Build Thread - 1990 Ford E-250 4x4 7.3 Pathfinder with a Falcon body swap.

bugwhacker

Observer
That's the plan anyway.

I just picked up the van tonight and drove it 80 miles to get it home.

It needs the front end rebuilt - bushings are bad and it wanders. Need to replace the column - it was damaged during a theft and isn't right anymore, plus I want a tilt column anyway.

Motor runs good and strong but dies if you lift the throttle too fast.

It is a Pathfinder conversion but the engine cradle has been really butchered, they didn't just notch it - it was cut and plates welded into it....

The original e4od trans was replaced at some time with a C-6 and a np205, I plan to put a 4r100 with PTO and some type of part-time transfer case with low reduction gears - I like the np205/203 doubler kits because its all gears and damn near indestructible with 4:1 reduction. I am open to suggestions about transfer cases and oddly this vans front fuel tank has never been cut and there is a lot of room down there?

The van is a long wheelbase model but it isn't the extended body super-van model. Is there a bolt on piece that is added to the frame to make it longer or is it a different frame? I plan to put a Falcon motor-home body on it just like in this thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/62776-4x4-Camper-Van-Project-Body-Swap

I plan to take this Van everywhere as a replacement for the over-sized monstrosity I was building from a M-35 deuce and Dodge dump truck blended into a 4 door cab. After traveling around a bit in South America/Mexico I came to realize it was way too tall and way too wide and way too HEAVY - 18,000lbs, plus it only got 8 - 10 mpg at best even though it was a multifuel motor that would run on anything.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...It needs the front end rebuilt - bushings are bad and it wanders. Need to replace the column - it was damaged during a theft and isn't right anymore, plus I want a tilt column anyway.
There are Moog ProblemSolver parts for most of the front-end that hold up much better and are greaseable, etc. Tilt is via the turn-signal lever so your current column may be equipped with tilt and you just not realize it if you were looking for a dedicated "tilt" lever.
Motor runs good and strong but dies if you lift the throttle too fast.
Does it die both hot and cold? Injection pump Advance Solenoid working? If yes to both you're pump might be a little gummy inside (or the levers outside) or your injectors could be a bit dirty/tired. IDIs are very easy to work on and parts are cheap. I'm no expert I guess but I've been around them a lot and turned plenty of wrenches. Fire away with any IDI questions here or check oilburners.
It is a Pathfinder conversion but the engine cradle has been really butchered, they didn't just notch it - it was cut and plates welded into it...
The original e4od trans was replaced at some time with a C-6 and a np205, I plan to put a 4r100 with PTO and some type of part-time transfer case with low reduction gears - I like the np205/203 doubler kits because its all gears and damn near indestructible with 4:1 reduction. I am open to suggestions about transfer cases and oddly this vans front fuel tank has never been cut and there is a lot of room down there?
The van is a long wheelbase model but it isn't the extended body super-van model. Is there a bolt on piece that is added to the frame to make it longer or is it a different frame? I plan to put a Falcon motor-home body on it just like in this thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/62776-4x4-Camper-Van-Project-Body-Swap
My 1989 Extended Body (EB in van-talk) is a solid frame from front bumper to rear, no removable extensions. If there was an extension I'd expect Ford to rivet, not bolt, it on.
I plan to take this Van everywhere as a replacement for the over-sized monstrosity I was building from a M-35 deuce and Dodge dump truck blended into a 4 door cab. After traveling around a bit in South America/Mexico I came to realize it was way too tall and way too wide and way too HEAVY - 18,000lbs, plus it only got 8 - 10 mpg at best even though it was a multifuel motor that would run on anything.
Mileage of the M-35 sounds very beatable by the 7.3.

Last edited:

bugwhacker

Observer
I do have one question on the 7.3 IDI that has been asked a million times but never really answered. The ambulance package came with 2 alternators supposedly, anyone have a picture of what it looked like? brackets needed etc? I have found lots of info for putting one on a Powerstroke but none for the 7.3 IDI. Before everyone says just get a bigger alternator that's not what I want but might be what I settle for. If I can figure out a way to mount it it's going in there.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
The 7.3 IDI ambulance package I've seen came with a Leece-Neville alternator of 165 amps. They were either internally or externally regulated and had 3 mounting points, 2 ears and 1 threaded boss. I've worked on both 6.9 and 7.3 NA ambulances and neither were dual-alternator setups but both were wheeled-coach builds so maybe some other converter used different options. The 6.9 had dual-v belts on the alternator and the 7.3 was serpentine.

bugwhacker

Observer
Will the serpentine belt setup off of a 7.3 PSD bolt up to the 7.3 IDI block? I know the PSD has a 2 alternator setup, I even got a line on the parts. I would really like 2 alternators so I can run my house batteries totally separate from my truck batteries. I am an electrician by trade working on generators and when it comes to dc it is way better to keep things separate if you can.

bugwhacker

Observer
I am looking for a ford van or diesel truck cluster with a tach from 1980 - 1991 with a trip odometer if possible.

Anyone got one up for sale?

Shocker

VanDOOM!
The 1990 should have had the C6 not the E40D. The NP205 would have been used as well. VanDOOM is a Pathfinder conversion as well and the front tank is also factory and intact.

I am also curious about the wheelbase. Both the RB and EB should have the same wheelbase, just a longer body for the EB.

So let's see some pics!

bugwhacker

Observer
Well based on the Vin and the overdrive "Off" button on the dash along with the shift indicator my Van was originally an e4od, I plan to put one back for mpg.

20150112_075142[1].jpg20150112_075248[1].jpg

bugwhacker

Observer
87Van.jpg

Here is the camper I am thinking of getting to put on top of it but its a 750 mile run one way to go get it.

They both have the same wheelbase but the frame is shorter on mine. I have the ford up-fitters manual though so lengthening the end of the frame wont be terrible.

Last edited:

bugwhacker

Observer
After some measuring I have determined I have a front intact 18 gallon tank and a rear 22 gallon tank. I am going to replace the rear with a 55 gallon one and run wmo in it with a heat exchanger and the front tank run a diesel/wmo mix.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
WMO shouldn't need a warmer. Good settling/filtration and RUG mix makes it flow like diesel at all temps. WVO sure does need heat tho. Tell me about this 55 gallon tank???

bugwhacker

Observer
The E-350 and E-450 cut chassis or commercial chassis had a 55 gallon tank behind the wheel tank in the 90's that fits our vans. Today I found myself a diesel tack cluster for my van and I believe one of those 55 gallon tanks. I will go back with tools and a ruler tomorrow to measure the tank out. The tank I found is on a 85 ford box truck and it is certainly bigger then the 22 gallon tank I have now but it could be just a 35 gallon one which isn't the end of the world either. See the link in my above post for more info.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Oh man I'm super interested in this. Wish I hadn't just bought a new in-tank pump but that's awesome capacity. Especially since my van has a single tank. New tank straps would obviously be needed but could it be as simple as just swapping tank and straps? Any links to info?

My 22 gallon tank. Dimensions 33-1/2" x 23-1/2" x 11-1/8".

1985-96 Bronco tank, 33 gallons. Dimensions: 31-7/8 X 22-1/4 X 15-3/4 inches. I've heard this can be swapped into vans easily:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears