Build on a new frame or new bike?

trump

Adventurist
I didn't really think to ask my question in here until Flounder posted a custom frame builder in another thread. My much loved Trek Fuel EX8 frame suffered an unfortunate accident, so I'm faced with the dilema of what to do. Should I get a new frame (all my components survived and are in very good shape) and build them on the new frame? Or, should I sell the parts and get a whole new setup?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Frame. If your parts are still good or if you want to upgrade to better components, now's the time. There's nothing better than a custom-to-you bike that you've built up yourself.

Kind of like your truck, right?

trump

Adventurist
That's the way I'm leaning, and I like the idea of building it myself. Never done it before... just never had to do it. It was a sad day for me taking it all apart.

Right now Moots is a possible for a replacement depending on the price. There's a dealer right up the road from me and their full suspension design is very similar to the geometery of my Trek.

trump

Adventurist
Yeah, maybe I'll get lucky and find a nice closeout... thanks for the reminder.

I was originally hoping to save cost by finding a frame that was similar enough to reuse the rear shock too. That way I could save some cost, but it seems every full suspension frame includes it since they are typically so specific to the geometery and tuning.

Applejack

Explorer
Just buy a frame if you are reusing your old components. If you were buying all new components I'd suggest buying a complete setup. It's cheaper by far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998