Build Thread: “Excellent Adventure Van”; A Ujoint 4x4 on 35’s Overland Rig in the Making

So, I had posted in another discussion thread that I was considering doing a build thread on my 1998 E350 EB Overland Rig “if anybody would be interested”, and I didn’t get a single response...

So with that kind of overwhelming encouragement, how could I not!? :rolleyes:

Anyway, we picked up our van just about 1 year ago, and we finally got to start working on it just over two months ago, so I’ve got some progress pictures already back-logged to hopefully keep the updates coming fast enough to keep this thread interesting. So, like any good story, let’s go back and start at the beginning...

I was a little late to the party, but I suppose the whole “Adventure Van” thing has always been on my radar...I didn’t do my first Craigslist search until this time last year. Being in the SF Bay Area a handful of well-used Sportsmobile 4x4’s popped up, ranging from $60-80k, and one VERY derelict Salem-Kroger converted E250 with like 300,000 miles for $25k. Having sort of “co-owned” an early 2000’s gas Econoline van with a close friend of mine, I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing in terms of pricing on these things. I got discouraged pretty fast.

I decided to do some more research anyway. I stumbled onto Expedition Portal pretty early on; the value proposition of these 4x4 camper vans started to make a little bit more sense. Then I found Chris Steuber’s U-joint Off-Road, and I knew right away that a Ujoint Conversion was the the way I was going to make this happen. I must have annoyed the hell out of Chris at first, with multiple emails back and forth trying to find a way for my shoestring budget to fit with one of his conversion kits. Ultimately I “stepped up”, but more on that later.

My previous “Expo” rig was a tired old ‘62 F100 Unibody with a matching ‘53 Lancer “canned ham” trailer. The F100 went most places I tried to take it, but at about 10 mpg by itself and about 5 mpg towing the trailer, I always felt limited in where I thought I could try to go. I’d always wanted a one-ton diesel pickup so that I could tow a bit more weight and get better mileage doing it, and I explored the whole pop-up truck bed camper idea pretty thoroughly, but it seemed like all roads were pointing towards an “Adventure Van”.

The rough shape of my plan was starting to reveal itself to me. I knew that a Ford E-350 with a 7.3 Powerstroke was going to be my platform of choice. I knew that if I could sell my current truck and trailer for about $15,000, I could probably shoestring another $5,000 together for a total budget of $20,000. Let me tell you that that’s not very much when you’re talking about building a one ton diesel 4x4 van. And having such a tight budget meant that I was going to have to find a van for under $10,000.

Now, I’ve done enough big projects to know that cost overages are a reality. Some of them you just soak up along the way, like three trips to the same hardware store on a Sunday afternoon...those receipts never seem to make it into the vehicle folder for tally anyway, but still, I knew that the scope of the 4WD conversion meant that there would be a lot of little nickel and dime pitfalls, and so the lower I could push my van’s purchase price, the greater my chances of ultimately staying within’ budget would be.

But the problem with the combination of the words “budget” and “7.3 Powerstroke” was completely unknown to me. And I’ve never been able to wrap my head around purchasing a used vehicle, any used vehicle, with over 150,000 miles on it, no matter how good the motor is supposed to be. This wasn’t going to be easy...

I searched and searched. I actually found an App called BRZO that lets you search the entirety of Craigslist all at once. I was looking coast to coast. I surpassed my own mileage limit and starting looking at vans with up to 200,000 miles on them...I think I even looked at one with 215,000. Everything was either too expensive, or, some other massive compromise, like rust, body damage, etc.

For a while I was sure I was going to buy an ambulance. Even with the possibility of high “hours” I still mentally preferred the idea of low mileage. But here’s a little bit of info for anybody looking at an ambulance for their own Adventure Van build; ambulances are not rated to tow...anything. In fact I have read that some municipalities know to look for an ambulance pulling a trailer, as it’s pretty much a universal fact that they aren’t tow-rated. This might merely be fear and conjecture that I am repeating, but I found enough forum discussions on the subject to steer me away from an ambulance for my own project (though their are certainly plenty of positives to using an ambulance as your starting point).

