Budget suggestions for potential IIa

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
This truck actually has the original hand hammer installed rivets. The bad, the previous owner painted over them. The PO also paid about 8K for the paint job ... which was a great job, 'cept the painting of the cappings.

I do believe with some patience, however that the paint could be removed without destroying the paint on the truck. The painted pedals and steering column are an easy fix. As for the windshield surround and other items painted, it is pretty cheap to watch e-bay and pick these up and simply remove and bolt on the correct galv'd part.

Makings of a strong truck ... IMHO.

D

Wander

Expedition Leader
Yeah most of the hand hammered rivots are there, some were replaced along the way. I think with careful masking and a small soda blaster you could get the paint off the cappings and the rivots could be done by hand-slowly.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Nice looking truck! If it actually is as nice as it looks, runs as nice, etc., then yeah, it's a $7-8K truck. Unless you are planning to do a full resto frame up, my advice is to buy the nicest truck you can afford to get. Then tinker on it as you have time and money.

Yorker

Adventurer
This truck actually has the original hand hammer installed rivets. The bad, the previous owner painted over them. The PO also paid about 8K for the paint job ... which was a great job, 'cept the painting of the cappings.

:Wow1: What?! $that is an 8k paint job? What did they do prime it with gold leaf?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
:Wow1: What?! $that is an 8k paint job? What did they do prime it with gold leaf?

Yeah, I was kinda taken aback by that comment, given the lack of even marginal masking. It's been awhile (15 years or so) since I've had something painted to that degree, but that estimate seemed a tad on the high side. Makes me feel even more sure I will be doing my own paint job.

James86004

Expedition Leader

All the money went here:

However, I agree that body looks awfully smooth. I don't think you'll find anyone who says that Birmabright is easy to do body work on, which might mean there is significant body putty on there.

Getting rid of all the tiny dents will easily eat up thousands of dollars.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I have no idea what the paint cost. If the prior owner did spend that amount I think he got taken advantage of. Even at half that estimate it still would be an expensive job. I can say from running my hand along it that it is very smooth and even.

lstrvr

I don't know what it's like in the states, but it is getting near impossible to find a shop that would ever even consider touching an old Land Rover for a complete body work/paint around here (Vancouver, Canada). Considering the labour invested in prepping both inside and out including all the fiddely stuff around the dash etc. etc. and then considering that it may have had a ton of work put in for dent control.......... I would think that price to be pretty common. Anytime I've looked in to paint work on my series, I am always turned away. The body shops here make a KILLING on insurance claims and will not touch a private job. I had a hood and a couple doors shot for $400, and ended up in a big fight with the shop as they didn't spray the inside of the doors and painted over the Galavanised tire mount cap! Sure you can get a truck re-sprayed for $800, but it's not going to include bodywork or interior prep and paint for that cost. I have close to $700 in bills for just the paint, primer and supplies for my truck. I painted it myself and could never imagine what it would have cost to pay someone to have done it right. Obviously its hard to comment entirely based on a few pics, but the painted galvinized cappings and overspray in fenders does not constitute a poor job. The previous owner may have asked for the cappings to be painted over due to rust staining or mere defender envy. I do agree that it does not look like a high end quality paint job though, but I am always amazed at what associates of mine end up paying for paint and bodywork on their custom Hot Rods or restorations. It seems that $20,000 is a figure I hear more than less nowadays!!

Last edited:

Wander

Expedition Leader
The seller did mention that the prior owner wanted a "defender look" on the IIa so that migth explain the cappings. I can say from seeing it in person that the paint shop did not paint under the bonnet or the engine bay. The dash and footwells, floor, seat box were painted but they did leave the galv trim alone on the inside of the windscreens. The out side of the top was painted a nice cream/white but not the inside of the top or any thing of the inside rear section (the tub?). So that just another unusual aspect of this IIa which is still a very solid truck but it's just quirky but that just might be what the prior owner wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman