build thoughts 06 tundra

marathonracer

Adventurer
As I get ready to put some money into the truck I am trying to lay out some sort of plan so I can just get it right the first time. I would appreciate any input or thoughts you guys have.
The truck is a 06 tundra DC TRD that's stock for right now except for 265 75 16 bfg at. My truck isn't really wheeled in the traditional sense I use it to hunt trap and fish. Mostly the roads traveled are old logging roads chocked in with alders and many have been long forgotten until its time to haul wood again. Washouts and missing culverts are its main challenges along with very soft roads and the occasional beaver flowage over the road.
My main thought is not to lift the truck too much as it seems to be about perfect height for loading the bed. I was also thinking o slightly taller tires just to get a little more room under the diff.
I have a buddy who uses his tundra for the same thing and he is running a cheap set of 285 75 mud tires on the 16 hole steelies with only a Daystar top spacer... His uca is polished silver and his final plan involve q78 tsls and a sawzall but his truck sees exactly 1 mile of pavement before he's in he woods plus his rear is welded already
So I was thinking bilstiens at the 4th notch and 255 85 km2 on steelies either wheelers or stock 16 hole. Will this look too thin on a tundra? I've run 33 10.5 on a Tacoma and loved them so I thought this would be as close as I could get. The other thought on the tall skinny was for running in the snow... I might have them siped since they were scary on ice...could I still run chains offroad with this set up?
I really don't want to lift the rear but it also needs to be able to carry a load of traps or a snowmobile without putting the headlights in the trees. Something the Tacoma was horrible at. Nothing worse then trying to justify building up the truck when one bucket load of mulch puts the tires into the wells and the second makes them rub all the way home. I was thinking airbags could solve it?

Then upgrade to a skidrow front skid and I'd be good for a bit... Any other mods you'd suggest for what I do

Thoughts? Or do I just forget it all and stick with 265 ATs

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Sounds like you have a good plan.

255's aren't too skinny for the Tundra.

DSCF2910.jpg

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Sounds like a solid plan. I think the air bags in the rear would be perfect. I'm currently thing about running a set of 255's on my stock 17's.

Clutch what suspension mods do you have to clear those 33's?

marathonracer

Adventurer
Not sure if that is clutch's truck it used to belong to one of the .moderators on tacoma world. I know Jim ran his with justthe top puck of a Daystar kit 1.5" he then set his coilovers at the same height when he got them. Looking at the dudes yet to be named tundra he was using 5100 bilstiens at the 4th notch he now has ome coils. He had toyo MT which are big 255 I think they are like 33.5 opposed to the km2 which are 33.3

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Interesting. I just pulled the trigger on an OME kit that is promoted by Slee Offroad. Huntsonora has it on his DC and raves about it.

marathonracer

Adventurer
Thanks up country it looks like yours would be very close to the from bumper. I have a DC so my front wheel wells are a tad larger i think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12