At one point I had been ready to fly out to Utah on a Friday night to buy a van and drive it home over the weekend...and that’s when an ugly little plumbing van popped up just down the coast in Monterey for a price that seemed too good to be true.

1998 E-350 Plumbing Van 7.3 Powerstroke LOW MILES - $6,500

Something had to be wrong. I called the owner to ask what he meant by low miles, and he told me the van only had 87,000 on it. He told me the CarFax was clean and sent me a copy. Evidently he buys a lot of vans from this company and always gets the ones with the 7.3 because he can turn them around pretty fast. He even had one from them that was his daily driver.

The only catch was that the CarFax revealed that the van had been sitting for the last three years. The seller had fired it up with new batteries, and had taken it to get smogged, which it passed, but sitting is hard on vehicles. I already knew I was going to replace the entire suspension, so I decided it was worth the gamble...I just had to get it home. A deal was struck, and we were on the road!

kcernest

Observer
Nice! Looks like you scored a hell of a deal. I realized the 7.3 compromise dilemma when shopping as well and ended up with a reasonable amount of rust on mine for super low miles. Being on the east coast though makes that a compromise in almost any deal.
I look forward to seeing how this shapes up.

Good find.

Do I see a rear fuel port?

You do. But it’s not for the giant rear tank that came in box vans. More on that soon.

In the meantime, I’ll call this post “Introduction Part Deux; the Wreckoning”

So, when I said the van was “just down the coast”...isn’t it funny how when you’re excited about a new vehicle, distances seem shorter than they actually are!? And while I don’t want to be the type that complains about having to drive a whopping three hours to buy their perfect van, there were definitely some logistical considerations to wrangle.

First, when you find a $6,500 van with a low-mile 7.3 Powerstroke, you need to move FAST! I left from work the evening the van popped up on Craigslist, stopping at the ATM to pull out some cash so I had a deposit on my person. I was in Monterey before the sun went down, crawled around underneath the van, checked all the fluids, took a short test drive, and gave the man some money and shook his hand. That’ll still leave a guy feeling pretty vulnerable, driving the 3 hours home in the same car he arrived, because integrity ain’t what it used to be. I want to say that was a Thursday, and I just so happened to be officiating a wedding back in Monterey that Saturday, so the timing was maybe even going to work out.

When I got home I had to convince my wife what a cool project a 4x4 “adventure van” would be. I showed her some pictures from the Craigslist ad, and I could see she had her doubts, but then I showed her some pictures from Chris’s site. Then I had to convince her that she was going to have drive home from the wedding alone. She hates driving any kind of distance alone...but I think I promised to buy her a puppy and eventually got her on board.

I didn’t want to wait until after the wedding, on our way back home, to pick the van up. I figured every hour I didn’t finalize the transaction was a potential call from another buyer offering more than the seller’s asking price...enough more that he might eventually say yes, and so I hatched the plan that we would drive down, get the van, leave my wife’s car at the guy’s house, and head down the beach for the wedding; then we could collect her car the next day on the way back home. It would be our first “adventure” in our “adventure van” (foreshadowing!?).
When we showed up to purchase the van, the seller told me he was glad we had come down when we did. He said he had about a dozen calls, and a few of the guys started throwing out numbers well in excess of our agreed upon sale price. But, honorable guy that he is, he didn’t try to renege on our deal.

We had a great weekend rolling around Monterey. We stopped at some fancy places, and I got to get some parallel parking practice. We even tried to valet park at our hotel, but the van exceeded the height limit of their valet garage. I officiated the wedding; our old friends laughed at the fact that I had bought a vehicle on my way to marry them (typical Casey), and we set out early the next morning on our way back up the coast.

Everything was going great until just outside of San Jose on a long downhill stretch I thought I smelled something burning. I rolled the window down and sniffed the air. The van was running like a top, so surely it had to be one of the multitude of other cars on the road around us. I kept on, very aware though, and sure enough a moment later the smell got worse, and then almost immediately I saw smoke. Luckily there was a fire extinguisher on board, so I grabbed it, popped the hood and jumped out to see what was on fire.

To make a long story a little less long, the brake piston boots were weather-checked, and they failed...and brake fluid is very flammable. When I had jumped out the hole front wheel was on fire, and it looked like the tire was about to catch. Luckily, I didn’t burn the thing down. I just caught it on fire “a little bit”, but nevertheless, our adventure in the van ended on the back of a flatbed tow truck.

And let me tell you, trying to get a tow in a high roof van is a nightmare. Even without my planned 6” lift and 35’s I was too tall and too heavy for everything but a wrecker...evidently. So we waited an hour for the first tow truck, who said he couldn’t help and it was two more hours before the next guy showed up, who took us three miles to his yard to get a bigger tow truck still, and finally we were on the road home.

I would say you get what you pay for, or some other such drivel, but all things considered I was still pretty smitten with my latest project vehicle. Unfortunately, the van would have to sit on the back burner for the next ten months while I collected parts and finished other projects.

Smoker

Observer
Thanks for sharing. I know how discouraging these set backs can be. But when it's all done (if ever), you'll have some battle scars and war stories which will make the end that much more gratifying. I bought a van in Colorado and drove it back to Boston. It's been a money pit ever since, but I still love it.

By the way, I think you have a great base. I love the high top.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Ive had to be towed plenty of times throughout the years, I am very clear with the tow co. That my rig is way north of 8500lbs and is 9.5 ft tall and they always send a heavy duty truck, I've yet to wait more than an hr.
Good luck.

Let’s call this post: “Adult Decisions and the Generator Dilemna”.

Alright, let’s get to the good stuff...

So, I must finally be growing up a little bit. I had been staring at this huge pile of Ujoint conversion parts for ten months when we were finally able to start working on the van (no kidding, I got home with the van on June 30th and I had ordered the 6” Ujoint conversion from Chris by July 5th). Though as eager as I was to finally get started, I knew we also had to do some bodywork and paint the van, and I knew that that kind of work was only going to be more difficult with the van sitting a foot taller. And I HATE body work! First, I’m not very good at it. And nobody likes doing work they’re not good at. I’ve also abandoned more than one project because I just lost interest after endless hours of sanding, and sanding...and sanding. So, I commend myself on tackling this worst part of any project first, but I also had a plan...

I’m a member over at the Steel Soldiers Military Vehicle Forums. I’ve previously owned a 1953 GMC XM211 Deuce and a Half Cargo Truck and a 1943 Ford GPW Jeep. Anyway, those guys are big fans of painting vehicles with house paint. Evidently Behr Ultra-Premium Exterior Latex Enamel is just as sturdy as any vehicle specific flat colors you can buy, and lays down just as nice as anything the military ever used. A lot of those guys even roll-paint their vehicles with a short nap roller.

From the onset of this project I had an image in my head of the van done up in desert tan with a military style steel beadlock wheel, a la HMMWV. I was all set to paint my van with house paint, and I knew that prep could be minimal and probably still achieve a decent result with that process...but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. Knowing that we were going to paint the van, we figured this was the time to make all critical decisions about the which components of the original buildout we were going to keep. We had an Onan 4K Genset with it’s own auxiliary 10 gallon tank that mounted behind the rear axle, and we had an air conditioning/heater unit mounted on the roof. I wasn’t wild about the idea of keeping the components we had because they were somewhat out-dated, heavy, and large, but we already had them. For example, the generator was over 300 lbs, and it’s auxiliary fuel system was another 100 lbs, whereas a Honda 2K is about 70 lbs inclusive. The AC is about 80 lbs, and the high roof on our van is the non-reinforced model. The genset wasn’t “working” but the AC functioned on shore power. It blew decently cold, so I decided to put an afternoon into trying to get the generator working. That wasn’t really going anywhere, which made the decision to ditch both easier, and I didn’t have to feel all Prima Donna-y about it.

So, first we decided to yank the AC and genset in order to replace it with a MaxxFan (they use the same size opening) and a Honda 2K genset. I figured the Honda and a Propane tank could live in the generator box that was already installed in our van, but the box was like 2” too short for either component, and there was no practical way too make it taller, without starting from scratch. I racked my brain trying to think of other uses for that space, but I was at a loss, and it ate up a lot of interior room too. I REALLY didn’t want to bite off as big a project as removing the whole generator box, but that’s where this van seemed to be pointing us.

When we first started conceptualizing this project, we had a sense that the “Adventure Van” thing is pretty popular right now, and so we figured we might try to do the whole YouTube thing with it and see if we could generated some interest. Even though we were taking the quick and dirty approach to the bodywork and at this time still floating the idea of a house paint recolor, we decided to film a video about patching the giant whole left by the generator box. I preface by saying that if you’re doing a glossy paint job you’re going to want to take a different approach (especially as the repair ended up more visible even under our flat paint job than I thought it would be), but I go into that at the end of the video, and if you’ve never had a giant hole in your vehicle that needed to be welded up, the basics still apply. Anyway, I lay my sense of humility aside...

For your viewing pleasure:

Last edited:
So back to the paint job. I wanted to use real-deal Sherwin Williams CARC paint, but it’s hard to get and super toxic. GCI (Gillespie Coatings Inc {sp!?}) makes an Alkyd Enamel CARC substitute that’s supposed to be VERY durable, and not nearly as toxic to work with as the Chemical Agent Resistant Coating that the military uses. It’s stupid expensive for what it is, but it’s still way less than most commercial automotive paint.

As for application, a lot of folks still roll paint the GCI paints, but I decided to spray it, though I wish I hadn’t. The GCI paint is very thick, and even reducing it near the maximum recommended ratio, I still had a hell of time getting a consistent spray pattern. That, and because I had to thin it so much to get it come out the end of the gun, it also laid down without any perceptible texture (I was actually hoping to have some texture to mask my hurried body work). Nevertheless, the van is now all one color and whole lot less creepy looking.

At the same time that we did paint and body we decided to upgrade to the later model (2009-2016) telescoping tow mirrors. We paid the premium to use OEM Ford mirrors, because the quality is supposedly somewhat lacking on the Chinese repops. I was able to find a slightly used pair on eBay for $165 shipped, which is probably only about $50 a piece given the weight and cost of shipping these days.

There’s a lot of obfuscating about on the forums as to whether or not it is wise to install such heavy mirrors on the early van’s thinner door frames; some people recommend swapping the entire door...but, come on!? And there’s a couple of ways to go about the swap if you do decide to forego the cautions. Of all the tutorials out there, I found that Gary’s (Minalba’s) simple text post on the Diesel Stop Forum made the most sense to my brain (found here at the bottom of the page):

https://www.thedieselstop.com/forum...tions-160622/index3.html?amp=1&utm_source=amp

I chose Gary’s method because it keeps all four mirror studs intact, and once you get these mirrors in hand and heft their weight, you too will want to give them all the purchase on that door frame that you can. Some of the vans do have a bracket in the location where you are drilling for one of the two new stud locations; I just drilled right through it.

The last big paint and body work mod was to add pop-out rear windows. I got on http://www.car-part.com and searched for 1994 E350 rear door glass (the website does the crossover work for you). I found a pair in a junkyard about 50 miles from my house for $35 a piece (call and verify they’re the pop-out versions before you drive all the way out there), which is far better than the several hundreds of dollars per pair you find them for on eBay. I followed BrianW’s tutorial over on the Sportsmobile Forum for the install.

One tweak I might make is to go with the 1/4” window weld instead of the 5/16” that BrianW recommends. The 5/16” squeezed out of the frame and if you get right up on the door you can see it’s unevenness. It’s one of those things that will only ever bother me, but, whatever. Also, if you are only doing the two pop-out frames, one roll (15’ !?) is just enough...because the stuff isn’t cheap.

And here’s a shot of where this all leaves us (teased at the end of my patch panel video):

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears