"Budget" Vehicles for DD/OL/Expo

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
My Suzuki Sidekick was a great vehicle. Ours was a two door, but they made them in four-door versions, too. Plenty of aftermarket for the 89-98s; some aftermarket for the 99-04, too (plus they had more power, more safety).

I, however, ended up with an XJ after 5+ years with our Sidekick.

side_zpsivjtjus4.jpg

15380332_10210527706125566_7944133226184913347_n_zpsil720xyn.jpg

20160828_173122_HDR_zps9cxlylcp.jpg

4x4junkie

Explorer
The Ford Explorer is a good solid truck that I didn't see mentioned yet... I see '91-'01 models (inc. '02 & '03 Sport) go for as cheap (or often even cheaper) than the XJ. I think they're more solid vehicles too (after all, they do have a frame, and interestingly the Jeep guys seem to revere their axles). Aftermarket support is decent, and availability of replacement parts is very widespread (anywhere in North America... I know Explorers are quite prevalent in South America as well).

Research may turn up the auto trans as a problem spot on Explorers (and indeed it is), however continued research should also show that a decent-size auxiliary transmission cooler plumbed into the return line from the factory in-radiator cooler can mitigate most issues. I've seen many last well past 250K with a cooler installed. The stickshift OTOH is reliable as dirt, though it has 3 rubber push-in plugs at the top-rear of the trans that should be replaced if you do get one (they tend to shrink with age, only leaking fluid while in operation (not while parked), so a leak here could go unnoticed until it's too late). With proper maintenance, the 4.0L (pushrod) V6 is a 300K+ mile engine easy.

One thing I have learned over the years with family & I having owned numerous vehicles of different makes: All the hub-bub about how reliable Toyota is (and Honda too for that matter) is a bunch of baloney. Indeed Toyota makes a pretty reliable vehicle, but they definitely are not standouts. We have had just as many (or just as few, whichever way you want to put it) problems with Toyotas as we've had with Ford. Their absurdly-high selling prices on the used market no doubt makes them a very poor value. The most problematic vehicles have been from Chrysler.

Simons

Adventurer
My 2c, the 4Runner may cost slightly more up front but the 3rd gens (96-02) have a lot of advantages that actually make them less expensive expo/off road candidates. They can be found with a factory push button rear locker, big plus. If they were optioned from the factory with 265/70R16's then the V6 models will be sporting 4:30 gears and the 4cyl models will be sporting 4:56's. The wheel openings are large enough that with slight wheel well pinch seam massaging up front you can fit 255/85R16's on the factory wheels without rubbing, and don't need to re-gear to run them. Lots of aftermarket suspension options if lift and performance is what you need, but a simple spacer up front and a pair of used LC coils gets you up there for next to no $$. Yes the ifs doesn't articulate up front like the solid axle of a Cherokee, BUT the 4linked rear twists up like crazy and it'll still get you wherever you want to go off road with the added bonus of a very nice ride on road (which is important in an expo vehicle). They are narrow and have a fairly low roof height when compared to a Trooper or Disco etc so they fit in tight trails, the 3rd gens have much better turning radius than there torsion bar suspended predecessors did. They have more cargo space than a Cherokee and have a 5000lbs tow rating (possibly due to there full frame)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thechipman

I don't know.....I browse the classifieds frequently and I can't tell you how often I find used 4runners and Tacomas with well over 400k (kilometers), occasionally some well into their 600k on original drivetrains still in excellent running condition! Up here in Canada it seems rust is the only thing that will take these Toyotas off the road. (Aside from neglected maintenance). Like any company Toyota still has its lemons, but they do have a legendary reputation for a reason. I have yet to spot another manufacturer with that many good used high mileage rigs. My 2cents.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Simons

Adventurer
I agree with you chipman, I believe Toyota has done a remarkable job at creating the perception of 'legendary reliability' and we as consumers have perpetuated that by continuing to do the required repairs and maintenance to high mileage Toyota vehicles thereby keeping them moving and clocking impressive mileage not normally experienced with other vehicles, but what's different about these 4runners and Tacomas is they also don't feel/drive like they have unreasonably high mileage. I personally have owned three used Chevy 2wd 1/2 tons (89, 91, 96) that have clocked in the 400-500 thousand kilometre range with only minor repairs and regular maintenance, I would also consider them to have 'legendary reliability'. I worked as a technician at a Land Rover/Jaguar dealership.....I would definitely NOT consider any Disco or Range Rover or Freelander or anything Jaguar 'legendary or reliable', comfortable...yes, fun to drive...yes, ridiculously expensive and plagued with mechanical and electrical flaws...yes. I also did a 13yr stint as a tech at a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer, again I wouldn't consider much there 'legendary or reliable', but we would see many pick ups, mini vans and Cherokees with 300+ thousand Kms on them....but they drove, felt and sounded like they had that mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MTGunner

MTGunner
Clemson, I own a 2000 Xterra that I have been working with for off roading here in NW Montana. Great off road rig and lots of room, albeit not as much as the trooper that I am looking to get for another rig for the desert of SW New Mexico. Any how, my Xterra has suspension reworks, shocks, new bushings, spring shackle lift back and 30x10.5-15 Nexen tires. Has been great in the mountains here in MT and off road on the plains mid MT. I would look at any and all that have been discussed. Lots of sage info here. BTW, if you get to MT look me up, PM me, to get together to do some mountain exploration. We live 80 miles SE of Glacier Nat'l. Park. Lots to do here. Good luck. MTG

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One thing I have learned over the years with family & I having owned numerous vehicles of different makes: All the hub-bub about how reliable Toyota is (and Honda too for that matter) is a bunch of baloney.
I'll third that.
I think it's more accurate to say that Toyota hasn't changed that much, but that ALL Manufacturers have increased greatly in reliability to the point where the difference between most of the major brands is not nearly as significant as it used to be.
I agree with you chipman, I believe Toyota has done a remarkable job at creating the perception of 'legendary reliability' and we as consumers have perpetuated that by continuing to do the required repairs and maintenance to high mileage Toyota vehicles thereby keeping them moving and clocking impressive mileage not normally experienced with other vehicles
There is a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy when it comes to "high mileage Toyotas." I first noticed it in motorcycling back in the 1990's, when, ironically, the dynamic was the exact opposite: Harley Davidsons were seen as paragons of quality and high mileage and Japanese motorcycles were the "jap junk" that would always break down.
But I very quickly realized there was a reason for this perception: Harleys, being much, MUCH more expensive than used Japanese bikes, were purchased by people who had the means to take care of them. They were parked in garages and lovingly maintained (to keep their resale value, among other reasons.)
Older Japanese bikes, OTOH, were purchased by people like...ME! College students, broke GI's, people who parked them outside, who neglected regular maintenance or who just let them sit for months at a time without being ridden. Because they were cheap they were TREATED like they were cheap and that made them come across as "unreliable" when, in reality, a well taken care of Japanese bike was every bit as good as any Harley.
I think the dynamic works the same with 4x4s. As a reformed Toyota bigot (who finally got tired of paying the Toyota Tax) I felt it myself. You spend a lot of time idolizing and dreaming about the Big T, save your money or go deep into debt to get one, and you take care of it, because it's a big investment for you. You look down on "lesser" brands and if something DOES go wrong (coughHEADGASKETcough) you shrug it off and say "hey nothing's perfect!"
Meanwhile, some high school kid making eight bucks an hour buys an old, mistreated Tahoe or Explorer because it's all he can afford and when it (predictibly) leaves him by the side of the road he says "these things are junk! I wish I could afford a Toyota, they NEVER break down!" :rolleyes: Which means that even the non-Toyota drivers are buying into the "bulletproof Toyota" myth.

donrafa7

I love my gen1 tundra. About the size of the new Tacoma or canyon. V8. Can be had Cheaper than said mid-size vehicles. Reliable. I have drank the Toyota Kool-Aid and swear by their reliability but at the end of the day it comes down to who owns it and how is it maintained. I had my ford focus last me 180k mile without any issues, may Mazda rx7 was very reliable (after blowing up, and rebuilding it myself, haha). My dads hand me down dodge Dakota lasted 25 years and was running fine until rust/safety got the best of it. I do all my own maintenance and stay on top of issues. Just buy something that has maintenance records. Don't buy some young kids pre-runner (they don't have the money to do things properly and beat the **** out of their trucks doing stupid crap).

lude4life

Probably doesnt meet your needs, but its been great for me so far. Im in the same boat... my 2013 Rav4 has done all I want it to so far. (although that hasnt been much yet). Just getting it setup as a weekend camp mobile, road trip warrior, up the mountains to snowboard and as well as my daily driver. It will tow my little tin can fishing boat with ease as well.

Its AWD actually does really good. Oregon has had some massive snow lately and it kicked through it with ease even with the current crappy highway tires on it. I'll be bumping up 1 size and throwing some ATs on there.

Granted the worst it will see is some beat up, rutted forest service roads, but Im ok with that as thats all we will be asking of it to do. :)

And 26+mpg is GREAT since its my daily driver!

14scrc0.jpg

Older Rav4s would be great as well.

lude4life

Always kinda liked the lil rav4's. Yours looks good!

Thanks! I have some plans for her. Larger AT tires next then some other things (with its limitations in mind of course). It surprisingly has a ton of room inside. I always thought they were smaller but its pretty dang roomy.

AK.xplorer

Observer
I have had great luck with my 06 TB over the past nearly 8 years. Has become a bit more trail than overland, but has only needed minimal maintenance, has travelled and wheeled over 1000+ mile trips, is comfy, on 35s I get about 16 mpg with sensible driving. GM set them up for success with a 2.7:1 Transfercase, good solid transmission, a 275 or 291 HP inline 6 or you can get the 5.3 V8 if you look around, and they have a fully boxed frame.

They can be found in good shape left over from a soccer mom and pretty cheap. Parts are really cheap if needed. Aftermarket is not huge, but there is a good group of owners and some individuals that supply some great stuff reasonably. PLus they are different and the number of compliments I get from yota and jeep guys is amazing once they see it in action.

I am really impressed with your rig. Were you able to work out the bugs with the overall rig? That 4.2 atlas is an intriguing engine, regardless of it's issues.

Look it this guy's budget Traiblazer build, he even made a home-made roof top tent:
http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?t=78

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My Suzuki Sidekick was a great vehicle. Ours was a two door, but they made them in four-door versions, too. Plenty of aftermarket for the 89-98s; some aftermarket for the 99-04, too (plus they had more power, more safety).

I, however, ended up with an XJ after 5+ years with our Sidekick.

side_zpsivjtjus4.jpg

15380332_10210527706125566_7944133226184913347_n_zpsil720xyn.jpg

20160828_173122_HDR_zps9cxlylcp.jpg

Did I see your XJ on Yaris forums regarding an off road yaris? Or something of the sort? or did you own a white one with gold rims?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998