap the boards?

I hate traveling Chuck, but I love camping. I told my wife my idea of buying a new tent and taking a few of our overnight stops at a state park or campground. I was pleasantly surprised a bit when she said yes.

Mo4130

Adventurer
A3MON,

I want to precurser this by saying I am not trying to be an an A## H### but my 8 years in the Coast Guard has tought me one thing that has transgressed into all aspects of my life, you have to pay to play. I have gone on too many SAR cases to rescue some guy who had NO buisness being out on the open ocean, most of the cases were caused by simply cutting corners and trying to do it on the cheap. You have a PCS coming up, dont mess with your vehicle until you get to your new station. I just did a cross country move and believe me, they are stressful enough with you having to worry if your vehicle is going to make it.

I am not saying you have to go out and buy dual front and rear lockers with matching winches, and 8 sets if maxtrax and the whole shebang, but I am saying you should save up a little get at least 4wd, of complete your conversion.

A3M0N

Observer
No worries Mo4130, reality checks are a good thing. This is exactly why I joined this forum and started this thread. I want to learn what I can and can't do with my equipment and what I can afford without being stuck "on the open ocean". If some lower cost or DIY solutions won't work, then I'll stay on the more traveled areas.

I planned my 4WD conversion for after our move, but the Air Force decided to change some certain finance policies that will slow my progress down significantly. Oh well, it is what it is.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Shovel are fine in soft dirt- but still can't pull from under a vehicle

Cheap and cheerfull self rescue

Intelligence
Pick mattock- pick for stones and curved blade can pull
vehicle jack
piece of plywood for jack
Tow rope- I like kinetic versions
2 shackels

Done

2bac86a8-a536-4cc6-8c80-77caf28392e7_1000.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/ARB-ARB705US-2-3-Recovery-Strap/dp/B004P9DQLC

Attachments

• 2bac86a8-a536-4cc6-8c80-77caf28392e7_1000.jpg
    2bac86a8-a536-4cc6-8c80-77caf28392e7_1000.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 253

stioc

Expedition Leader
In most situations (especially when solo) the best way to recover a vehicle is backward. It's not only easier but if you're stuck it's probably a good idea to not go any further unless you know what you're doing. Here's how I would approach your situation:

Phase I (approx $100-150): this should allow you to get out and explore the basic fire roads
1. Buy a good 4x4 book, even a used one from the 90s will have all the same basics: $5 - $30
2. Buy a MV50 air compressor so you can lower the tire pressure to 17-19psi: $50
3. Keep a shovel: $20
4. Keep a 3/4" 1ftx1ft plywood to use as a base for the factory jack on soft terrain, having a few pieces of 2x4s for stacking purposes is a good idea too or get a long reach bottle jack or buy the hilift offroad base to use with the factory jack - $10-35
5. Make sure you have a full sized spare, gps/maps, first aid kid, truck and tires (preferably all-terrains) in good condition, water/food/gear to survive an extra two-three days if you become stranded - but you won't let this happen because of the point below.
6. Go exploring with at least another 4x4 or stick to the basic fire roads in fair weather conditions until you get some experience

Phase 2 ($160-300): this should allow others to assist you
1. Get a recovery point installed in the rear (which could be a class III hitch if you don't have one already): $100 - $200
2. Get a KERR (yank) strap: $60-90
3. Keep going with at least another 4x4

Phase 3 ($150-300): makes solo recovery a lot easier without the need for bumpers, winches etc and more useful for a stock vehicle (and for less experienced) than a hilift.
1. MaxTrax or TREDs or SmittyBilt Elements - $150-$300

Of course, you can mix and match (or skip things you may already have) as the funds allow but it's how I would go about putting together a recovery kit for a stock 2WD on a budget.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Yea gotta love that sequester!!

Anyways, the best investment you can do in learning what you can do right now is try to take some entry level off roading classes, read anything and everything about off roading. I dont have the link on me, but read the old school army manual on winching and off road recovery, there is a wealth of info in that manual. Even with good AT tires, you will be suprised what 2wd can do, but like everything you need to know the limititations, that is where people get into trouble.

What do you do in the Air Force? If I could have done it all over again, I would have gone the Air Force academy and flown A10's.

A3M0N

Observer
I'll look into those manuals, thanks for the tip.

I was an F-15 crew chief, or mechanic. Now I'm retraining into intelligence.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
In most situations (especially when solo) the best way to recover a vehicle is backward. It's not only easier but if you're stuck it's probably a good idea to not go any further unless you know what you're doing. Here's how I would approach your situation:

Phase I (approx $100-150): this should allow you to get out and explore the basic fire roads
1. Buy a good 4x4 book, even a used one from the 90s will have all the same basics: $5 - $30
2. Buy a MV50 air compressor so you can lower the tire pressure to 17-19psi: $50
3. Keep a shovel: $20
4. Keep a 3/4" 1ftx1ft plywood to use as a base for the factory jack on soft terrain, having a few pieces of 2x4s for stacking purposes is a good idea too or get a long reach bottle jack or buy the hilift offroad base to use with the factory jack - $10-35
5. Make sure you have a full sized spare, gps/maps, first aid kid, truck and tires (preferably all-terrains) in good condition, water/food/gear to survive an extra two-three days if you become stranded - but you won't let this happen because of the point below.
6. Go exploring with at least another 4x4 or stick to the basic fire roads in fair weather conditions until you get some experience

Phase 2 ($160-300): this should allow others to assist you
1. Get a recovery point installed in the rear (which could be a class III hitch if you don't have one already): $100 - $200
2. Get a KERR (yank) strap: $60-90
3. Keep going with at least another 4x4

Phase 3 ($150-300): makes solo recovery a lot easier without the need for bumpers, winches etc and more useful for a stock vehicle (and for less experienced) than a hilift.
1. MaxTrax or TREDs or SmittyBilt Elements - $150-$300

Of course, you can mix and match (or skip things you may already have) as the funds allow but it's how I would go about putting together a recovery kit for a stock 2WD on a budget.
Over the last year I've arrived at the same conclusion as your outline. It's nice to see someone else put a sanity check on it and write it down in one place. Just ordered a set of TREDS. Thanks for the visual.

LR Max

Local Oaf
The OEM recovery points are hooks, but they point down.

Get/make tow hook keepers. Just a piece of flimsy metal to make sure whatever is on the hook, stays on the hook. That should be a lot easier and cheaper than installing a hitch.

keeper-tow-hook-black.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle